Pre-match thread

Nigel

Really want a win. Another early goal would be nice. However we know they are not to be underestimated so while the prospect of leaving with a point wouldn't be the end of the world it wouldn't help our promotion aspirations much. Lose and I think it's hard to make a case for Bruce doing any better than last year. A real marker of where we are tonight. Can we keep winning playing 3 games in 8 days?

14 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Really want a win. Another early goal would be nice. However we know they are not to be underestimated so while the prospect of leaving with a point wouldn't be the end of the world it wouldn't help our promotion aspirations much. Lose and I think it's hard to make a case for Bruce doing any better than last year. A real marker of where we are tonight. Can we keep winning playing 3 games in 8 days?

We have to if we want to be promoted. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Whelan has been poor the last couple of games, and Onomah was terrible when he came on on Saturday. Perhaps start Doyle-Hayes?

I've been really impressed with Onomah so far but you're right, he had a horror spell coming on against Forest.  I think that was perhaps a young man, desparate for game time, coming on and almost trying too hard.  I'm willing to give him another go and hopefully, the fact that he's got a full game to impose himself will produce a more relaxed, composed performace.

Havent seen JDH live yet so can't really give my opinion, perhaps minutes from the bench?  Edit: Just seen someone say he started last night so obviously he won't feature this week.

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, clip on mullet said:

Good team but i don't think it's a good idea to change the formation. We've had success with 442 and changing that now would be a mistake imo. I've always preferred a 433 formation as you get that extra man in midfield.

We have had success with 4-4-2 but we have been unconvincing and conceded a lot of possession. I think we have been lucky rather than being good. We look light in the middle with a 4-4-2 and I don't think it will be long before we get another good hiding like we did at Cardiff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BOF said:

In fairness I've not seen anyone say this will be easy.  Which is great credit to Burton and Nigel Clough.  I've stupidly optimistically added us to tonight's accumulator.

Not saying it WILL be easy, but we should be winning games like this if we are serious about promotion.

Only Bolton and Hull have conceded more goals in the league, and they sit in 19th position only 2 points above the relegation zone.

We'll probably nick it near the end with a Kodjia special. 

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Their form hasn't been great... although I'm not sure who their last five games were against and I'm too lazy to look.

All their results, working backwards from their most recent result -

QPR (A) 0-0 

Fulham (H) 2-1 win

Norwich (A) 0-0

Leeds (A) 5-0 defeat

Sheffield Wednesday (H) 1-1

Birmingham (H) 2-1 win

Middlesbrough (A) 2-0 defeat

Hull (A) 4-1 defeat 

Cardiff (H) 0-1 defeat

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

All their results, working backwards from their most recent result -

QPR (A) 0-0 

Fulham (H) 2-1 win

Norwich (A) 0-0

Leeds (A) 5-0 defeat

Sheffield Wednesday (H) 1-1

Birmingham (H) 2-1 win

Middlesbrough (A) 2-0 defeat

Hull (A) 4-1 defeat 

Cardiff (H) 0-1 defeat

Cheers bud, excellent work. So they beat Scum who are crap, but they also beat Fulham who are half decent... the rest of the results are pretty poor. I think we'll win, but it won't be easy to break them down, I think 1-0 with a Snodgrass goal

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Unchanged, which will make the selection on Saturday interesting.

Substitutions today might give us a hint (if we're doing ok). 

Hopefully Jedinak will be fit for Saturday - don't think Whelan has both games in him. 

13 minutes ago, Fab said:

Substitutions today might give us a hint (if we're doing ok). 

Hopefully Jedinak will be fit for Saturday - don't think Whelan has both games in him. 

I prefer Lansbury to whelan. Whelan has been one of the most disappointing signings in the summer. 

• Like 1

Can just hear Bruce readying his excuses if things don't go our way tonight

" oh the boys are tired, we have an honest bunch of ladswho have given their all, I would of liked to have made changes, but as i didn't spend lots of money on building a squad these last two windows I don't have the squad to rotate",

or something along those lines.

UTV ! 

Ps: Glad he has stumbled across a preferred starting 11. Just swop Bree for Hutton.