Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Middlesbrough

limpid

Match Polls  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/09/17 at 16:30

Another evening wasted. The tactics were all wrong in the first half and we were unlucky in the second but you make your own luck and we just can't do that with Bruce in charge. Special shout out to Lansbury for the most unnecessary red card ever.

Yeah we may have been unlucky not to win it but for me the game would have been put to bed if we played two upfront instead of Davis on his own (who is still green as grass and if we are only playing one up front and Kodjia isn't fit it should be Hogan) 

If we had attacked in that first half when they were down to 10 men we would have won

These are stupid mistakes that a manager with Bruce's experience should not be making 

On a side note I thought Lansbury's sensing off was a bit harsh but we would 100% have conceded if he didn't make that tackle 

On a side side not the amount of timewasting I saw from Boro was disgusting. Their keeper should have been carded 5 times. 

Awful awful game of football. Glad I shelled out £400 on these words removed 

48 minutes ago, villianusa said:

How was the result met by the fans at the ground?

It was fine. There were a few boos at the end but these were it seems directed at a dire refereeing performance and plenty clapped the players off when they approached the Holte etc.

It is strange given some of the posts on here as you don't sense much anti Bruce feeling in VP either. In fact there were a number of occasions when his name was sang during claret and blue army.

• Like 1

Was actually impressed to see Bruce make attacking halftime subs, I was really not expecting that. Adomah caused all sorts of issues and I thought we'd go on to win. But then Lansbury got sent off for some inexplicable reason that only the referee's tiny mind can fathom and then Adomah got shifted to right back? Huh? And with it we lost part of our impetus, although it we still overall remained on top.

Referee was appalling and completely one-sided. That was never a red card for Lansbury, cannot begin to imagine how the ref can defend that decision.

Overall, one of the more attacking displays I have seen recently and we were genuinely unlucky not to win.

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Was actually impressed to see Bruce make attacking halftime subs, I was really not expecting that. Adomah caused all sorts of issues and I thought we'd go on to win. But then Lansbury got sent off for some inexplicable reason that only the referee's tiny mind can fathom and then Adomah got shifted to right back? Huh? And with it we lost part of our impetus, although it we still overall remained on top.

Referee was appalling and completely one-sided. That was never a red card for Lansbury, cannot begin to imagine how the ref can defend that decision.

Overall, one of the more attacking displays I have seen recently and we were genuinely unlucky not to win.

We had a penalty shout denied first half too

First half against 10 men was difficult viewing, no one committing at all.

Second half positive subs adomah in particular had real impact (why he isn't starting only Bruce knows) only to get shoved to right back after 20 mins.

Lansbury 10/10 for being a complete and utter moron.

Looked better second half but ultimately 0-0 with 60 mins against 10 men is a poor poor result, especially when for 45 mins of that we didn't even look interested in scoring.

I'm done with Bruce, that first half was the final nail in the coffin.

Bruce took far too long to make the changes. There was plenty of time to see that we weren't getting any joy even against 10 men before half-time. It was like he continued to play to keep a clean sheet and hope to scrape a goal. Which coincidentally is what Boro were doing when they went down to 10 men. We're not going to move up the table playing for draws.

• Like 1

He made a major blunder not hooking Jedinak and Bjarnason 20-25 minutes earlier than he did. It was clear that we were going to have all of the possession and they were just going to camp on the edge of their area, so we didn't need a DM or a defensively-minded winger who can't find a teammate with a pass. The minute Adomah came on we actually looked good, quelle **** surprise. 

I don't get all the Bruce hatred - end of the day, Snodgrass missing an open goal and Hogan clearing off their line is hardly the manager's fault - but if he'd been braver with the subs we would have had nearly another thirty minutes to break them down. 

Shout out to the ref, who was absolutely **** abysmal. 

• Like 1

In isolation you can say we should have won that game.  

The sending off won us a point in the end though.  Anytime Asombalonga ran at us we shit the bed.  Add Traore to that and they would have won that game.

Bruce now has 2 tactics after Saturdays shit show of hoofing it to Elmo today it was get it wide and cross it.  Now most of the time it never beat the first man but it was a step up from the weekend.   Trouble with the tactic was apart from the crap crossing, we have no aerial threat.  Benteke is not here anymore and the lad Davis had abit of a 50p head tonight.

Hogan can't head and Kodija is better on the deck and not fit.

There was a lot of huff and puff and not much else.

I still want him gone and I can't see us getting any better till he does.

Edited by S-Platt

Taken in isolation we actually played decent enough in this game, even when Middlesborough got back the numerical disadvantage there was only one team trying to win that game.

I though Snodgrass was the best player on the park in the first half, he was everywhere, and his little give and goes were great to watch. He will be great when he gets up to speed.

Lansburys sending off was stupid, the ref was diabolical all game, and you could see he was itching to even that card up.  He could have cost us those 2 points.

I think the only thing that can actually be aimed at Bruce from this game alone is the lack of cover on the left hand side was painfully obvious today. Thor had a stinker, if good players make the gam,e look easy then he aint a good player. The difference between the right hand attack and the left was a gulf. Odomah came on and whilst adding directness and pace he still does his best to ht the first man with every cross, which broke down moves and started to give them a bit more of the ball. Then after the sending off Taylor was left to do it all on his own....it was painful to watch.

However it has to be said that with a bit of luck we win that game comfortably.

There are games that can be blamed on the manager, like Saturdays shameful showing, this wasnt one for me.

Im not saying he shouldnt go, just that there was nothing from that game that would seal it for me!

Edited by Nigel

Â