• Davis
    • Kodjia
    • Onomah (Davis 72)
    • Hogan (Kodjia 79)
    • Hutton (Snodgrass 88)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 26/09/17 at 18:45

2 hours ago, Paul33 said:

That bit is wrong and that is why there is negativity. Thanks.

I thought we were decent ,not our best performance but certainly no where near our worst plenty of room for improvement but we were better side yesterday and deserved the win .

• Haha 1

If I'm being honest I thought we were poor and probably deserved to lose or at least draw but we got the 3 points. Not convinced of going on a strong run at all with Bruce in charge, we should not be having 30% of the ball every game with the squad we have, we should be annihilating teams with the team we have. We look like a bottom half team desperately trying to scrape results.

Outplayed again at home, Forest 64% possession and more shots on and off target.  The only score that mattered though is the goals and most will be satisfied that we won.

For me, it just reinforced how much better we would be with better coaching and structure.  We would win this league easily with these players and a decent Manager.  Instead we rely on individual moments of brilliance to win games.

Forest kept and moved the ball better, had better shape, movement and awareness and were the far better side in the second half.  Our sitting midfielders are in our back line allowing the opposition to pick up the second balls outside our D.  We are expecting our forwards to drop in and pick up those balls meaning they are turning and running from too deep.

There are so many individual elements wrong and we will get turned over by decent teams.  Bruce still needs to go with his inept coaching team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I don't think the performance was that bad personally, we lost possession too easily, and didn't battle hard enough in midfield, and being critical we weren't fluid enough with passing. Forest held the ball well, but as soon as they moved forward we nullified the threat. Their goal was a fairly fortunate rebound through ball off Whelan's shin, if that had been the other way around people would've been bashing us for 'fluking a goal'. 

I thought defensively we were good, although the old panic set in a couple of times I wasn't really too concerned as it didn't seem like they troubled us too much. Sam Johnstone should have special mention as that save from the free kick was fantastic.

Not trying to pick an argument at all, as I totally respect other people feel differently, but that's my opinion on the game.

I largely agree. Despite the way we seemed to get sucked into the usual sitting back for too long a portion of the game, and despite our being a long way from excellent, I thought it was mostly okay. I certainly think there's a case to be made that we deserved to win.

• Like 1

Living in Canada and watching the game on a crappy internet connection with rose tinted spectacles. This what I saw:

• Villa were not bad and they were definitely the better of the two.
  • Villa did not have enough possession. It is difficult to score when you don't have the ball. For large periods of the game Forest were camped in their own half, defending. If I were a Forest fan I would be very disappointed in that the team did not do better, especially against a team that [apparently] has a manager with a poor strategy and is crap at times.
  • Villa scored two nice goals.
  • Murphy's goal was a bit lucky ... he had the ball stripped off him and it bounced off a defender's foot back into his path. Kudos to him for putting the ball in the back of the net.
  • Generally the defence did OK a few scary moments, which I did not like.
  • I was impressed with offence they had Forest pinned in their own half much of the time and hence the 64% [BBC] possession Forest enjoyed.

OK this is not Champions' league stuff but it was not bad. To me it seemed better than watching the Vancouver Whitecaps versus Colorado later in the evening on the box.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, macandally said:

Outplayed again at home, Forest 64% possession and more shots on and off target.  The only score that mattered though is the goals and most will be satisfied that we won.

For me, it just reinforced how much better we would be with better coaching and structure.  We would win this league easily with these players and a decent Manager.  Instead we rely on individual moments of brilliance to win games.

Forest kept and moved the ball better, had better shape, movement and awareness and were the far better side in the second half.  Our sitting midfielders are in our back line allowing the opposition to pick up the second balls outside our D.  We are expecting our forwards to drop in and pick up those balls meaning they are turning and running from too deep.

There are so many individual elements wrong and we will get turned over by decent teams.  Bruce still needs to go with his inept coaching team.

Pretty much agree with all of that, and the highlighted bit especially worries me. If you take out Kodjia's contribution to both goals we would have been nowhere, who knows how we will cope if (when) he gets injured again.

On the other hand.... I am fairly sure there is more to come from us. Davis is improving all the time. Kodjia will get better and better as he recovers, Snodgrass has a lot more to offer which will come as he gets fitter and used to his team-mates.  Onomah had a howler but he's already shown he has a lot of class.  Then we've got Grealish to come back in; and Jedi who must manage at least some games.  

Question is, can we bungle our way through like we did yesterday until it all comes together?

That is pretty much the team that fans have been calling for from day one. I don't think injuries are a reason to have played 1 up front or three at the back at any stage. Even with Hogan, McCormack or Gabby we could have played two up front. There was no excuse to ever play Bacuna. Or play Samba as a striker. Or use Bjarnason in all of the fifty positions he's played in. Or not to use our most creative player from last season in Adomah. Or not to use clearly our best midfielder in Hourihane.

So if we wanted this team from the start of the season we could argue that this is only the second game of the season...so scrapping narrow wins whilst we're still trying to gel is perfectly acceptable. Stick with this team and we will get better, sharper and more effective. He may not have seen it, he may not have wanted it, but Bruce has finally stumbled upon a very strong starting XI and formation. Think there's an argument for Lansbury over Whelen and maybe a bit of rotation up front and out wide but this is pretty much what everyone has wanted so the season starts now.

For me, it's six points from a possible six with the 'right' team. Performances will follow as long as Bruce doesn't f*ck it up.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2017 at 12:32, macandally said:

It's the VIlla way, I wouldn't worry about it. If we win the possesion battle we usually end up losing, or drawing.

Â