The Apple Thread

Stevo985

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I went to have a look at the Note 8 today, alongside the iPhone 8 Plus.  I really think I'm gonna make the jump.

I would have been tempted, but for being **** around by Samsung in the past. Looks a beautiful phone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I went to have a look at the Note 8 today, alongside the iPhone 8 Plus.  I really think I'm gonna make the jump.

Regardless of which way you jump, continuing to get your data out of Apple is a good thing. Once it's in Google it's available whichever platform you use and the Google platform is confident enough in it's offering to allow you to easily export all your data should you want to.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

Regardless of which way you jump, continuing to get your data out of Apple is a good thing. Once it's in Google it's available whichever platform you use and the Google platform is confident enough in it's offering to allow you to easily export all your data should you want to.

It's as easy/hard to get "your data" from the Apple cloud as it is from anywhere else's clouds. You don't need an apple platform or OS to get it. It's no better or worse than drop-box or Google in that respect, is it?

The harder side of things, I guess, is if you use,say, the safari feature for password generation and saving - if you've let  that make loads of complex passwords, and the clouds remember them for you, then resetting them all will be a pain.

I've done the same as Rob, looked at moving to another make of phone and tbh it seems pretty simple. Though while the one I've got is still working, the best option for me is to stick with it and save the money.

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's as easy/hard to get "your data" from the Apple cloud as it is from anywhere else's clouds. You don't need an apple platform or OS to get it. It's no better or worse than drop-box or Google in that respect, is it?

The harder side of things, I guess, is if you use,say, the safari feature for password generation and saving - if you've let  that make loads of complex passwords, and the clouds remember them for you, then resetting them all will be a pain.

You've changed my use of "Apple" to "Apple cloud". Stuff stored in itunes for example is difficult to extract (I'm assured from the old Apple thread). Does Apple have an equivalent of Takeout?

Chrome works on all platforms and can manage passwords. It also allows you to access tabs on all your devices from any other device.

In my experience getting my music from iTunes was a bit of a ball ache, I had to convert everything from the itunes format to another format to move it. The conversion was simple enough but it took ages and seemed pointless.

My music sits with Google now, as do my photos. And I still use Chrome so a lot of my browsing data like passwords and card details and such, is kept on there.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

You've changed my use of "Apple" to "Apple cloud". Stuff stored in itunes for example is difficult to extract (I'm assured from the old Apple thread). Does Apple have an equivalent of Takeout?

Chrome works on all platforms and can manage passwords. It also allows you to access tabs on all your devices from any other device.

Yes, I did. If the stuff's not in the clouds, but on the computer, then neither Apple nor Google "has" the data, does it? so you don't need to "take it off" apple. Obviously you can put it in a cloud if you want, but you don't have to.

I think Safari might be the same, Google Chrome is rubbish on apple products - proper resource hog and planter of unwanted crap.

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

getting my music from iTunes was a bit of a ball ache, I had to convert everything from the itunes format to another format to move it.

That's wierd. I thought Androids can play aac files - the internet says they (most) can. If they can't I won't bother swiitching, as like you, I wouldn't like the hassle of converting 

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's wierd. I thought Androids can play aac files - the internet says they (most) can. If they can't I won't bother swiitching, as like you, I wouldn't like the hassle of converting 

I'd have to double check, but I'm sure at the time (this would be 5 years ago) I had to convert everything to mp3 to get out of iTunes.

May have changed since then.

6 hours ago, blandy said:

Yes, I did. If the stuff's not in the clouds, but on the computer, then neither Apple nor Google "has" the data, does it? so you don't need to "take it off" apple. Obviously you can put it in a cloud if you want, but you don't have to.

I think Safari might be the same, Google Chrome is rubbish on apple products - proper resource hog and planter of unwanted crap.

If you can only use Apple tools to access the data then Apple "has" the data.

We have hundreds of MacOS and iOS users at work all using Chrome every day. Users have as many issues with Safari as with Chrome. Were you logged into Chrome using your Google account? Not being logged in used to cause sluggish response (although this seems to have been fixed now).

