Mayweather vs McGregor

GingerCollins29

The ability to take a punch wasn't really a question CM had to answer, just sheer weight of punches

And finished...... boxer wins. Not as easy as most thought but once he had seen off that initial burst he was getting more on top by the minute. 

Quick stoppage, possibly but you have to remember that in boxing the ref will stop too much damage

Boing time for bed after a 12hr shift then the fight

Entertaining enough fight, McGregor out of his depth but put up a decent show. He struggled with mayweather getting in close all the time and having to stop when in the clinch. McGregors stamina has always been a bit suspect and he tends to get gassed in round 2/3 in UFC so would laways be an issue against someone who has made a living doing 12 rounders and he was out on his feet in the 9th

Ah well, Wouldn't be surprised if Mcgregor ends up in the ring again at some point as there is potentially more money in boxing than UFC

Edited by LakotaDakota

I was impressed with McGregor.  If he'd came through the traditional route in boxing fighting 4, 6 and 8 rounders before stepping up to the twelve round fighters then I can't see him having the stamina issues he had tonight but it is what it is and he can come away with his head held high.  I think the Mayweather camp knew exactly what would happen though and they got what they wanted.  Not sure about the cries of early stoppage from McGregor though, seen a bit of it on Twitter too, but MMA hasn't had fighters die in the ring or world champions suffer severe brain damage like Michael Watson or Gerald McClellan yet, but boxing has so when a guy is taking punches like McGregor was towards the end then the fight needs to be stopped. 

@LakotaDakota  it wouldn't surprise me to see Paulie Malignaggi call McGregor out after tonight.  They've got an angle with the beef from their sparring camp and while it won't do Mayweather numbers I think there is money there and McGregor could get the lions share of the purse.  I'm not sure what McGregor will want to go back to MMA but I'm guessing it's $3-5m for his next fight, he could probably earn that in a boxing ring too. 

Edited by The_Rev

Yep, stoppage was fine, he may well have been gassed & fatigued but he was also barely able to stand, couldn't defend himself and was taking heavy punches. A more experienced boxer may have gone down/taken a knee to try and recover

@The_Rev Amir Khan has also expressed an interest this week and seeing as he hasn't had much luck finding an actual boxer to fight for most of the past 3 years (only 2 fights) why not give a non-boxer a shot. It would fill Wembley and UK ppv would be high but nobody else would care

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

Compubox had Mcgregor landing more punches in round 1,2 & 3.  They were level in 4 then all mayweather after that

Quick comparison from his last few fights (12 rounds)

Mayweather [232/410, 56%]
Berto [83/495, 16%]

Mayweather [148/435, 34%]
Pacman [81/429, 19%]

Mayweather [232/505, 46%]
Canelo [117/526, 22%]

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

Fun fight, I enjoyed the spectacle. Surprised McGregor was as successful as he was, although ultimately I think they agreed that nobody would get too hurt, and that they'll milk this tit again.

Entertaining enough. 

But incredibly one sided. 

I thought McGregor won the first couple of rounds when it looked like Mayweather was just weighing him up. 

From round 3 onwards it was obvious who was going to win. 

Went like I thought. Mayweather outclassed him and mcgregor stamina played into it. Mcgregor did himself proud considering he has never boxed before.

like I said mcgregor would do better in a boxing match than mayweather would in a Mma fight. I expect now Pauline vs mcgregor. That be more competitive. If he could sort his stamina issues out he might have a career in boxing. 

• Like 1

McGregor looked like a bum, after Mayweather got a read on him, which I guess a leopard can't change his spots after all, it was game over, most of McGregor's shots appeared to be rabbit punches and totally ineffective, he need to stick to his own sport. Wouldn't surprise me if the intention was to prolong it given this event had about as much credibility as Summerslam - Mayweather really didn't try to do anything in the first 3 or so rounds, which although that's often how he fights, he did less than usual, which is highly suspicious. Mayweather hopefully doesn't box again, he'd get decapitated by top welterweights at this stage - although seeing that would be good.

Another interesting thing of note, McGregor looked a good 20lb-25lbs heavier on the night and still got stopped, which underscored my point that Mayweather was going to be the puncher in this fight.

Anyway, I made a lot on this so delighted :D

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I got out of work early and hustled downtown to get in one of the few bars to have the fight...the line was about 40 deep, and just as I approached the doorman to ask what the time frame was, I found myself right behind two "VIP"s who cut the line, the doormen thought I was part of their group, lol. So i cut the line and got in free. The place was probably at double capacity at around 500 people. Rowdy crowd, and a really good time.

Both of them got what they wanted, Connor got his good couple of rounds in and didn't embarrass himself, mayweather ends his career with a fight where he was aggressive and got a stoppage 

And of course there was a bit of money involved...

So that went exactly as 90% of people thought it would then. Glad I didn't even consider staying up for it, watched it this morning instead. It was entertaining enough. 

Thank f thats over. Now lets get back to enjoying our sports like it was meant to. :D

Really happy for Badou Jack, two time champ now and on par with the great Ingemar Johansson in his home country. Much respect.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Thank f thats over. Now lets get back to enjoying our sports like it was meant to. :D

Really happy for Badou Jack, two time champ now and on par with the great Ingemar Johansson in his home country. Much respect.

Jack is a fairly underappreciated boxer tbh, he's what the late Manny Steward would call a 'solid basic boxer' and by that he'd mean someone who really paid attention in boxing 101 and has all the fundamentals down. He also punches a lot harder than advertised. He got sparked out in 1 round a couple of years ago and that clouded a lot of people's judgement of him. He has amassed some very respectable wins since. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Compubox had Mcgregor landing more punches in round 1,2 & 3.  They were level in 4 then all mayweather after that

Quick comparison from his last few fights (12 rounds)

Mayweather [232/410, 56%]
Berto [83/495, 16%]

Mayweather [148/435, 34%]
Pacman [81/429, 19%]

Mayweather [232/505, 46%]
Canelo [117/526, 22%]

Meaningless when you factor in that Floyd is 40 and that this was an exhibition fight not a serious boxing match.