Pre match thread

roonst83

Literally all you need to do to beat us at home is stay compact for the first 30 and prevent us creating anything significant, wait for the crowd to turn and players to panic, and you have 60 minutes to start attacking us when the players are pooing themselves and Bruce resorts to hoof-ball.

It is not difficult. Dean Smith knew this and he was highly unfortunate not to come away with a win.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 4

Whelan looked Knackered on Saturday and gets less effective with every game for me. Green n Davis both injured, Jedinak nowhere near match fit so I would go, well actually I wouldn't as I would have drafted O'Hare and Doyle-Hayes in from u23 but not going to happen as they played last night. That said I would go:

Sam

Bree                   Chester                     Terry                Taylor

Lansbury

Elmo                                          Hourihane                           Thor        

Snodders

Hogan

It has the experience and supposed creativity / goals to win against any side in this division, if they are told to play with freedom and not defend should we go ahead. 

Picking a Villa team is almost impossible these days. 100 fans could come up with 100 variations of formation and personnel.

For what it's worth, here's my guess at tonight's lineup....bearing in mind Bruce pretty much blamed the younger players on Saturday, I am fully expecting none of them will feature from the start tonight. Get the feeling Onomah, having  gone off injured in last 2 home league games, will also be benched. Pretty sure Bruce will change it up. That said, I can see him at least sticking to the recently employed 4-1-4-1 formation.

However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jedinak started with Whelan in a 4-2-3-1....if that's the case, we will get destroyed in the middle of the park. If Bruce really is at the last chance saloon, he may even gamble starting Kodija in place of Andre Green, Kodija (left), Snodgrass (centre) and Elmo (right) behind Hogan.

Perhaps he will give the 3 x CB's another try, with Taylor and Elmohamady as WB's? Nothing should surprise us at the moment.

If Boro had a scout at Villa Park on Saturday and saw how many times we were opened up with a diagonal ball, I expect plenty more of it tonight. Neil Taylor's positioning off Terry and Chester has to be better cos if Adomah gets released none of our back four will see his arse for dust!

lineup.png

lineup (2).png

lineup (1).png

Edited by ViewFromT2

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Genuinely kind of hope we lose tbh. Never said that before.

The greater good (the greater good).

I don't care about the "greater good". No Villa fan should want/hope that we lose games. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Surprised this one isn't going to be on Sky but Barnsley Saturday is.

Two reasons.  Firstly they prefer us away from home for viewer numerical reasons and secondly they only book Villa for potential upsets.  Boro wouldn't be one.  Saturday would (and it's away too).

• Like 2