VillaTalk Deadpool 2017

Jimzk5

OK, NOW Brian Matthew's dead. I used to watch him on TV when I was a kid, and I thought he was ANCIENT even then. I mean, look, this was 1963! 

FB_IMG_1491718978254.jpg

• Like 1

Rip Brian Matthews, even though I was born in 1974 I still found his Sounds of the 60s show a nice easy start to a Saturday and he was immensely knowledgeable about his music.

As he would say "that's yer lot" 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Rip Brian Matthews, even though I was born in 1974 I still found his Sounds of the 60s show a nice easy start to a Saturday and he was immensely knowledgeable about his music.

As he would say "that's yer lot" 

Strange mix of Beatles-esque pop, surfer rock, rockabilly and campy television show theme song.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Strange mix of Beatles-esque pop, surfer rock, rockabilly and campy television show theme song.

Not familiar with The Shadows? Originally Cliff Richard's backing band, they were MASSIVE in the UK in the late 50s/early 60s, with a string of guitar instrumentals. Hank B. Marvin was the first person in Britain to own a Fender Stratocaster, and was a big influence on the young Neil Young (he gets a namecheck on the sleeve of 'Buffalo Springfield Again'). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not familiar with The Shadows? Originally Cliff Richard's backing band, they were MASSIVE in the UK in the late 50s/early 60s, with a string of guitar instrumentals. Hank B. Marvin was the first person in Britain to own a Fender Stratocaster, and was a big influence on the young Neil Young (he gets a namecheck on the sleeve of 'Buffalo Springfield Again'). 

Biggest influence on Tony Iommi was the shadows and hank Marvin. He loved Clapton,page etc but the shadows were the ones that influenced him the most.

18 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Biggest influence on Tony Iommi was the shadows and hank Marvin. He loved Clapton,page etc but the shadows were the ones that influenced him the most.

Hank Marvin was the first bona fide British guitar hero - probably inspired more kids of the Clapton generation to pick up a guitar than any black American bluesman. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hank Marvin was the first bona fide British guitar hero - probably inspired more kids of the Clapton generation to pick up a guitar than any black American bluesman. 

So can we now say Cliff Richards is kind of cool? 

43 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

So can we now say Cliff Richards is kind of cool? 

No. But his first couple of singles (especially 'Move It') were damn fine rock'n'roll. But - as with his role model Elvis - followed by a descent into showbiz and schmalz. 

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No. But his first couple of singles (especially 'Move It') were damn fine rock'n'roll. But - as with his role model Elvis - followed by a descent into showbiz and schmalz. 

I take you're no fan of wired for sound then? ;)

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

No, never heard of them. Big bright sound on this track, I'll have to check out more of their material.

A couple of my mates are in a Shadows tribute band. I'd always avoided going along to their local gigs as I'm a bit too cool for that kind of thing.

Finally went along to one a few years back and they and the music were fantastic.

Sadly, the Shadows have a slightly cheesey safe image. A bit more hotel room smashing or a bit of publicised drug abuse and they'd have had a lot more 'cred'.

Also, for the record, let's not forget their influence on rhyming slang. I'm absolutely Hank Marvin = I'm really rather hungry.

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I thought that was Bert Weedon :)

34 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I thought that was Bert Weedon :)

Yeah, him too. The thing was to learn from reading Bert's "Play in a Day" book. But his image was terminally uncool old bloke. So you got a Strat and copped your moves off Hank. 

I got a weekly visit from Phil Swern for a few years at the end of the noughties. He wasn't scared of the whacked out stuff and appreciated a good instro or Beatles cover.

Like to think this was when SOTS was at its most groovy and Psychedelic ;)

He wouldn't take foreign language stuff, though I never stopped chipping. 

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Sadly, the Shadows have a slightly cheesey safe image. A bit more hotel room smashing or a bit of publicised drug abuse and they'd have had a lot more 'cred'.

Bad Shadow - Jet Harris

Cool Shadow - Brian Bennett

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

J. Geils found dead in his home..I saw them play a gig in 1983, in Worcester, Mass. at the height of their success.

Woah, bad one. Saw 'em in 1973, absolute powerhouse live band, could teach the Stones a thing or two. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Â