The Art Thread

villa_shere

Bought my house three years ago and still haven't added any artwork/paintings/pictures up etc. I enjoy walking around some of the galleries in Solihull but never took the plunge into buying one.

Anyone on here a keen art buyer? 

Anyone commissioned any works by local artists?

I'm reminded of that episode of Grand Designs where the bloke wanted to put a Ducati on his living room wall as 'art', ACD McLeod was completely exasperated.

Guess it depends what you call art really. I've long wanted some pop culture stuff on the wall but always found it hard to find stuff that wasn't either completely shit or too obviously a poster or whatever. Those Polish movie posters are often decent though. And Mondo if you can justify some of the prices.

I've a totally random assortment of things on my walls. Some art, some memorabilia. 

I've got one piece of original artwork (which is probably worth about a grand). A pastel of fishing boats in a harbour (Balbriggan, I think). 

One much smaller painting of St Emilion that I picked up on holiday but that was only a couple of hundred quid.

Other than that, I've got a few of my own photos on one corner, a couple of wood carvings from trips and then the following:

A print of The Great Bear by Simon Patterson:

the_great_bear.jpg

A signed print of this:

tumblr_ktekolnRGq1qaossqo1_500.jpg

A Lichtenstein print:

Roy_Lichtenstein_Whaam.jpg

A framed skate deck from a band:

oo34sZS.jpg

A framed hockey jersey:

u09WX3q.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

My mate has 2x original Rolf Harris works. 

Value of those took a beating in recent years. 

My boss put a lot of his pension in to Rolf Harris paintings.

Did lots of research on pension returns, art returns, interest rates, who was going to appreciate in value once they died, where the value was in the market. Really went in to it in detail.

Experts, eh!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

My boss put a lot of his pension in to Rolf Harris paintings.

Did lots of research on pension returns, art returns, interest rates, who was going to appreciate in value once they died, where the value was in the market. Really went in to it in detail.

Experts, eh!

I dunno. Hitler's (crap) paintings go for impressive prices. 

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

to be fair to Hitler, he never forced his didgeridoo on anyone

Hmmm. Maybe. 

Hitler had a few brief relationships when young. He was deeply attached to his half-niece Geli Raubal, 19 years his junior. She began living at his residence after her mother became Hitler's housekeeper in 1925. Although the exact nature and extent of their relationship is unknown, Kershaw describes it as a latent "sexual dependence". It was rumoured among contemporaries that they were in a romantic relationship. Geli committed suicide with Hitler's gun in his Munich apartment in September 1931. 

Hitler's sexuality

26 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Every time I learn something new about this guy he goes down in my estimation. Absolute melon.

Yeah, I'm starting to think he wasn't all that nice, too... 

• Like 1

Â