VillaTalk Deadpool 2017

Jimzk5

A sombre thought for the afternoon, but the appropriate thread at least.

Whenever I hear of anybody in their 80s or 90s passing away, for some reason I always assume they weren't sad, they weren't scared, they weren't aware of what was happening or they may have even been happy to go, seeing it as 'their time'.

But it's probably not the case and I find that a bit upsetting when I think about it.

Aaaaanyway, did anyone have Colin Baxter or whatever his name was...

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Dedicated to Mr McGuiness ;) RIP sir.

Love it. The Ra rattling ingerlund types for 30+ years and counting. I expect a lustier then usual rendition of **** the IRA in Germany tomorrow night.

2 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Love it. The Ra rattling ingerlund types for 30+ years and counting. I expect a lustier then usual rendition of **** the IRA in Germany tomorrow night.

As it happens I'm not an ingerlund type and I won't be watching tomorrow night.

while not condoning anything he done in his paramilitary or political life, McGuinness always seemed to come across as a complex character. He loved cricket the most British of sports and seemed soft spoken for a man in the position he was in that he sounded more like a teacher than anything else. He done some good things but I think the bad things certainly outweighed them.

I think the way I see it is that if was reversed and Gerry Adams had died, I dont think he would have got anything like the media coverage. Which shows the difference between the two

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

Former Liverpool player, coach, and Boot Room stalwart, Ronnie Moran has died, aged 83.

Sounds suspiciously like an Irish terrorist

:trollface::trollface::trollface::trollface:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Chuck Barris, writer of "Palisades Park", host of The Gong Show, and supposed CIA agent, dead at 87

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

Good movie.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

My cousin served in Northern Ireland with his best mate. One of them never came back.  They never killed anyone, they were just doing a job to support their family back home. I'd appreciate you didn't call them "murdering scumbags". 

I know it might be hard for an IRA supporter to understand. But they were simply defending our land of Northern Ireland and one of them gave their life for it. 

Yep, I also know a "para" who served in NI.  He's a lovely bloke who attends/organises all sorts of charity do's.  His son has Down's Syndrome and he raised enough money + more to help fund his son and a team of Special Olympians get to the winter Olympics a few years ago, his son is now the extremely proud owner of an Olympic Gold medal in Slalom Skiing.  Many of the team this man helped to get over there (no funding for the Special Olympics back then) also won medals. 

He lost friends over there, but never speaks about it, only very vaguely and you couldn't meet a more generous person if you tried.  He's even helped me out when I moved into my first home with furniture and free financial advice (he's a financial advisor) and I don't have that much to do with him in fairness, but he's a genuine good guy. 

The army to him was a way out of a deprived Liverpool in the 60s, it was a job where he met his wife (a nurse who nursed him when he jumped out of a plane and broke his legs).  He goes to Arnhem yearly for the WW2 festival for Market Garden, has raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for charities and is genuinely one of the most interesting people I know. 

Strange how politics can remove the humanity because of what the people involved chose to do for themselves.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I know it might be hard for an IRA supporter to understand. But they were simply defending our land of Northern Ireland and one of them gave their life for it. 

Murdering peaceful protestors on the streets of Derry is a funny way of 'defending your land', much like blowing up children for the cause of a United Ireland is objectionable to say the least.

McGuinness was no angel, but neither were the British actors involved. If you're going to call one side murdering scumbags (which is what i was responding to if you care to read the post I responded to) then you can call the otherside the same.

To quote Gerry Adams, McGuinness didn't go to war, the war came to him.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm sure that many of the people pointing out McGuiness's dubious past would praise Nelson Mandela

I'd be more likely to praise them if their cause was them taking up a gun and climbing out of a ditch charging towards enemy lines .. but bombs in bins  , nah **** that , whatever the merits of a cause they lost the right to forgiveness at that point 

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I too have friends that served in the British army. They are nice guys, but that doesn't blind me to the fact that the British army (like all armies) has done some seriously evil stuff, or that the Irish Catholic/Republican community had (and have) some serious grievances. 

I also have friends who have had tangential connections to the IRA. Also nice guys. That doesn't blind me to the fact that the paramilitaries (on both 'sides') were frequently no better than criminal gangs. 

At some point we have to let it go, or face more centuries of blood feuds that perpetuate entirely spurious divisions in communities that have far more in common than they have been conditioned to believe. 

I'm sure that many of the people pointing out McGuiness's dubious past would praise Nelson Mandela - whose history was not so different. Terrorists or freedom fighters? Maybe both, maybe neither. 

Let's not turn VT into another social media ranting platform. 

I agree with this sentiment (and said as much - there's blood on everyone's hands in the Troubles, and I'd not mourn anyone involved).

But I wouldn't compare Mandela to McGuiness. Mandela was a terrorist but his time saw his group as a sabotage outfit IIRC. They attacked infrastructure etc. McGuiness presided over attacks against people.

Both became forces for good and both made things better ultimately, but their pasts are different and I'd not mention them in the same breath.

2 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Murdering peaceful protestors on the streets of Derry is a funny way of 'defending your land', much like blowing up children for the cause of a United Ireland is objectionable to say the least.

McGuinness was no angel, but neither were the British actors involved. If you're going to call one side murdering scumbags (which is what i was responding to if you care to read the post I responded to) then you can call the otherside the same.

To quote Gerry Adams, McGuinness didn't go to war, the war came to him.

Then you've really missed the point, haven't you? I know little about the man or what he's involved in. But your response to someone who insulted him, and who you say yourself is no angel, was to make a generalisation about all British forces. Because said "wankfest" every year is to honour all of those who have served, so either you believe they're all "murdering scum", or you've just not portrayed your point how you would've liked. It's pretty easy to see why someone who's had friends/family in the forces would be annoyed by you giving them that label. 

I'd like to hope you don't believe that and just put your point across poorly. But either way I've said my piece and won't clutter the thread up anymore. 

• Like 1

Â