Everybody's Golf

hogso

Hole in one off long tees!

I got one on one of the first 2 courses - think it may have been the first one.  Was a bit lucky from recollection as I think I hit the pin, and the ball just dropped in the hole :D

Don't fully understand the online play.  Joined a couple of rooms last night whereby all participants just withdrew from the game.  Frustrating and weird.  Jumped into "open course" on the bonus one last night and submitted an -11 score through 9 holes.  Absolutely nowhere near the best (think I was 1,173 overall at the time) and "4th" on my rival list... whatever the hell that is.  Is online play basically **** wank?

Well, it's not great. I like testing myself and seeing how I stand in regards to the global leaderboard on the bonus course, and like you, even if I post what I think is a decent score, it's actually not all that good overall! It seems to be a half decent way to gain coins, items, and gems if you care about that sort of thing.

Frame rate is horrible on the open course at times though! When travelling around that is, not during your round, thank goodness.

Try Turf Wars if you haven't already, that's a bit more fun, even with strangers.

Other than DriveClub I've never gotten anywhere near the top of any global leaderboards and even in DC I was in about the top 100,000 odd when it first came out and was all wonky and stuff so even that was probably a glitch :D.

I was number 1 in the world for about 30 minutes on JC3 for longest wing suit glide once.

I just accept that the top lot are cheating/hacking or exploiting now. Some scores/times/records on games are just impossible. I just compete with friends instead.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Also, how far has everyone progressed?

I'm level 9, rank 4 but yet to face a rank 4 opponent.

Pretty much the same as you but level 10. Need to get back on this soon. I really love it.

I'm rank 10, I think, and have just got to rank 5.

On EG, it appears that custom clubs give you a real edge once you unlock them. I haven't yet, though. I believe once you do you can drive insane distances if you build one for pure power, and have a decent shout of reaching the green on par 5 holes from the tee.

Level 11 now, just done boss 2 in rank 5. It's a stroke play match. Took me 3 attempts cos I kept **** up the final hole. The green is on a little peninsula, with a large body of water in front of the fairway, and a small area of water behind the green. So, undershoot it or overshoot it and the score you've worked hard to achieve up to that point is completely wasted - which is exactly what happened to me. On my third attempt at it I played ultra conservative and suck it on par, which was enough as I was already 2 shots ahead. Phew.

I like how the AI is fallible. Sure, they'll hit the odd perfect shot which you can hardly believe, but they also hit a lot of shite too. Likewise if they play themselves in to trouble, they'll get out of it perfectly sometimes, or get stuck. At least, that's up to rank 6. 7 they might all be perfect, I dunno yet :lol:

Played some Turf Wars with @villarule123 last night (after beating him 1v1 ;) )

It's quite fun. Gets pretty tactical towards the end.

I made a putt with 3 seconds to go that snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat, which was nice! (I didn't let on that I missed the preceding birdie putt that would have won it!)

It is a great mode, and indicative of what we can expect from future updates, I think. It works fine, and is fun, but it'd be nice if there was some sort of online team system, seeing how much of a big deal is made of teams in the single player. I'd imagine it's nailed on, but I can't say I keep tabs on the dev so don't know if it's in the pipeline or not. Some more rewards from Turf Wars would be good too, even if it's only cosmetic stuff.

Have you guys noticed how on the loading screen for 'Home' there's a run way and plane in the background that you can't access? In the promo stuff before release there was mention of a sky diving mini game, so that might be coming in an update too.

It's crazy how much I'm enjoying it. I had Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn on the go before this, both of which I'd have amongst my favourite of the gen, but this has had me put them both down. I'm kind of gutted I can't play it when I'm on holiday as I know I'll have to build back to where I am now in regards to course familiarity and shot timings in 2 weeks time :lol:

Faced the Rank 4, 2nd "boss" last night and remembered reading about @hogso losing for the first time in a VS. against him...

...VS. contest ended after 4 holes B).  Huge relief, because the longer that would've gone on for, the more times I would've found the rough stuff!  Cracking game, though.  I guess I'll find out more as I progress, but would be good to play the simpler courses against really tough AI opponents in later ranks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm enjoying this too, but I am eagerly awaiting it getting a bit harder.

I've not played THAT much, but I'm up to level 10 and I'm on rank 3, having defeated 2 of the 3 bosses at that rank.

And so far nothing has even come close to being remotely challenging. I win every tournament by miles. And the bosses are terrible.

So I'm looking forward to it getting a bit more challenging.

Edited by Stevo985

Â