Red Dead Redemption 2

hogso

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Just to clear this up, I meant Redemption. Didn't know Revolver existed til now.

Red Dead Revolver was an interesting time in Rockstar Games history, as on one hand they were one of the best in the world releasing GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas within 3 years was mind blowing, but on the other hand they made some absolute shit.

In between the GTA releases they developed State of Emergency, Smuggler's Run 1, 2 and 3, Manhunt and Red Dead Revolver which were all sub-par releases by Rockstar Games standards, while all of them have been largely ignored by the modern Rockstar Games.

Rockstar back then pumped games out as if they were nothing, I mean Rockstar in the last decade have released 7 games, in the previous decade they released 18 games.. They have gotten so much more selective over the years and it's working. 

26 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Rockstar back then pumped games out as if they were nothing, I mean Rockstar in the last decade have released 7 games, in the previous decade they released 18 games.. They have gotten so much more selective over the years and it's working. 

Why bother making anything when they are raking in over $500 million from selling shark cards.

For all the complaints about EA / loot boxes lately they seem to have avoided any real mainstream criticism despite some digitial ingame items actually costing over £100 of real money or hundreds/thousand of hours of grinding. If you are daft/have too much money and wanted everything in GTA online without putting in any time it would cost you somewhere around £3000 in real money

Oh of course @LakotaDakota Rockstar Games have made $6 billion post-release of GTA V with 50% of that being from micro-transactions.

That said this transition to quality over quantity started way before they started this whole printing money thing, not that I'm excusing it at all. I fully expect Red Dead Online to have Coyote Cards as this game is their next 5 year cash cow. 

1 hour ago, Daweii said:

Red Dead Revolver was an interesting time in Rockstar Games history, as on one hand they were one of the best in the world releasing GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas within 3 years was mind blowing, but on the other hand they made some absolute shit.

In between the GTA releases they developed State of Emergency, Smuggler's Run 1, 2 and 3, Manhunt and Red Dead Revolver which were all sub-par releases by Rockstar Games standards, while all of them have been largely ignored by the modern Rockstar Games.

Whilst I largely agree with that, State of Emergency and Manhunt were good games at the time.  Bully as well is a good game I've heard. 

Red Dead Revolver was a funny one, I don't know anyone who played it, and it came out at a similar time as "Gun" - which was absolutely fantastic at the time.  So good in fact, that apart from scale, I don't think Redemption really added anything that Gun hadn't already done.  Wonderful game, great graphics (at the time), and plenty of things to do.  

In this, I fully expect to have more flexibility over how you use the lasso.  I want to tie it to trees to trip horses etc.  

• Like 1

On 03/05/2018 at 13:03, lapal_fan said:

Whilst I largely agree with that, State of Emergency and Manhunt were good games at the time.  Bully as well is a good game I've heard. 

Red Dead Revolver was a funny one, I don't know anyone who played it, and it came out at a similar time as "Gun" - which was absolutely fantastic at the time.  So good in fact, that apart from scale, I don't think Redemption really added anything that Gun hadn't already done.  Wonderful game, great graphics (at the time), and plenty of things to do.  

In this, I fully expect to have more flexibility over how you use the lasso.  I want to tie it to trees to trip horses etc.  

Red Dead Revolver was half way though development when Take 2/Rockstar bought Angel Studios (who would go on to be rebranded as Rockstar San Diego) so the game didn't really have the resources allocated to it that the real big games like GTA were afforded.  Red Dead Redemption did get that backing in development and the rest is history.  I'm still kinda annoyed that they broke the naming convention for the third game because I think Red Dead any other word beginning with 'R'  would still have the brand recognition. 

Supposedly the engine and systems underneath the original Redemption was barely holding together to get it working on the consoles they released it for, porting it was too much work (and potentially likely to spawn even more work as problems arose), so they never bothered. Supposedly the state of the game underneath the surface is the reason RDR famously has dozens of bizarre bugs.

The story behind the making of that game is very interesting. It's a miracle they finished it, and to do so they put their staff through hell. They would have been glad to get it out at all.

It also didn't help that Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 were on custom hardware which made porting difficult to begin with. There are thousands of games from that generation that didn't wind up on PC as a result. I'm not doubting that Red Dead Redemption pushed that build of the RAGE engine to its limits, but that era was just brutal for PC owners in general because of the Xenon/Xenos (360) and CELL (PS3) just not playing ball with more traditional hardware on PC. You only have to look at GTA IV's PC port to see what happened when a developer did try a port, I mean that game ran like shit on powerful hardware at launch and still runs worse than it should some 9 years later. 

I think Rockstar Games will put in the work to port Red Dead Redemption if the green light is given to port Red Dead Redemption 2 to PC, but if that doesn't get a green light then Rockstar have no reason to go through with the work. 

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't include the game, but your £130 or whatever gets you a jigsaw puzzle.. I **** love modern gaming ?

I'll likely be getting the Ultimate Edition, I hate that its locked away exclusive single player and multiplayer content, but I will be getting the game regardless so I may as well get the "best" version that still comes with the game. 

• Like 1

I'm not paying nearly 100 quid for any computer game. I'll get the standard edition on pre-order with a couple of bonuses thrown in at Game.

@Daweii I wouldn't fret, bonus content is always throwaway stuff really. The bonus horse you got with Red Dead Redemption probably made the game worse as it made players miss out on an entire little quest line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

@Daweii I wouldn't fret, bonus content is always throwaway stuff really. The bonus horse you got with Red Dead Redemption probably made the game worse as it made players miss out on an entire little quest line. 

I wouldn't say I'm fretting too much, I know it's throwaway stuff it always is and I understand its purpose from a business standpoint, but mentally my mind can't let me buy what it deems to be the "inferior" version and I've always been like that unfortunately. ?

48 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

And that's how they exploit you. 

To be fair I fight so much bullshit in this industry from loot crates to other forms of micro-transactions, If this is my one weakness then so be it. You're not telling me anything I don't already know.. 

2 hours ago, Risso said:

"Does not include game"!!  Bloody hell, I've seen everything now. Why would anybody want all that tat if you're not getting the game as well?!

That's unbelievable.

Guarantee 95% of people who buy that box will never use or look at anything in it more than once. Absolute tat.

Â