6 hours ago, blandy said:

I think you can get apps which make it simpler now, but Apple used to use DRM on their AAC and some people still have those tracks in their itunes.

9 minutes ago, limpid said:

If you can only use Apple tools to access the data then Apple "has" the data.

We have hundreds of MacOS and iOS users at work all using Chrome every day. Users have as many issues with Safari as with Chrome. Were you logged into Chrome using your Google account? Not being logged in used to cause sluggish response (although this seems to have been fixed now).

I think you can get apps which make it simpler now, but Apple used to use DRM on their AAC and some people still have those tracks in their itunes.

Music files (.m4a aac files) can be played by loads and loads of non-apple tools/apps, not just iTunes (link goes to a big table for windows). There's a big list for linux too - basically all the linux music players like Brasero and songbird and etc.), so m4a files on your computer are not Apple's that need "getting out".

The old m4p files that the music co.s used to insist were sold on iTunes stopped being sold in 2009. For them you'd have to convert, using tricks I won't go into. I had a few, which I converted - DRM anywhere makes problems with what will or won't play them.

Chrome - I try not to use it, but I suppose the pluses it might have are less of a thing for me who mostly doesn't use the google ecosystem. I imagine I was logged in most of the time, Simon, but couldn't say I always was. I'm happy enough with Safari and Firefox as a back up on my laptop.

The iPhone thing and Rob's dilemma. From time to time I've become hacked off with some feature or other that doesn't work as smoothly as I'd like - usually iTunes - phone music app related and swear to go to Android and try that. The price of newer Apple phones (and high end Samsung ones which are even more expensive) turns me right off them. But then again, my preference is for iOS because perhaps I'm more used to it than the Google Android OS, so it's kind of a judgement between nan OS I prefer v cheaper hardware. Like I said before, I'll keep going with the current phone for as long as possible.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dick said:

Same one I had issues with.

Ditto, 12 months of hell with that piece of crap.

• Like 2

Yep, awful phone. Was chuffed to get rid of that one. The Nexus 5 after that was a joy.

It's weird that 5 years later, even though I've had a go on the latest Samsung (the OH's sister has one) and it's lovely, I couldn't bring myself to buy one. Funny the things that put you off for good.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's weird that 5 years later, even though I've had a go on the latest Samsung (the OH's sister has one) and it's lovely, I couldn't bring myself to buy one. Funny the things that put you off for good.

And all that basically because Samsung (and other android vendors) decided that google couldn't make a good enough interface, so they decided to brick it with that god awful TouchWiz. I put a Nexus-like ROM on my S3 and it worked like a dream. Morons!

On 03/10/2017 at 09:04, Tegis said:

And all that basically because Samsung (and other android vendors) decided that google couldn't make a good enough interface, so they decided to brick it with that god awful TouchWiz. I put a Nexus-like ROM on my S3 and it worked like a dream. Morons!

I put Cyanogen Mod on my S2 (I think it was an S2) and the same for me - it made the phone usable.

I don't really get why people often only consider Samsung as the alternative to Apple. There are much better phones out there for software, hardware, and price.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, limpid said:

I put Cyanogen Mod on my S2 (I think it was an S2) and the same for me - it made the phone usable.

I don't really get why people often only consider Samsung as the alternative to Apple. There are much better phones out there for software, hardware, and price.

This has baffled me for years.

I would think it's merely that Samsung is seen as the high end android phone. I can't think of any that are more expensive or perceived as more "premium" than Samsung.

Now I know as well as anyone that doesn't mean they're the best alternative, but that's probably why they're seen as the alternative. The perception is that Samsung phones are the "best" Android phones. I'm sure they aren't, but perception means an awful lot.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

perception means an awful lot

Certainly does, and brand recognition. Judging by NFL commercials, Samsung are the only phones that rivals Apple there. (For some reason Motorola is somewhat big as well but I thing that's a old Verizon CMDA thing )

Â