Mayweather vs McGregor

GingerCollins29

guess this is why so many people are talking about it & watching it. Even if you think it is a complete farce and that mayweather will win veery round without being hit once there is still that element of chance.

Everyone knows what should happen but like anything else, things don't always go to plan and Leicster win the league, A man with a shredded wheat for hair ends up in the white house, douglas beats tyson, fury beats a ukranian boxing robot, falcons & seahawks somehow manage to throw away superbowls with big leads and minutes to go and every other shock/upset you can ever think of

Edited by LakotaDakota

For whatever reason sky news chose Kidderminster to come do an interview with owners of a MMA club and boxing club, sound s like this fight is having a huge positive impact in the numbers of yoof getting interested, also did a little bit on the growth of MMA amongst all walks of life (read: old women) which is something you might say boxing never really managed

This fix talk is just nonsensr. Both have huge egos cant see one or the other wanting to lose deliberately. Mayweather for one will not want the loss on his record and mcgregor will not want to be humbled in his first boxing match. 

If he hits mayweather its game iver but he wont.not even canelo could get close to him so how ill McGregor?

58 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

For whatever reason sky news chose Kidderminster to come do an interview with owners of a MMA club and boxing club, sound s like this fight is having a huge positive impact in the numbers of yoof getting interested, also did a little bit on the growth of MMA amongst all walks of life (read: old women) which is something you might say boxing never really managed

Never heard of boxercise? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This fix talk is just nonsensr. Both have huge egos cant see one or the other wanting to lose deliberately. Mayweather for one will not want the loss on his record and mcgregor will not want to be humbled in his first boxing match. 

If he hits mayweather its game iver but he wont.not even canelo could get close to him so how ill McGregor?

No it's not. (a) Mayweather has a good chin and (b) Mayweather is the puncher in this one. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No it's not. (a) Mayweather has a good chin and (b) Mayweather is the puncher in this one. 

I'd argue he hasn't felt a puncher like mcgregor. There is no question this guy has immense punching power. His weakness will of course be his ability to use it boxing

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd argue he hasn't felt a puncher like mcgregor. There is no question this guy has immense punching power. His weakness will of course be his ability to use it boxing

He's been in with guys who punch much harder than McGregor. 

Also, people need to understand the difference between striking and punching (in boxing). Boxing stances and techniques are far better optimised for punching than anything in BJJ, Karate or any other martial arts. Sure McGregor is a great striker, but that's totally different, so can he, in the space of 6 months, pick up boxing technique that will allow him to perform at the elite level? No, of course not. Your last sentence basically undermines your point tbh. 

The marketing $$$ behind this fight has clearly worked because I'm really shocked at the lack of thinking and appreciation for boxing and MMA that's going on. 

Looking forward to the event and hope Conor can KO Mayweather but if not at least perform in a way which leaves him earning respect from some of his doubters and give Mayweather a better fight than some of his previous competitors.

My prediction is Mayweather to win on points.

Then we'll hopefully see how Mayweather gets on in an MMA fight:crylaugh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's been in with guys who punch much harder than McGregor. 

Also, people need to understand the difference between striking and punching (in boxing). Boxing stances and techniques are far better optimised for punching than anything in BJJ, Karate or any other martial arts. Sure McGregor is a great striker, but that's totally different, so can he, in the space of 6 months, pick up boxing technique that will allow him to perform at the elite level? No, of course not. Your last sentence basically undermines your point tbh. 

The marketing $$$ behind this fight has clearly worked because I'm really shocked at the lack of thinking and appreciation for boxing and MMA that's going on. 

What makes you think he's only been learning to box for six months?

youre a man who knows more about these things than me, how does he get a boxing license? I'm assuming it's based on an ability to show at least some level of boxing skill? He's then spent at least six months from there getting better

dont get me wrong the gap in the skill level is going to be insane but surely if mcgregor can't box a decent level we wouldn't be here?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

So, I don't know enough about boxing to challenge your opinion on this. I like a good tear up and watched quite a bit back in the day, but my technical knowledge is pretty much zero. 

I do have a few pals who are bang into it, including one who did ok as an amateur and has a pro in the family. 

In the pub last week, the consensus amongst them was the same as yours, the difference being they all gave McGregor a 'punchers chance'. All of them agreed he does have a punch capable of knocking Mayweather down, but didn't think he'd be fast enough to land it. 

You don't seem to think he can punch at all, so what is it they are seeing that you arent or vice versa? I get your point about striking Vs punching, but he knocks guys out and that's the point isn't it? Strike/punch whatever, if he can floor a bloke, he can floor a bloke? 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

What makes you think he's only been learning to box for six months?

youre a man who knows more about these things than me, how does he get a boxing license? I'm assuming it's based on an ability to show at least some level of boxing skill? He's then spent at least six months from there getting better

dont get me wrong the gap in the skill level is going to be insane but surely if mcgregor can't box a decent level we wouldn't be here?

See that's kind of what my uneducated brain is saying too. 

The guy can scrap, so surely a decent trainer could at least get him to a place where he has a couple of decent punches in his locker? 

• Like 1

To be fair he caught Paulie with a really nice left in sparring from the released footage which if he can somehow manage to do in the fight, it'll be interesting to see what effect it has on Floyd. 

But the more likely scenario is that Floyd's masterful defence will have Connor frustrated and in turn will make him ragged and open to all sorts of counters. 

Just in case anyone fancies watching some boxing tonight instead of the freakshow

cotto-v-kamegai-august.png?width=500&hei

The WBO World Super-Welterweight Title

Future hall-of-famer Miguel Cotto will step back into the ring on August 26th to challenge for the vacant WBO World Super-Welterweight Title against Japan’s big-punching Yoshihiro Kamegai live on BoxNation.

Puerto Rico’s fistic hero (40-5, 33 KOs) is a seasoned veteran in the ring and has faced a who’s who of the Super-Lightweight, Welterweight and Super-Welterweight divisions, winning World Titles in four weight classes.

The bruising body puncher’s career includes knockout wins over the biggest names in boxing in recent years, including Paul Malignaggi, Zab Judah, Ricardo Mayorga and Sergio Martinez to name but a few.

He avenged his loss to the controversial Antonio Margarito in December 2011 using movement and quicker foot and hand-speed to brutally mark up the Mexican’s eye before forcing the stoppage.

Cotto’s last outing came in November 2015, dropping a decision and losing his Middleweight strap to Mexican star Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez. Having taken some time away from the sport, the four-weight World Champion is ready to return to action.

Last September, Japan’s Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KO’s) picked up a career-best win against the tough Jesus Soto Karass, going to war for eight rounds before eventually forcing Karass to quit in his corner.

Having had a long journey to this title shot, Kamegai is ready to take it with both hands. In 2014 he dropped a close decision to former Champion and Floyd Mayweather opponent Roberto Guerrero, and has since fought his way back to contention.

Kamegai and Cotto are both known for their all-action styles, with both featuring in Fight of the Year contenders. The intriguing match-up may well be the last chance at World Title glory for both boxers, so this is not to be missed.

• Like 1