PL clubs vote to close transfer window before season starts

BOF

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I think the idea is that the other main European leagues will come on board too, but pretty sure they won't.

Seria A clubs want to change the deadline now.

Juventus general manager Giuseppe Marotta welcomes the moving of the Premier League transfer window, and wants Serie A to follow suit.

It was announced today that English clubs will now only be able to buy players up to the Thursday before the league starts.

Marotta, who is also President of the Sporting Directors’ Association, has long been an advocate of his approach, and was asked by Sky for his reaction to the news.

“This is a decision I was waiting for with great satisfaction,” said the Bianconeri director.

“It’s the right choice. Having such a long transfer window creates turmoil, a well-run club succeeds by planning out a transfer campaign.

“The transfer market has to be limited, you can’t have players moving when the leagues have already started.

“Our Lega Serie A must now address the FIGC, with a strong opinion arriving from all the clubs.

“The decision is for the Federation, but all the major leagues have to be in line.”

Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio joins the calls to move the transfer window - “I’m absolutely in favour”.

The English Premier League today decided to stop clubs buying on the final Thursday before the season starts.

That led to calls from Juventus, Torino, Roma and Milan to adopt a similar system for Serie A, and it appears that initiative is gaining momentum.

“I agree with closing the transfer window a few days before the start of the season,” Ausilio concurred, speaking to Premium Sport.

“It would be good if all the Federations could comply with this rule, as it’s become a global market at the European level, so it we need it in a way that’s the same for everyone.

“That said, I’m absolutely in favour of this initiative.”

https://www.football-italia.net/109527/ausilio-backs-transfer-window-move

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Things just got even harder for the team promoted by the play off's.

I also think in the short term this will drive the price of players up.

It could also stop clubs spending quite so much of pre-season playing in revenue spinning friendlies.

I agree but only very slightly on all 3 points.

Clubs currently have ~3 months of the summer to register players, they can obviously be discussing transfers any time they want. I can't see ending about 3 weeks earlier making much different. There will still be the same mad panic in the last 48 hours regardless of whether the window is 1 month, 2 months or 3 months long.

Promoted clubs still only lose a couple of weeks. Not the end of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

"The change already agreed for the Premier League will allow players to be sold to outside the top flight until 31 August, but in comings will stop before the season starts."

Surely this will bugger clubs who have to operate on a sell before they can buy basis and what happens if they run out of time?  FFP also a factor, - the rules no doubt get tougher to protect the elite being caught up with.

Anything else they plan on doing to try and kill football?

Â