Commonwealth Games 2022

villa4europe

announced this morning that the Birmingham bid for the games is the preferred bid for the UK, beating Liverpool (which surprised me if im honest) theres a bit more work to do in terms of feasability and cost plans etc before i think the government has a vote at the end of the month to see if they'll approve the £500m cost and formally back the bid, means it will be brum or Kuala Lumpur 

Brums bid also included some sort of urban street game festival thing (3x3 basketball in victoria square as an event) and an international business exhibition

the city is about to boom, will post more when im not skiving work...

• Like 2

I'll be quite surprised if the ultimate decision is for a UK bid at all.

Still, shocked Birmingham won out. Despite being the home of UK Athletics I'd have staked a lot of money Liverpool would take it based on image if nothing else.

34 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'll be quite surprised if the ultimate decision is for a UK bid at all.

Still, shocked Birmingham won out. Despite being the home of UK Athletics I'd have staked a lot of money Liverpool would take it based on image if nothing else.

Indeed, there doesn't seem much appetite from other countries to host so i suspect as KL is interested, they will give it to them.  The UK will probably get every other Games by default.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Made up Brum won it, you can have all the traffic chaos you like 

I drive past the Alexandra Stadium every day. The traffic is awful as is, my major reservation about the games coming here was how bad they could possibly get.

...in the unlikely event we win any possible bid I might just book the time off.

Just now, Chindie said:

I drive past the Alexandra Stadium every day. The traffic is awful as is, my major reservation about the games coming here was how bad they could possibly get.

...in the unlikely event we win any possible bid I might just book the time off.

The traffic was awful on the Walsall Rd 30 years ago, it won't have got any better. I'm genuinely happy it's not in Liverpool because the roads here are an absolute mess right now

22 minutes ago, bickster said:

The traffic was awful on the Walsall Rd 30 years ago, it won't have got any better. I'm genuinely happy it's not in Liverpool because the roads here are an absolute mess right now

Every road going into the city centre from the north is horrendous at the best of times. I'm not usually on the Walsall Road but there basically isn't a way to avoid horrors around there at any time outside of midday and evening. A single flooded underpass a couple of years ago killed commuting into the city, some snow before that turned a 6 mile journey into a 3hr one, the WW2 bomb this year caused chaos even before rush hour was a thing... The roads can't cope there. Regularly I'll head home and completely inexplicably the roads will not move, for no reason. 1 person breaking down in Perry Barr can cause a never ending jam into the city.

The councils solution to this is openly declared as 'make the traffic worse'!

The Games would cause hell.

Edited by Chindie

I think it's great for the city. It's about time we got to hold a major sporting event. As a city it pisses all over Liverpool anyway, especially considering how much money they got for capital of culture which they beat us for (not sure how).

As the OP stated the urban basketball thing looks ace if they actually get it sorted.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

1)As a city it pisses all over Liverpool

2) especially considering how much money they got for capital of culture

3) which they beat us for (not sure how).

1) Beg to differ but advancing on that point would be infantile

2) £0 as far as I'm aware there is no financial reward for winning, the reward is how well you use your time in the spotlight to develop tourism, which then goes into the local economy not directly to the council to develop the city

3) Because the committee take into account the amount of benefit a city will garner from winning the bid, not which is the best bid on paper, the idea is to regenerate cities in need of it

I think it's about to...still haven't got round to my post on brum booming but there's billions being spent on the city before these games, HS2 is bringing a lot to the city, more than I think people realise, HSBC is just the start, it'll never shake the second city fight thing because brum as a city isn't that way inclined, it doesn't care but the development coming should leave no doubt about it

• Like 1

the council might have a bit of fanfare around it but there'll be some national government bods pulling the strings in the background, had a chat yesterday with the company who were bidding to project manage the sandwell pool (for which we'll hopefully be bidding to build) they were confident some of the characters they know from working on the olympics would soon end up in the midlands

I think it would be great for the city to host the Commonwealth Games.

As @villa4europe says, Brum is booming at the minute. I need to buy an apartment in the city centre before too long before the prices go up too much. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Government have backed Birmingham's bid and there is growing speculation that no one else will submit an application, handing it to the city by default.

Also noted that as part of the bid Birmingham want to build a massive new stadium. Obviously we wouldn't be interested but could see the likes of Blues wanting a brand new stadium much like West Ham's government backed ground. How would you feel about them having the biggest stadium in the region even if it was a half empty athletics based one?

edit; misread or misinterpreted first report, as mentioned by another poster the plan is more to revamp Alexander Stadium than a new stadium. But I suppose the question might be asked eventually regardless.

Edited by jackbauer24
New information

2 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

How would you feel about them having the biggest stadium in the region even if it was a half empty athletics based one?

As athletics stadiums are notoriously appalling for football, I would do what one usually does at all things regarding small heath. Point and laugh.

• Like 1

Â