PL clubs vote to close transfer window before season starts

BOF

Premier League clubs vote to close transfer window before season starts

Premier League clubs vote to close transfer window before season starts

Premier League clubs have voted to close the summer transfer window before the first game of next season.

The 2018 window will close on the Thursday before the first match of the next campaign in August, and the new rule applies only to the buying of players.

Premier League clubs will still be able to sell players to other leagues whose transfer windows remain open until August 31.

The transfer window for the English Football League also remains unaffected, with clubs able to sell to lower division sides unless the EFL decides to bring its window in line with the top flight.

The Premier League transfer window in January remains unaffected by the impending changes.

The decision to make these changes was not unanimous but was reached by a majority of the 20 Premier League clubs.

I find this to be an utterly bizarre decision.  It fixes nothing but ties their hands.

Now once the season starts, European sides will have a month unrivalled to come in and attempt to buy what they want.  If Real Madrid decide to offer £180m for Dele Alli and Spurs agree to sell, United and City cannot offer a rival bid.  Madness.

If it was brought in to protect the Swanseas of the world from having their Sigurdssons nicked, it doesn't achieve that either.  He can still be bought.  Just not by a Prem side.  And if he is bought then Swansea can't buy a replacement.

"The decision to make these changes was not unanimous" - No shit Sherlock.

I can't see it lasting, and as soon as it backfires on someone it won't be long before they're moaning about having their hands unfairly tied behind their backs.

Just now, BOF said:

I find this to be an utterly bizarre decision.  It fixes nothing but ties their hands.

Now once the season starts, European sides will have a month unrivalled to come in and attempt to buy what they want.  If Real Madrid decide to offer £180m for Dele Alli and Spurs agree to sell, United and City cannot offer a rival bid.  Madness.

If it was brought in to protect the Swanseas of the world from having their Sigurdssons nicked, it doesn't achieve that either.  He can still be bought.  Just not by a Prem side.  And if he is bought then Swansea can't buy a replacement.

"The decision to make these changes was not unanimous" - No shit Sherlock.

I can't see it lasting, and as soon as it backfires on someone it won't be long before they're moaning about having their hands unfairly tied behind their backs.

Completely agree, they are so dumb the people over here 

the PL clubs could all do their business before the season started if they wanted to, its their own decision to be buying and selling players at 10.55pm on the 31st August

fixing something that isnt broke

if the 20 clubs and the head honchos got together and someone asked "what was wrong with this transfer window" if this was the general consensus then it really has disappeared up its ass

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the PL clubs could all do their business before the season started if they wanted to, its their own decision to be buying and selling players at 10.55pm on the 31st August

fixing something that isnt broke

if the 20 clubs and the head honchos got together and someone asked "what was wrong with this transfer window" if this was the general consensus then it really has disappeared up its ass

But not even that's true because it doesn't take into account the fluidity of the overall market.  Sometimes (foreign) players only become available once their parent club have signed a replacement, and that could be at any point up until the end of the window.  So through no fault of their own, a Chelsea or a United, or anyone else for that matter may genuinely not be able to buy their prefered target until mid-way into August when everyone else is still buying and selling.  Which has now become an impossibility for Premier League clubs.  It's utterly bewildering :)

I also think another obvious consequence of this will be the bigger sides around Europe keeping their powder dry on the larger deals until the Premier League starts so that they don't risk getting gazumped by Premier League clubs.

I get both sides of this argument, but all in all I think this puts the premier league at a disadvantage. If players were unable to be sold even to other nations once the transfer window ends, then this could work, but since that isn't the case, I could see foreign clubs continuing their current windows as normal. 

6 hours ago, BOF said:

Good.

Anything that helps destroy the monstrosity that the Premier League has become is fine by me. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Xela said:

Good.

Anything that helps destroy the monstrosity that the Premier League has become is fine by me. 

Which is why it'll last about one season :)

Totally agree it's an absurd idea. 

I think its also pretty short sighted implementing it to coincide with a world cup year!!! The worlds 'best' players will be tucked away on a tourno which will cause issues in agreeing fees, wages etc etc.

Another concern is for the three promoted teams, who arguably have the biggest job of all trying to assemble a competitive squad with the least amount of preparation time - as those clubs (of which we may be one) didn't agree to this, they should be exempt and stick to the current format.

Never going to happen though!

Think it's a good move, last few years have been a complete joke with regards last minute deals which disrupt whole clubs for weeks on end.

Yeah big clubs could come in from abroad but there haven't been that many moves in recent times with a Madrid or Barca coming in for a major prem player, Coutinho and De Gea being the only ones.

I expect prem clubs will counter this by putting clauses in new deals players sign that state they can only go abroad by the close of British window. Say Coutinho signing the new deal in January and Liverpool putting in the clause he could only move to Barca by August 12th.

Â