Jump to content

The Apple Thread


Recommended Posts

Just now, blandy said:

That’s odd. Mine unlocks in the dark. 

Ohhhh that’s interesting.  I’ve assumed its the dark causing it to try and fail... maybe it’s something else.

I’m going to have to test different scenarios to work it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
20 minutes ago, limpid said:

Apple could have invented the fingerprint sensor on the back or through the screen like other phones have had for a few years, but you're right that it wouldn't help when wearing gloves. Perhaps they could have had both face and fingerprint sensors to maximise usability - might have cost a couple of quid in components.

My Android has both, but neither work as reliably as the iPhone single version. Also the sensor on the back is next to the camera lens, and the cover I keep it in, though it has a cut out, still makes it harder to use. The face recognition is utterly crap on it, too. There’s plenty apple get wrong, but both the face recognition and the fingerprint sensors are way better than other maker’s versions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Ohhhh that’s interesting.  I’ve assumed its the dark causing it to try and fail... maybe it’s something else.

I’m going to have to test different scenarios to work it out.

Maybe you hold it differently? Too close to your face? At an angle. If I’m waking up in the morning I do hold mine slightly further than reading distance to unlock it. It even works with bits of duvet partially in the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
4 minutes ago, Risso said:

I think the days of Apple stuff 'just working' came to an end at least 6 years ago.

That’s about the time I left Android and not looked back.

The face unlock is immense. 
I had a Note 9 for a little while and the face unlock was a nightmare, had to wave the thing in front of my face to get it to work.

On my iPhone it’s like my iPhone is always unlocked as soon as I swipe up it’s unlocks regardless of how I’m holding it. The camera always gets enough face to unlock instantly.

They so need to do a mask setting where it can get enough information from the eyes to unlock.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/03/2021 at 20:01, blandy said:

That’s odd. Mine unlocks in the dark. 

Same. Mine unlocks with a mask on too.

It's far better than the fingerprint sensor was, although I agree with @limpid that having both would be a far better option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

13 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Facelock doesn't work for me when I have a mask on while my android with fingerprint sensor works like a dream

Stick a mask on your finger and tell us if it still works 🤣

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/04/2021 at 20:56, dubbs said:

Stick a mask on your finger and tell us if it still works 🤣

So I have been doing some building work in the garden and it's roughed the skin on my hands up and now the scanner doesn't recognize my fingerprint.....

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator

iOs 14.5 is out. Game changer for data privacy. It introduces App Tracking transparency, giving you the ability to turn off cross app tracking, on an app by app basis (in my case every app)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
On 27/04/2021 at 13:20, bickster said:

iOs 14.5 is out. Game changer for data privacy. It introduces App Tracking transparency, giving you the ability to turn off cross app tracking, on an app by app basis (in my case every app)

 

You can also turn it off as default for all apps which is good.

Settings -> privacy -> allow apps to track

Best feature for me is now I can unlock my phone whilst wearing a face mask if I’m wearing my Apple Watch. 

Settings -> Face ID and passcode -> unlock with Apple watch

 

 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Genie said:

Best feature for me is now I can unlock my phone whilst wearing a face mask if I’m wearing my Apple Watch. 

Settings -> Face ID and passcode -> unlock with Apple watch

I've been doing this for years on Android. I'm genuinely surprised that this is new on iOS.

But blandy won't be using it....

On 26/03/2021 at 17:41, blandy said:
Quote

But seriously, doesn't your square watch keep your phone unlocked?

I'd certainly hope not. Anyone getting mugged - wahey! for the robbers. I mean how hard exactly is looking at a phone in order to unlock it?

:mrgreen: :trollface:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, limpid said:

I've been doing this for years on Android. I'm genuinely surprised that this is new on iOS.

But blandy won't be using it....

Definitely not. And not just because I neither have, nor want, a smart watch. It’s a security weakness. I guess Apple has responded to request from users and allowed the trade off of loss of security with ease of unlocking whilst wearing a mask. Muggers rejoice!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I have the ios15 beta and its OK. The only thing that is beyond irritating to me, to the point I have ditched Safari over it is the Safari redesign. Address bar at the bottom. It’s a step too far for me. A few other moved items and on the whole it made it a pain to use, I know I probably would get used to it in time but I feel its a step to far and have added Firefox, its more traditional for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I have the ios15 beta and its OK. The only thing that is beyond irritating to me, to the point I have ditched Safari over it is the Safari redesign. Address bar at the bottom. It’s a step too far for me. A few other moved items and on the whole it made it a pain to use, I know I probably would get used to it in time but I feel its a step to far and have added Firefox, its more traditional for me. 

That sounds awful, but then also, very practical. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

hopefully the right thread, I got a loan of an Apple TV for 2 weeks and was wondering if anybody knows if its possible to connect it to a Windows laptop. I have a feeling the answer is No but worth a try

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Zatman said:

hopefully the right thread, I got a loan of an Apple TV for 2 weeks and was wondering if anybody knows if its possible to connect it to a Windows laptop. I have a feeling the answer is No but worth a try

Search for Airparrot. But just buy yourself a Chromecast.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â