• Davis
    • Kodjia
    • Onomah (Kodjia 61)
    • Hogan (Davis 75)
    • Bjarnason (Snodgrass 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/09/17 at 18:45

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Stevo I get what you were you saying. I'm just suprised and thinks it bizarre you think my point and post was bizarre. 

Or maybe you add these one liners in to wind people up? 

For example: 'I was surprised that you were confused by that' 

Anyway we won so I'm happy about that.

No, I genuinely thought it was a bizarre post. Just my opinion.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

No, I genuinely thought it was a bizarre post. Just my opinion.

Fair enough. It got a few likes so I guess there's just some bizarre posters out there. 

Anyway I gave him an average rating as he had noimpact on the result other than to pick a team that was pretty much common sense against a very poor team that will probably go down. 

3 goals and 3 points on the road! The difference between walking out of Oakwell today and walking out of VP last week is indescribable! 

Davis was fantastic tonight. My MOTM. The ref gave him nothing, especially in the first half when their defenders were using him as a climbing frame. He kept battling, other young players (and older players actually) might have become disenfranchised with the game but he fully reaped his rewards with his first goal, in front of the Villa fans too. He and Kodjia look like a formidable partnership, so much for defenders to think about.

Speaking of Jimmy D... what a difference it was to have him back! We looked so much more confident knowing that he was on the pitch and his quality was obvious. The same goes for Albert, he has to play every league game. His class was the difference between the sides in the first half. He terrified their RB all game long.

Hourihane was great, stroked the ball around with ease and put in some fantastic crunching challenges too. Snodgrass looks like he still needs to get up to full fitness. Whelan did his job, think he and Jedinak should rotate in that position.

The defence was solid, marshalled well by Terry (his best Villa performance IMO) and Johnstone did everything he needed to do. 3 clean sheets on the bounce can't be sniffed at. 

Time to build on this next weekend. Rest a few on Tuesday and let's hit Forest hard next weekend now we know we can actually win on Sky! Fans were top as usual today. An enjoyable away day!

One last word for Hogan, was very impressed with him after he came on, must have been feeling some pressure after #goallinegate and he pressed well and could've scored too.

Johnstone 9

Elmo 8

Terry 9

Chester 8

Taylor 8

Hourihane 8

Snodgrass 7

Whelan 7

Adomah 9

Kodjia 9

Davis 9

Onomah 8

Hogan 8

Bjarnason 6

Edited by chappy

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anyway I gave him an average rating as he had noimpact on the result other than to pick a team that was pretty much common sense against a very poor team that will probably go down. 

An incredibly negative way of spinning it, imo.

I want Bruce out too, but dismissing good performances as luck and claiming the manager had "no impact" is negativity for negativity's sake.

VillaTalk is so black and white. It's ok to stray away from your cemented opinion once in a while. You can give the manager credit when he deserves it and still want him out. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

An incredibly negative way of spinning it, imo.

I want Bruce out too, but dismissing good performances as luck and claiming the manager had "no impact" is negativity for negativity's sake.

VillaTalk is so black and white. It's ok to stray away from your cemented opinion once in a while. You can give the manager credit when he deserves it and still want him out. 

When I see a decent performance against a decent team I will be the first to give him credit regardless of the result. 

I was totally unimpressed by the first half and couldn't believe we led 2-0! 

Its no cemented opinion. I backed Bruce for months and got a lot of flack for it. I backed him after games I thought he did all he could but we were unlucky to lose. 

I'm not going to jump back on the support Bruce bandwagon after one games. You by all mean ride it if you wish to it you honestly think this result was down to the manager. 

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

VillaTalk is so black and white. It's ok to stray away from your cemented opinion once in a while. You can give the manager credit when he deserves it and still want him out

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When I see a decent performance against a decent team I will be the first to give him credit regardless of the result. 

I was totally unimpressed by the first half and couldn't believe we led 2-0! 

Its no cemented opinion. I backed Bruce for months and got a lot of flack for it. I backed him after games I thought he did all he could but we were unlucky to lose. 

I'm not going to jump back on the support Bruce bandwagon after one games. You by all mean ride it if you wish to it you honestly think this result was down to the manager. 

Exhibit A.

