PieFacE

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've said it before, but outside of the actual football gameplay, PES feels like a game designed by people who have never watched football in their lives.

Correction. They all watched one match in full and have since strived for the last 18 years to replicate every nuance of how those exact two teams played in that exact stadium. 

I know that football is popular in Japan, but I just don't think Konami have what it takes to make a good football game in such a high-fidelity era. They were good at faking it back in the PS2 days, but as we get closer to mimicking the real thing their flaws stand out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Correction. They all watched one match in full and have since strived for the last 18 years to replicate every nuance of how those exact two teams played in that exact stadium. 

I know that football is popular in Japan, but I just don't think Konami have what it takes to make a good football game in such a high-fidelity era. They were good at faking it back in the PS2 days, but as we get closer to mimicking the real thing their flaws stand out. 

I was talking about the menus and the music and how the season mode works and transfers all that. None of it makes any sense. 

Even down to what stuff is called. Isn’t the league table under “database” in master league? It’s like they were guessing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I was talking about the menus and the music and how the season mode works and transfers all that. None of it makes any sense. 

Even down to what stuff is called. Isn’t the league table under “database” in master league? It’s like they were guessing. 

Ah I get exactly what you mean. Nothing about the PES presentation makes any sense and it just makes the game harder to get into for a newcomer to the series as nothing works how it should. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The best bit are the budgets, separate ones for salaries and transfers, salary budgets don't go up much and you can't trade it off against your enormous transfer budget, so you have to sell the players you spent a few seasons developing and sign teenage versions of Iniesta etc.

• 2 weeks later...

It's EA so i'm sure some people will still find something to moan about but...

EA have announced that it will add a free FIFA World Cup 2018 update to FIFA 18 next month.

It will feature all 32 qualified national squads, official match balls, stadiums, and the iconic World Cup itself. The update will also include the complete authentic tournament experience using the Frostbite Engine.

New World Cup modes and refreshed versions of existing modes will also be included along with custom tournaments in which you can rewrite history using non-qualified teams, There will also be new World Cup icons for FUT 18.

The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia free update will be available for FIFA 18 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC from 29th May.

Considering that they have released many previous world cup games as standalone games this is rather nice. guessing that they have actually had to put some work into it too as quite a few of the qualified teams are not already in the game, let alone the stadiums etc

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

EA have announced that it will add a free FIFA World Cup 2018 update to FIFA 18 next month.

It will feature all 32 qualified national squads, official match balls, stadiums, and the iconic World Cup itself. The update will also include the complete authentic tournament experience using the Frostbite Engine.

New World Cup modes and refreshed versions of existing modes will also be included along with custom tournaments in which you can rewrite history using non-qualified teams, There will also be new World Cup icons for FUT 18.

The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia free update will be available for FIFA 18 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC from 29th May.

Considering that they have released many previous world cup games as standalone games this is rather nice. guessing that they have actually had to put some work into it too as quite a few of the qualified teams are not already in the game, let alone the stadiums etc

Agreed, have to give them credit for that

loved playing online world cup mode on the 2010 version. all about picking a minnow, going ultra defensive and stealing a 1 - 0 win against the likes of spain and brazil. the rage was amazing  

On 30/04/2018 at 16:21, LakotaDakota said:

It's nice, but it's no different to what they did in 2014. 

Which isn't a criticism, the World Cup add-on in 2014 was great.

54 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It's nice, but it's no different to what they did in 2014. 

Which isn't a criticism, the World Cup add-on in 2014 was great.

It is a bit different. Brazil 2014 was released as a standalone game for xbox 360 & ps3 but the xbox one/ps4 never got a proper update, just a few world cup bits for FUT, one stadium, one ball and it didn't actually have the option to play the proper world cup tournament, just a world cup kick off mode that added the qualified teams not already in the game

• 2 weeks later...

Well due to sheer boredom I've crossed the divide from PES and I'm shocked at how much better FIFA is. OK, the gameplay isn't, FIFA has a lot to learn from PES' gameplay IMO, PES is just so much smoother, everything from passing, shooting, dribbling and defending (is there any real point in defending in FIFA?) is better, but the gameplay on FIFA is still good enough mind (that said, I've never seen anything as bad as penalties on this game, corners kind of shit as well).  

But as an overall package this is on another planet. I love the transfer system on this and the training aspect too (on career mode). It combines elements from Football Manager so well, making this is a really addictive game.

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah PES is absolute garbage other than gameplay. 

Yeah, it belongs on an arcade machine rather than a console. The dev team must spend virtually all it's time on the gameplay and then like a couple of weeks on everything else.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yeah, it belongs on an arcade machine rather than a console. The dev team must spend virtually all it's time on the gameplay and then like a couple of weeks on everything else.

FIFA feels the other way round. Every year it feels like they just slightly tweak the gameplay a little to make crossing OP, or through balls OP, or ping-pong passing OP, but then go on to do quite a lot of work on the features of the game and career modes etc. 

Shame there's no way to have the FIFA game with the PES gameplay. 

• Like 1

The world cup mode is actually quite fun. Pack weights are decent. I already have Messi, and 2 icons. You can either throw all your coins into it, or grind matches and get rewarded with packs. I much prefer that style of gameplay. I had about 100k saved for the WC mode, and used it all. Made a solid, but nothing crazy team, and I am enjoying just playing. 

I also like how I am not coming up against god squads constantly. The world cup mode is making people choose chemistry, or good players. For instance, I have to use Mascherano as my CM to link with Messi even though I have a much better DM in Busquets. It seems more balanced at least at the moment. 

• Like 1

I've been playing FUT a lot the past week. Really got into it. A lot better than Maddens. Trying to complete squad building scenarios and stuff whilst doing some squad battles.

• 1 month later...

One of the advantages of the crisis that Villa are in will be playing FIFA.  I have traditionally taken Oxford United from obscurity to European Champions with minimum budget to get a good level of challenge. In a year or two I'll be able to do this with Villa.

• Like 1

Â