Red Dead Redemption 2

hogso

19 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I've nothing left to do now as I have no interest in hunting or crafting so I'm using the cheats found on the back of every newspaper and just causing carnage.

Max health, max ammo  and the homing tomahawk,  whilst stood on a rooftop in Saint Denis is amazing fun.

there are cheats on the back of newspapers?! well bugger me...

20 hours ago, Risso said:

Actually to clarify, it's only the first bit of Chapter 5 that's bad.  The bit when you get back is much more like it.

i actually really enjoyed the island...really appreciated also the level of detail they put into an area that you spend such little time in

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

there are cheats on the back of newspapers?! well bugger me...

i actually really enjoyed the island...really appreciated also the level of detail they put into an area that you spend such little time in

I hated it, every second.  I've also got the feeling that there were probably things there like wildlife that I won't be able to go back and see again.

Finished it now and sold it off again. It's a great setting, good storyline and I didn't mind chapter 5 that everyone hated. The problem is that, like a lot of recent GTA Games, the mission design is boring. All the missions are pretty much the same and the actual gameplay isn't interesting. I turned off aim assist just so I would have something to do in the missions. Other than that it is a masterpiece but some one needs to realise fast that pressing 'X' during a cutscene is pointless and is not gameplay. 

Just finished the main story.  Absolutely loved, but the end few missions started to drag a bit.  Do a bit with the Indians, question Dutch, do a bit more with the Indians, question Dutch again, rinse and repeat.

Anyway, on to the epilogue...

Quick question which I wouldn't mind an answer to, put in a spoiler just in case anybody is still playing.

Spoiler

I never did anything around Blackwater in the main game.  Tried a bit of exploring a couple of times, but The Law would instantly spawn out of nowhere and then two shot me with what could only be an M16 or something equally deadly.  Each time, you'd then respawn back over the river where there was no dead or alive bounty.  It's a bit annoying as I wanted to do the horse challenge where you have to beat the clock from Van Horn to Blackwater, but there's no way I was trying that if it was going to end in certain oblivion the minute I crossed the border.  Also, three of the legendary beasts were in that area, but again, seemed impossible to get with the teleporting lawmen sent to gun you down.  I assume this area opens up in the epilogue, but can you still do the outstanding challenges with John?

1 hour ago, Risso said:

Just finished the main story.  Absolutely loved, but the end few missions started to drag a bit.  Do a bit with the Indians, question Dutch, do a bit more with the Indians, question Dutch again, rinse and repeat.

Anyway, on to the epilogue...

Quick question which I wouldn't mind an answer to, put in a spoiler just in case anybody is still playing.

Hide contents

I never did anything around Blackwater in the main game.  Tried a bit of exploring a couple of times, but The Law would instantly spawn out of nowhere and then two shot me with what could only be an M16 or something equally deadly.  Each time, you'd then respawn back over the river where there was no dead or alive bounty.  It's a bit annoying as I wanted to do the horse challenge where you have to beat the clock from Van Horn to Blackwater, but there's no way I was trying that if it was going to end in certain oblivion the minute I crossed the border.  Also, three of the legendary beasts were in that area, but again, seemed impossible to get with the teleporting lawmen sent to gun you down.  I assume this area opens up in the epilogue, but can you still do the outstanding challenges with John?

Yes.

Just because you can't have an online game without some sort of battle royale nowadays a new mode has been added to RDR online.

Gun Rush is where " you’ll put your survival instincts to the test, gathering weapons and ammunition while the play area shrinks in this new mode for up to 32 players. Available to play now in Free-for-all and Team variations, where the last one standing wins."

https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2/news/article/60804/Red-Dead-Online-Beta-Update

7 hours ago, Risso said:

Thanks @Michelsen.

That aspect of the game really pissed me off. Was going for a load of full garment sets, and couldn't complete them.  Shite game design that.

Not really, you always know that it will be possible to get 100% completion in every R* game so if you can't do something or miss something you will be able to do it later. 

13 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I actually quite liked the flatpack ranch building and kinda wished they had expanded on it.

It would be cool to design and build your own little homestead.

That's exactly what I was expecting where you could add rooms/features to boost your farm income/get bonuses. Instead it was ride into town, watch cut scene, press X, finish cut scene. 

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

That's exactly what I was expecting where you could add rooms/features to boost your farm income/get bonuses. Instead it was ride into town, watch cut scene, press X, finish cut scene. 

i would imagine the outside shell of the house would always have to remain the same though, otherwise would require quite significant developement of any cut scenes that involve your house if everyone's was custom built

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i would imagine the outside shell of the house would always have to remain the same though, otherwise would require quite significant developement of any cut scenes that involve your house if everyone's was custom built

It could have worked like the camp upgrade system. Pay for a cosmetic upgrade and then you get a perk. 

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It could have worked like the camp upgrade system. Pay for a cosmetic upgrade and then you get a perk. 

oh i see...i've only just built my house so i assumed it would turn into a similar concept to the camps...that's a shame that it doesnt.

Spoiler

the overall camp upgrade thing i feel that they missed a trick on. i was quite enjoying the whole donating, supplying etc and then they moved on somewhere else, before the story ended and there were no more camps at all. and of course, like anything in life, throw money at a problem and it goes away. i'd have liked to have been forced to lived off the land a bit more. like they could have made it that the camp are happier if they're eating freshly caught meat and fish than if they're choking down canned beans. or the chef wants to cook a particular stew and he needs X meat and Y plants or something...i guess i'm being picky but it just seemed like keeping the camp happy was too easy once the money started rolling in

• 2 weeks later...

Just starting out on this now, about 3 hours in so the snow has just cleared.

Its clearly very polished and I am just starting to get my eye in, the movement of the character seems a bit clunky and all the button presses for different actions is somewhat counter intuitive at times but looking forward to putting some hard hours in soon.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Â