Mark Sampson Sacked

foreveryoung

Just now, Xela said:

You don't think worse gets said every day in a male dressing room?

Not saying its right... just that I think it happens

maybe 20 years ago. Cant imagine with todays multicultural squads and "emotional" footballers that it would be tolerated these days

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He insinuated her family had ebola because they were African. 

Whether meant as a joke or not, I don't see how that can not be classed as racist. HE isn't a racist, I think that much is clear. But what he said WAS racist.

Anyway, the independent barrister has concluded that Samson "did treat Aluko less favourably than he would have treated a player who was not of African descent"

The full report is incredibly damning of a lot of parties, including the original investigations.

I think it was more very offensive than racist. Not exactly insulting a race more like a stupid and unfunny joke that deserves the sack. 

If he said your family have bird flu because your Asian would that be racist? I think it's abit ott, he deserved the sack which he rightly received that's the end of it for me. 

I think if you say something racist then you are a racist. 

Institutional racism is still a massive problem in the UK and across the world to an extent. Having worked with the FA and the PFA you can see how it is an old boys club and how some of the characters involved in it will always mean that an element of prejudice will be prevalent. 

20 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Institutional racism is still a massive problem in the UK and across the world to an extent. Having worked with the FA and the PFA you can see how it is an old boys club and how some of the characters involved in it will always mean that an element of prejudice will be prevalent. 

I think there is a really fine line between a racist comment (which is insensitive and ignorant) and being actually racist.  But I doubt Mark Sampson "Is a racist", because I don't think he dislikes people of colour/race as a whole.  

I think what he's done, is he's picked up on the fact Aluko and her family are from a part of the world with this problem and made a very insensitive comment to her (maybe in jest?), using that knowledge.  Does Mark Sampson actually think what he said is true?  I highly doubt it.  Should it be said?  Nope, not at all.  Should it be worthy of sacking?  Yes, because he especially is setting an example as the manager/coach and he must be held accountable for his actions.  

I think outside of work, said between friends, what he said (I think he said something about catching ebola (I don't actually know word for word)) that it would fine.  I certainly wouldn't say it in front of anyone else. 

Comedians like Gervais have lampooned this problem (The Office episode where Gervais tells a joke about a black mans knob, but when he realises there's a black guy there, he stops before he gets to the punchline, because he knows it could be deemed as racist and that he'd get into trouble).

Bob Mortimer on a podcast tells pretend stories about Africa, and in one instance mimics a Chinese person and says "You've got to rucking ruv them" (you've got to **** love them) - which gets a laugh - despsite that comedy being quite old fashioned.  The fact is, there are loads of examples. 

Telling fat jokes, ginger jokes, some jewish jokes etc - it's picking up on differences (which some should be celebrated by the way!) and making derogatory comments.  It's all the same really - apart from racism has a very bad history, obviously - which is where the hurt comes from. 

So I don't think Mark Sampson is racist.  I don't think he hates people of colour, or race.  I don't think he thinks of himself as better as people from that race or anything - but he really shouldn't be saying things like he said in front of people, let alone people at work. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I think there is a really fine line between a racist comment (which is insensitive and ignorant) and being actually racist.  But I doubt Mark Sampson "Is a racist", because I don't think he dislikes people of colour/race as a whole.  

I think what he's done, is he's picked up on the fact Aluko and her family are from a part of the world with this problem and made a very insensitive comment to her (maybe in jest?), using that knowledge.  Does Mark Sampson actually think what he said is true?  I highly doubt it.  Should it be said?  Nope, not at all.  Should it be worthy of sacking?  Yes, because he especially is setting an example as the manager/coach and he must be held accountable for his actions.  

I think outside of work, said between friends, what he said (I think he said something about catching ebola (I don't actually know word for word)) that it would fine.  I certainly wouldn't say it in front of anyone else. 

Comedians like Gervais have lampooned this problem (The Office episode where Gervais tells a joke about a black mans knob, but when he realises there's a black guy there, he stops before he gets to the punchline, because he knows it could be deemed as racist and that he'd get into trouble).

Bob Mortimer on a podcast tells pretend stories about Africa, and in one instance mimics a Chinese person and says "You've got to rucking ruv them" (you've got to **** love them) - which gets a laugh - despsite that comedy being quite old fashioned.  The fact is, there are loads of examples. 

Telling fat jokes, ginger jokes, some jewish jokes etc - it's picking up on differences (which some should be celebrated by the way!) and making derogatory comments.  It's all the same really - apart from racism has a very bad history, obviously - which is where the hurt comes from. 

So I don't think Mark Sampson is racist.  I don't think he hates people of colour, or race.  I don't think he thinks of himself as better as people from that race or anything - but he really shouldn't be saying things like he said in front of people, let alone people at work. 

Whilst I agree with your overall point I do think Sampson is racist. He has, more than once, used negative racial stereotypes in a way that he must've known would never have been taken as a joke. He is an educated man who knows what he is doing. He sees black people in a certain way and he has demonstrated that by what he has said. He is definitely racist for me. 

• Like 1

Just now, omariqy said:

Whilst I agree with your overall point I do think Sampson is racist. He has, more than once, used negative racial stereotypes in a way that he must've known would never have been taken as a joke. He is an educated man who knows what he is doing. He sees black people in a certain way and he has demonstrated that by what he has said. He is definitely racist for me. 

That's cool Omar, I won't pretend to know his background - I honestly thought this was a one off, hence the longevity of the case.  If he has previous, then I'd agree with you! :thumb: 

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I completely disagree.

Doesn't make it acceptable. But it also doesn't always mean you're a racist.

• Like 2

On 18/10/2017 at 16:49, snowychap said:
On 18/10/2017 at 16:20, Milfner said:

But I thought he was 'hounded out'?!?! :rolleyes:

Martin Glenn's head surely the next to roll. Slimy prick.

I'm watching him give evidence to the select committee at the moment.

He is an utter turd. Some astonishing responses.

On the subject of Glenn, one of the things he said in evidence to the select committtee was about the decision to appoint Katharine Newton where he was asked about his reported comment to the Grauniad (there's more in that story about a bizarre timeline involving letters from the FA's lawyers denying the claim in advance of Glenn making the comment)

“Quite deliberately, I said, ‘I want an independent look at this and, to be blunt about it, I want it to be an employment expert, I want it to be female and I’d like it to be of a different ethnicity to us’.”

This is the comment from Daniel Taylor:

4) Martin Glenn, the chief executive, wanted everyone to know the FA’s media department had been in touch with the Guardian to point out he had got it wrong – “not a pack of lies, but it was an embellishment” – during our 21 September interview for the Observer’s sister paper when he explained, at quite some length, how he had deliberately appointed Katharine Newton, a black woman, to oversee the independent inquiry because of her sex and ethnicity. Glenn blamed this rather peculiar mistake on being tired at the end of a long day and maybe he was feeling jaded again when he said that about his press office. No conversation of that nature ever took place.

Obviously, the Grauniad/Observer journalist could well be lying here but...

Â