I despair.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He had to have a dig didn't he? "Shut a few ppl up'"

geez steve enjoy the victory for god sake instead of having a go at the fans

I think he's earned the right tonight. Got the result regardless of how people would rate the performance. You'd do the same in his position.

I like that he's still got that bit of fight left. Our last few managers finished up with the white flag firmly raised. 

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I do respect it. 

I was just pointing out how you proved my point :) 

Fair enough but my original post wasn't as negative as you are making out. My point was the opinions of Bruce based on those ratings are all about results and not performances. So it's almost pointless having that poll if win = good manager performance. Lose = poor manager performance.  We'll leave it at that. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If people things all our problems are solved because we play 2 up front then prefer to be disappointed. But having a top playing like Kodija will massively improve any team in this league. 

Be not dismayed.  I remain cynical.  Bruce has much, much more damage of his own doing that needs to be repaired.   But starting 2 up front was FINALLY a good thing to see.  1 point to Bruce.  87 more points to go before his bumbling horribly so far can be overlooked.  

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Here's 1 way of looking at it.

Barnsley were as bad as Norwich were.

2 gifted goals during a part of the game where we should have been pressing for a result and dominating the game.

Our attack - which was responsible for putting the ball away - was made up of:

Kodjia - Bruces savior last year - who he didnt buy but tried to replace him by relying on Gaby for the Acons & injured time out.

Davis - a youth product that Bruce had no influence on development or scouting.

Adomah - our matchwinner - our best assister last season who he tried to replace with Elmo firstly, then Snodgrass secondly, who then gets a game out of position because our LW iGreen is injured, (note that we have Hutton, Bree, RDL, Elmo, Snodgrass & Adomah on the right side - but have only Taylor & Green on the left side - natural sided players may I add).

I will now point out the similarities to the Norwich win which was followed by the Bristol C team/setup.

So come saturday when Warburton out tactics Bruce, or Bruce changes it all again we will still have a manager in place who wont get us promoted

And all the Villa fans'' glasses were half empty.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If people things all our problems are solved because we play 2 up front then prefer to be disappointed. But having a top playing like Kodija will massively improve any team in this league. 

Be not dismayed.  I remain cynical.  Bruce has much, much more damage of his own doing that needs to be repaired.   But starting 2 up front was FINALLY a good thing to see.  1 point to Bruce.  87 more points to go before his bumbling horribly so far can be overlooked.  

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

we will still have a manager in place who wont get us promoted

Whilst that is true, it's still a good result and shows we have enough about us to finish in the top half. You have to give credit where it's due and we have got a ourselves a great away win today that will surely improve the confidence levels around the club.

We were never going to get promoted this season so a 3-0 away win has to be celebrated and, as such, today isn't a time to have a go at the manager.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Whilst that is true, it's still a good result and shows we have enough about us to finish in the top half. You have to give credit where it's due and we have got a ourselves a great away win today that will surely improve the confidence levels around the club.

We were never going to get promoted this season so a 3-0 away win has to be celebrated and, as such, today isn't a time to have a go at the manager.

Cant disagree enough with this...

With the money we have spent and the quality of the players we have at our disposal we should be walking this league.

Only for the poor decisions and poor coaching of the man in charge have we failed to impose ourselves thus far.

Today, as others have said, highlights the best and worst of our season.  The first half showing the limited though pattern of our manager in setting us up in such a negative way, couple with no small amount of good fortune for the 2 goals, followed by the second half where the shackles were somewhat loosened and we played some nice football showing way we could be capable of.

I would be more of the opinion that the 2 1st half goals had more to do with the improved performance than anything the manager may have said or done - but then i don't like the man so i am probably biased...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

With the money we have spent and the quality of the players we have at our disposal we should be walking this league.

That's the kind of short sighted view that so many seem to have. We are a terribly run club with an absolutely ridiculous wage bill, who seem to overpay for every player we buy. That doesn't mean we should walk this league it just means we don't do business very well.

I think we are at best a top 8 side and even that gives us 5 places more than where  we currently stand. 

Today was a great result given how average a side we really are. I'm not interested in what we have spent as it's clear we have overpaid for almost every player we have signed under our current board.

Â