The Apple Thread

Stevo985

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Is this “dongle” something that sits outside the natural shape of the phone, if so that’s still an issue for me

Yes. it's a tiny extension of the lead. It's barely noticeable when it's attached

Fair enough if it's still an issue, I'm not sure why it would be though.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes. it's a tiny extension of the lead. It's barely noticeable when it's attached

Fair enough if it's still an issue, I'm not sure why it would be though.

It could have been an issue because of how and where I use my phone when driving (which I obviously do a reasonable amount) but having seen it, its no longer going to be an issue

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

ipad mini or a similar sized android tablet then?

Maybe I'm not explain ing myself as well as I could. I want a new phone for a whole variety of reasons some of which I've posted here. Some of it is to separate Work/Personal use.

I want to keep my old phone but with a data only sim in it (this is for work stuff, company Twitter, taking card payments, email etc) The 6s is fine for this and because it's old it can hang off the dashboard in its cradle as it currently does and if it gets stolen I won't give too much of a shit. I want a new phone for me, for my personal stuff and personal projects and for that I want a bigger screen and I don't want it in such a vulnerable position for the obvious reasons

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Maybe I'm not explain ing myself as well as I could. I want a new phone for a whole variety of reasons some of which I've posted here. Some of it is to separate Work/Personal use.

I want to keep my old phone but with a data only sim in it (this is for work stuff, company Twitter, taking card payments, email etc) The 6s is fine for this and because it's old it can hang off the dashboard in its cradle as it currently does and if it gets stolen I won't give too much of a shit. I want a new phone for me, for my personal stuff and personal projects and for that I want a bigger screen and I don't want it in such a vulnerable position for the obvious reasons

Ah sorry, yeah i misunderstood.

I thought you wanted the new device to be your data only device for the work stuff and wanted the bigger screen for that, i.e. you didn't really need a new phone.

I get you now :thumb: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Is this “dongle” something that sits outside the natural shape of the phone, if so that’s still an issue for me

It makes your headphones lead about 2 inches longerdongle.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, bickster said:

Too big, I have an iPad anyway 

Sounds like you need a Galaxy Note.

I made the switch at the back end of last year.  There was a bit of hassle uncoupling from the Apple ecosystem, but once I'd managed that (with a bit of help from @blandy) I haven't looked back.

I absolutely love it.  Huge screen, top functionality, I can customise it to the point that I have the interface looking like iOS but - if you're that way inclined - you can even choose your typeface.  You can even reprogram the hard buttons if you want to amend their usage - there's a "Bixby button", which is like Siri, that I've been able to reprogram to give me instant access to an app I use frequently instead.

The camera is sensational.  I have the 8, but the 9 is apparently even better.

I know this is the Apple thread, but I was an Apple evangelist for ages until the launch of the iPhone X.  I all just started to feel so lazy and exploitative from both a design and tech perspective.

I'd genuinely recommend peeking over the fence.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Sounds like you need a Galaxy Note.

I made the switch at the back end of last year.  There was a bit of hassle uncoupling from the Apple ecosystem, but once I'd managed that (with a bit of help from @blandy) I haven't looked back.

I absolutely love it.  Huge screen, top functionality, I can customise it to the point that I have the interface looking like iOS but - if you're that way inclined - you can even choose your typeface.  You can even reprogram the hard buttons if you want to amend their usage - there's a "Bixby button", which is like Siri, that I've been able to reprogram to give me instant access to an app I use frequently instead.

The camera is sensational.  I have the 8, but the 9 is apparently even better.

I know this is the Apple thread, but I was an Apple evangelist for ages until the launch of the iPhone X.  I all just started to feel so lazy and exploitative from both a design and tech perspective.

I'd genuinely recommend peeking over the fence.

I think people eventually just like change.

I'm the total opposite to you. I was Apple years ago then jumped to Android about 6 or 7 years ago and had Samsung, Nexus, Sony phones etc

Last year got bored and made the jump back to iPhone and was blown away by the 8 plus so I'm sticking with iPhone for the near future.

I've had iPhones for 9 years and i'll probably move away from them when I get my next phone. I'm due an upgrade now but not fussed about changing just yet 

Like @Stevo985 said, sometimes people just want change. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think people eventually just like change.

I'm the total opposite to you. I was Apple years ago then jumped to Android about 6 or 7 years ago and had Samsung, Nexus, Sony phones etc

Last year got bored and made the jump back to iPhone and was blown away by the 8 plus so I'm sticking with iPhone for the near future.

Out of curiosity, did you largely stay with the Google platform for email, photos, storage, etc, or did you move everything to Apple equivalents?

As far as I can see, if you stick with the Google ecosystem, there's not much difference at the moment and it's easy to move back and fore.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Out of curiosity, did you largely stay with the Google platform for email, photos, storage, etc, or did you move everything to Apple equivalents?

As far as I can see, if you stick with the Google ecosystem, there's not much difference at the moment and it's easy to move back and fore.

Most things I stayed with Google. 

Probably just calendar which I moved, and even that I can't remember why I did it.

Photos I use the iPhone app to view, but I have everything stored on Google. I don't backup with icloud.

Oh and I might have moved music to Apple Music too but started using Spotify instead so that's a non issue.

There hasn't seemed to be any problem using Google stuff with the iphone (or my macbook fwiw)

• Like 1

Ordered myself an Apple Watch 3 and the latest (cheapest) iPad yesterday. No real reason other than I just wanted them so thought **** it. Will get an Apple Pencil for Christmas so I myself don’t have to pay £80 for it. 

Been tempted to order an XS as well but my 7 is still going strong and the new phones offer nothing I need that the 7 doesn’t already do. I’m sure in 6 months time when Apple have crippled it with cynical updates I’ll be cursing them but for now the 7 is still a **** beast of a phone.

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ouch, updated to 12 this morning. my already shit battery on the 6s needs replacing today! Its plugged in and the only app open is Spotify and the battery life is going down not up!

Sod knows what'll happen when I unplug it

This is because when the OS is updated, the phone has to re-index everything, which takes up a fair chunk of processing. It'll stop being so power hungry when that's happened. 

• Like 1

Screen Time is a nonsense.

It isn’t Screen Time at all, it’s app usage time.

For example this morning I have been using my iPad for approx 2hrs for entertainment. What this means is I’ve been using Spotify for approx 2hrs. The Screen Time is approximately 5mins as that’s as long as I’ve been using the screen to change music. The screen has by and large been off, music has been playing through my HiFi but nothing else has been done. So that is just silly, not that I really care

Also noticed it appears to have broken my Grammarly Keyboard, which is quite annoying

On 23/09/2018 at 20:54, Genie said:

This might be useful for owners of older handsets like me.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/iphone-battery-repair-out-of-warranty-25-apple-3049919

Have you ever tried to book an appointment for a £25 battery replacement? Give it a go and tell me how you get on. I gave up, never a convenient slot, always 2 different weekdays at say 3pm or 11am, you know when no-one with a job can actually get to an Apple Shop

Â