World Cup 2018: Russia

VILLAMARV

Only thing I'd say about Russia is at least it's a country with a reasonable pedigree in Football so in that sense it's logical to take the World cup to that part of the world even if the occupants are pretty undesirable.

Apparently Putin and his friends have had words with the Hooligan leaders and told them to stay at home during the tournament so not to give an even worse impression of Russia so we'll see how that pans out!

Qatar hosting is just wrong on so many levels. Said before but I won't be going out of my way to watch the matches when it's on.

• Like 1

Amazing stuff from Iceland. Thought they'd lose a bit of organisation from Lagerback leaving but this would be brilliant to win a very tough group.

If Croatia lose in Ukraine they don't even make play offs.

Bit similar to Argentina as their FA is a shambles and it's finally translating onto the pitch.

If Argentina somehow don't win, then FIFA/Adidas/Nike will find a way to suspend some other team and have a playoff of Argentina vs some other suitably chosen fish in a barrel... but Argentina.

Argentinians and the Dutch at home would be lovely in my book.

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

I didn't see it. Guess Aguero didn't play but is he available for Ecuador. Don't want to see Argentina go out The world cup without Messi is like a world cup without Pele or Maradona in their day. it would lessen the competition. whilst we all like the underdogs to do well. The world cup needs the greats in it!

I wouldn't mention him in the same breath as either of them to be honest, he has never lit up a tournament like Maradona in 1986 or Pele in 1970 (or 1958 for that matter) and probably never will.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I wouldn't mention him in the same breath as either of them to be honest, he has never lit up a tournament like Maradona in 1986 or Pele in 1970 (or 1958 for that matter) and probably never will.

Yes for me Pele will always be the greatest. 

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Turkey disgust me, I seriously hope they do not make it.

They are out.

After tonight, Group I sees Iceland needing to beat Kosovo in their last game to qualify automatically. If they were to somehow only draw the winner of Ukraine v Croatia would finish top on goal difference pushing Iceland into second. A draw in that match leaves Croatia in 2nd place regardless of the Iceland result.

Group G is all over bar the formalities. Spain qualify. Italy go into the play offs.

Group D Serbia need a win at home to Georgia to win the group. Wales and Ireland play each other in Cardiff. Ireland need a win and Georgia to win to finish top. A Wales win and a draw in Serbia would see them top the group. Wales will finish second if they draw. Whether they would have enough points for the play offs remains to be seen.

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Apparently Putin and his friends have had words with the Hooligan leaders and told them to stay at home during the tournament so not to give an even worse impression of Russia so we'll see how that pans out!

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

yeah I dont think Putin would risk letting the hooligans run riot. I think be a perfectly ran World Cup to show Russian dominance to the world

You guys have more faith in the extent of Putin's control than I do. He is obviously a very powerful political leader, to the point of having no real opposition, but he isn't God and I'm not sure he's Chief Hooligan either - I don't think he can just tell people not to turn up and be violent and expect that that will be followed to the letter. I would expect a lot of stadium bans and hooligan types being rounded-up and given a little police detention for other infractions and so on, but I'm still expecting a lot of violence, directed at England fans in particular. 

I would advise any England fan not to go. 

39 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You guys have more faith in the extent of Putin's control than I do. He is obviously a very powerful political leader, to the point of having no real opposition, but he isn't God and I'm not sure he's Chief Hooligan either - I don't think he can just tell people not to turn up and be violent and expect that that will be followed to the letter. I would expect a lot of stadium bans and hooligan types being rounded-up and given a little police detention for other infractions and so on, but I'm still expecting a lot of violence, directed at England fans in particular. 

I would advise any England fan not to go. 

maybe but I think is a lot of scaremongering as usual going into this World Cup. 2010 and 2014 had similar scary stories and nothing came up

for me South Africa would scare me more than a trip to Russia

Ahmed Elmohamady's Egypt could qualify tomorrow with a win over bottom team Congo after Uganda and Ghana just played out a 0-0 draw.

South Africa just kept their hopes alive with a 3-1 win over group leaders Burkina Faso. Senegal and Cape Verde play today where a win sends either team top. All 4 teams could still qualify.

Kodjia and the Ivory Coast played out a 0-0 draw with bottom team Mali yesterday. They now need a win at home against Morocco in their last game.

Nigeria need a win to qualify against Zambia who are currently 3 points behind them and need at least a point to keep their hopes alive.

In the other group Tunisia lead DR Congo by 3 points with 2 games to play and as such need 4 points from their last 2 games to qualify.

Be good to see Egypt at a world cup again. Keep on winning African Cup of Nations yet kept missing out on past tournaments.

Nigeria just qualified, got some exciting young players.

Cape Verde-Senegal is an entertaining game, Cape Verde should be leading but missed one-on-one.

Â