Commonwealth Games 2022

villa4europe

19 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Government have backed Birmingham's bid and there is growing speculation that no one else will submit an application, handing it to the city by default.

Also noted that as part of the bid Birmingham want to build a massive new stadium. Obviously we wouldn't be interested but could see the likes of Blues wanting a brand new stadium much like West Ham's government backed ground. How would you feel about them having the biggest stadium in the region even if it was a half empty athletics based one?

I thought the plan was to develop Alexander Stadium for the athletics?

@Tegis is right though, the idea of 14k sha fans scattered round a 50k stadium, 4 miles away from the pitch it pretty amusing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Avfc96 said:

I would love to know why the bid isn't compliant. No-one else even wants it ffs :huh:

They couldn't confirm if the bins would be collected. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 years later...

Did anybody get tickets in the local area priority ballot?  I applied for the Rugby 7s gold medal day and got some.  I don't think it would have been as popular an event as some of the athletics medals days though. 

12 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Did anybody get tickets in the local area priority ballot?  I applied for the Rugby 7s gold medal day and got some.  I don't think it would have been as popular an event as some of the athletics medals days though. 

Nope - I applied for a gymnastics finals day and failed 😢

only one of my mates got tickets (also to the 7s) but none of the others despite multiple dates/events requested.

Couldnt believe some of the ticket pricing though - huge for a family of 4 etc. 

I got tickets to an evening swimming session. Only applied for that and an athletics evening, so got quite lucky. Didn't apply for too much as it would be the 4 of us so didn't want to get to end up paying for too many events. Might have a go for something else in the second ballot. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Everyone I know who applied got some. I applied for 4 different events and ticked the auto upgrade if not available and got none.

I emailed them to ask why I didn't get any even though I ticked the 'whip me' option and they gave a stock response of sorry you've been unsuccessful.

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I got super excited about applying for the ticket ballot. Then I saw the prices and didn't bother applying for anything. I'm not *that* interested.

How much are they? 

Created an account to try and get gymnastics tickets for 2 adults and a 12 year old 

If I'm not getting decent change from £100 then that's me out 

Wow only 2 pages think I better bump this up. Got tickets for all I applied for apart from Athletics (boo) and the Basketball. Might try again for the athletics in the second ballot as I missed out in the Olympics as well. All my tickets cost between £15 to £20 which is very reasonable.

Everyone always moans about the cost of these events and there is a debate if money could be spent better elsewhere, but I really think it will be good for Birmingham and the wider region. We all know that the west midlands is chronically underrepresented in all sorts of things and for many its just space between London and the North so will be good to challenge pre conceptions. Its just a shame that Coventry's capital of culture this year has been really impacted by Covid.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its just a shame that Coventry's capital of culture this year has been really impacted by Coventry.

FTFY

FWIW, joking aside, some of the gigs Terry Hall curated I would have gone to had I been remotely close

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

How much are they? 

Created an account to try and get gymnastics tickets for 2 adults and a 12 year old 

If I'm not getting decent change from £100 then that's me out 

I honestly can't remember accurately, though I do remember there's a huge variation between events. I just remember thinking it wasn't really worth it.

A session (not the full day) at the athletics will cost around £250-£300 for a family of four. 

The cycling at the velodrome was equally extortionate ☹️

I put an application into the ballot for gymnastics finals at the NIA and it would’ve cost around £150 for the family (which I could justify!) sadly I didn’t get through the ballot… 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I will repeat myself- I have got 6 events  which cost between £15 to £20 each.  Boxing, Weightlifting, Squash, Volleyball, Hockey, and Badminton.

If you wanted to watch the 100 metre final in the best seats then of course it will be expensive. If you look around for lots of other events I think the prices are very reasonable for a once in a lifetime experience.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 21:13, The_Rev said:

I got 2 lots of rugby tickets. Applied for athletics and the 3v3 basketball and didn’t get those.  I’ve to go to the rugby (although VP would be better), but gutted didn’t get athletics 

Â