Crypto currency

PieFacE

So is anyone else getting involved in the crypto scene?

I know there's a bitcoin thread, but i thought I'd start with thread for all the altcoins. It appears we're back into a bull market after the recent dip and who knows where it's going to go to now. 

Any coins anyone is liking?

If this bull market coincides with a stock market dip then a lot of money could be about to come in. 

• 3 weeks later...

Be very careful, lots of regulations on the horizon and from what I've read many of these ICO based "opportunities" are ponzi/scams, and I wouldn't keep any significant amount of money in any of these until at least after Chinese congress finishes. Bitcoin may be the exception now, but purely due to it's size.

Bitcoin just smashed the $5000 barrier and is now at $5100! 

Crazy stuff.

On 09/10/2017 at 18:21, villakram said:

Be very careful, lots of regulations on the horizon and from what I've read many of these ICO based "opportunities" are ponzi/scams, and I wouldn't keep any significant amount of money in any of these until at least after Chinese congress finishes. Bitcoin may be the exception now, but purely due to it's size.

Not sure about this really, regulation will be a good thing for the whole scene. It will prevent it becoming a huge bubble which is great for everyone involved. If crypto ever wants to be taken seriously by the masses it needs regulation.

Personally I love it. There's some amazing tech coming through which is using blockchain, I think a lot of people think that that whole crypto currency scene is purely financial but it's really not. It's the next big technological leap. 

On 09/10/2017 at 15:08, omariqy said:

I would love to get involved with my play money but I have no idea where to start. I'll stick to my day job which is the stock market.

Just spend some time reading about it. You'll make a hell of a lot more money in crypto than you will in the stock market.  If crypto was a human it hasn't even begun to walk yet imo. There's a long way to go, lots of money  still to come in (Still only a market cap of 150billion, it's nothing) and lots of money to be made. 

Edited by PieFacE

On 10/10/2017 at 12:06, AVFCDAN said:

I was aware of Bitcoin about 5-6 years ago, oh how i wish i had gotten involved when it was in the 10's and 100's rather than 1000's.

In 5 years you could be saying "I knew of bitcoin when it was 1000's not 10000's, wish I got involved then! ;)

27 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Sounds like a pyramid scheme to me ;)

Most certainly isn't that, but its very volatile. As with all currencies, it's all about whether you trust it or not.

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Crazy stuff.

Not sure about this really, regulation will be a good thing for the whole scene. It will prevent it becoming a huge bubble which is great for everyone involved. If crypto ever wants to be taken seriously by the masses it needs regulation.

Personally I love it. There's some amazing tech coming through which is using blockchain, I think a lot of people think that that whole crypto currency scene is purely financial but it's really not. It's the next big technological leap. 

Just spend some time reading about it. You'll make a hell of a lot more money in crypto than you will in the stock market.  If crypto was a human it hasn't even begun to walk yet imo. There's a long way to go, lots of money  still to come in (Still only a market cap of 150billion, it's nothing) and lots of money to be made. 

Any books/resources you recommend reading?

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I recommend listening to Andreas Antonopoulos. He has a few visits to Joe Rogans podcast where it's more of a pleasant chat with them. I think the links are in the other thread

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Crazy stuff.

I was thinking more in terms of Bitcoin becoming illegal, as an anonymous medium of exchange is a very easy target given the current world we live in. There is also practicality, in that the Chinese have been imposing currency movement restrictions (e.g., our lack of spending this summer). Bitcoin is being used to skirt around these regulations. This is currently being tolerated. 

On the other side, here in the US, all of the big banks, and private funds are getting involved in the blockchain game, and it's not clear how this will effect Bitcoin right now. As you outline above, some regulation would be a good thing and Bitcoin is in a great position to become the de-facto standard. Though, the recent splits have damaged the credibility of Bitcoin as currently organized and managed. Specifically regarding Bitcoin, I've also read that an awful lot of coins are in the hands of a small number of initial "investors". Massive shorting or otherwise opportunity there.

Medium of exchange = yes. Store of value = not clear, but you'd better be actively managing this part of your portfolio.

31 minutes ago, villakram said:

I was thinking more in terms of Bitcoin becoming illegal, as an anonymous medium of exchange is a very easy target given the current world we live in. There is also practicality, in that the Chinese have been imposing currency movement restrictions (e.g., our lack of spending this summer). Bitcoin is being used to skirt around these regulations. This is currently being tolerated. 

On the other side, here in the US, all of the big banks, and private funds are getting involved in the blockchain game, and it's not clear how this will effect Bitcoin right now. As you outline above, some regulation would be a good thing and Bitcoin is in a great position to become the de-facto standard. Though, the recent splits have damaged the credibility of Bitcoin as currently organized and managed. Specifically regarding Bitcoin, I've also read that an awful lot of coins are in the hands of a small number of initial "investors". Massive shorting or otherwise opportunity there.

Medium of exchange = yes. Store of value = not clear, but you'd better be actively managing this part of your portfolio.

Yeah all good point. I think it's too late to make Bitcoin illegal,  that moment has gone imo. 

I'm more interested in the whole crypto scene for tech innovations, my favourite coin is Ark, spotted it at 0.13p and I think the team behind it are really good, the community is amazing and actively developing for it as it's open-source, the actual product is well needed in the crypto space (interoperability between blockchains) and I genuinely think it has a bright future. I kinda made a substantial investment (substantial for me) when it was 0.13p and now it's £2.06, and it's just getting started. I'm hoping for £25 in the next 2 years. But who knows, when regulation kicks in it could go anywhere.... but i'm cautiously-optimistic.

I actually do not hold any Bitcoin, but I find it absolutely fascinating and have no idea where it's going to go. It's fun to watch it though :)

45 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I just used google really. Read about why people are investing in Bitcoin, what gives it value, then what is a blockchain, why is a blockchain so highly regarded, and then from that you find about all different coins doing all sorts of different tech using blockchain as it's core. 

I think you probably need to have a bit of a techy side to you to find the whole thing interesting.

Edited by PieFacE

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

As if the guy who claims he can't write an email knows the first thing about cryptocurrency :crylaugh:

He's a 'wheeler dealer'! 

Â