• Davis
    • Kodjia
    • Onomah (Kodjia 61)
    • Hogan (Davis 75)
    • Bjarnason (Snodgrass 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/17 at 18:45

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

That's the kind of short sighted view that so many seem to have. We are a terribly run club with an absolutely ridiculous wage bill, who seem to overpay for every player we buy. That doesn't mean we should walk this league it just means we don't do business very well.

I think we are at best a top 8 side and even that gives us 5 places more than where  we currently stand. 

Today was a great result given how average a side we really are. I'm not interested in what we have spent as it's clear we have overpaid for almost every player we have signed under our current board.

i can pretty much guarantee you that any manager in this league would kill to have their pick of the players in our squad.

Kodija, one of the best strikers in the division last year despite missing a sizable chunk of it, and also one of the top strikers in the division the season before that.

Hourihane, the top ranked midfielder in the division when we signed him.

Lansbury the 3rd top ranked midfielder in the division when we signed him.

Terry, arguable the best defender in the division.

Chester one of the top 5 defenders in the division last season.

And i could go on...

1 minute ago, flashingqwerty said:

i can pretty much guarantee you that any manager in this league would kill to have their pick of the players in our squad.

Kodija, one of the best strikers in the division last year despite missing a sizable chunk of it, and also one of the top strikers in the division the season before that.

Hourihane, the top ranked midfielder in the division when we signed him.

Lansbury the 3rd top ranked midfielder in the division when we signed him.

Terry, arguable the best defender in the division.

Chester one of the top 5 defenders in the division last season.

And i could go on...

Hourihane and Lansbury are only just raising their performance levels.....reputations don't win matches.

Chester has had an iffy start.

its more about what they do, not who they are.

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Long live Tim , I say . 

Unbelievably, you actually do say that.

Even when faced with evidence that shows your opinion of how he would perform is basically impossible.

Nah, that's just "evidence" and "stats". Who needs that when you can have completely unfounded, ludicrous opinions? 

Just now, TRO said:

Hourihane and Lansbury are only just raising their performance levels.....reputations don't win matches.

Chester has had an iffy start.

its more about what they do, not who they are.

The point being TRO, these players were bossing the league before they came here and its down to how they are being utilized (example, hourihane as a holding midfielder...) which is what has hampered their ability to impact the teams performance.

How well these plaeyers were doing before they came here has little to do with their 'reputations' as you put it - facts is facts and they were playing well.  And it's SB's use of them that has stopped them from playing well - which is well documented and quite simple to prove.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

The point being TRO, these players were bossing the league before they came here and its down to how they are being utilized (example, hourihane as a holding midfielder...) which is what has hampered their ability to impact the teams performance.

How well these plaeyers were doing before they came here has little to do with their 'reputations' as you put it - facts is facts and they were playing well.  And it's SB's use of them that has stopped them from playing well - which is well documented and quite simple to prove.

How many instances could we all muster of players who have done well at some clubs and poor or average at others......rakes of them.

They are improving it takes time to settle for some.....had a decent game today.

e.g Ken McNaught.

We are drifting down the same road again.....lets see if we can build on it.

good win this evening, lets enjoy

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

How many instances could we all muster of players who have done well at some clubs and poor or average at others......rakes of them.

They are improving it takes time to settle for some.....had a decent game today.

e.g Ken McNaught.

not disagreeing about the result tonight, but the performance was a long way from convincing.

I don't think there can be much argument anymore that we should be doing much better than we are given the talent at our disposal.  I also think it is quite clear that the way we are set out does not suit the players at the club either.  

I also don't think it should take 40+ games for a manager as experienced as SB to realized that he isn't putting people in roles that best suit their skill set.

He could and should have done more to address poor performances by now, and hasn't.  Whether that is down to a lack of willingness to admit he is wrong, an inability to learn from his mistakes, or just blind stupidity is anyone's guess, but he is definitely still getting it wrong despite tonight's good result.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Unbelievably, you actually do say that.

Even when faced with evidence that shows your opinion of how he would perform is basically impossible.

Nah, that's just "evidence" and "stats". Who needs that when you can have completely unfounded, ludicrous opinions? 

Long live Tim , there you go , I said it again  . How unbelievable is that ?  

Barnsley had won their last two home games and were above us before this game so a 3-0 away win was a great result for us. It moves us clear of the bottom dwellers and has gone some way to compensate for the points that we have dropped at home this season. We had Davis, Adomah and Terry producing top class performances that would on another day have seen them run away with a MOTM award. That will do for me! :)  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Long live Tim , there you go , I said it again  . How unbelievable is that ?  

How unbelievable is it that you love the worst manager we've ever had?

Not very.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

e.g Ken McNaught.

TRO, how long do you think, on average, it takes players to "settle" into a new team?  I ask because it seems to me that taking weeks is reasonable.  The players mentioned in this thread have been here for  roughly 9 months.  And you still think the problem is that they need time to settle.  It seems  to me that the notion they are not being used to their strengths is a much more plausible explanation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Cant disagree enough with this...

With the money we have spent and the quality of the players we have at our disposal we should be walking this league.

Only for the poor decisions and poor coaching of the man in charge have we failed to impose ourselves thus far.

Today, as others have said, highlights the best and worst of our season.  The first half showing the limited though pattern of our manager in setting us up in such a negative way, couple with no small amount of good fortune for the 2 goals, followed by the second half where the shackles were somewhat loosened and we played some nice football showing way we could be capable of.

I would be more of the opinion that the 2 1st half goals had more to do with the improved performance than anything the manager may have said or done - but then i don't like the man so i am probably biased...

Is our squad really that good? Debatable.

Just got in from the game/lock up, Barnsleys fans are a **** disgrace and the local plod are worse. Cracking result otherwise, and our support was Tier 1 as usual.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair enough but my original post wasn't as negative as you are making out. My point was the opinions of Bruce based on those ratings are all about results and not performances. So it's almost pointless having that poll if win = good manager performance. Lose = poor manager performance.  We'll leave it at that. 

The less reactionary among us know exactly what you were saying.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Long live Tim , I say . 

Ahhh Tim, that wonderfully ebullient, pashun inspiring little scamp, with the problem solving skills of a toddler and the temperament to match. How we miss our former leader, so cruelly treated by fellow chancers even higher up. 

If only we had him again now, this team would fly because it really is THAT simple. Pashun + talent = Champions, innit. Timmy learnt us that from the Tottingham Academy of Science and what did we do with it? Well, he only went and gave us an FA Cup Semi, didn't he? Oh and don't forget our glorious escape act in the same year. Soo, so nourishing!

But forgive me, forget we must because glossing over unpleasant facts - including the decidedly ugly ones like those associated with his giving up and lying towards the end of his tenure - are not helpful if we prefer only to see the positives. So I say, come now brothers, let us bow at the knee and once again revise history. The Tim is dead, long live The Tim!

Edited by Lerner's Driver

Â