Mayweather vs McGregor

GingerCollins29

TBH I think anyone who has a clue about combat sports will not buy it, outside of Mayweather and McGregor's idiotic fanboys, and there's certainly plenty of those. The bulk of the PPV buys will come from the unsuspecting public who don't understand boxing or MMA, but have been seduced by the substantial marketing dollars behind it. 

No surprise to me that the venue itself hasn't even sold out yet, and they will probably be giving tickets away before long to hide some of the empty seats. Incidentally, the average ticket price has been recorded as being a good 5%+ lower than the Pacquiao fight.

I'd actually be fairly surprised if the PPV numbers hit what some outlets are anticipating. 

• Confused 1

personally on the fight, id say theres a lot of casual boxing fans who find mayweather boring, probably more than there are purists who love his art form, he's got to put mcgregor on his ass, if he throws 4 perfect jabs a round ducks and dives and wins this on points then other than making money i dont see what he's achieved, it'll tarnish his legacy further

on the other hand mcgregor, if he lasts more than 4/5 rounds and doesnt utterly embarrass himself then he's laughing, if at any point he rocks mayweather even if he goes on to lose i think you've got to give him credit

mayweather has it all to lose here

said in the boxing thread months back, im expecting it to play out like the hatton fight, mcgregor thinking he's got a chin and can strike him will aimlessly walk forward and mayweather will control it, the only way mcgregor wins is if he's so unconventional that mayweather gets something from somewhere he cant anticipate, i just dont see that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

Mayweather will win the fight at a canter.

No need for the first bit. McGregor has absolutely no chance. Mayweather with 8 oz gloves with infinitely superior technique is the puncher in the fight not McGregor. Just to make it clear, in a boxing match, it is Mayweather who packs the bigger punch. People just don't understand the difference between MMA 'striking' with 4oz gloves and 'punching' in boxing. 

Punching in boxing is far more optimised for power than striking, McGregor does not have the technique to optimise whatever power he has in a boxing sense. 

Unless there's some serious skullduggery at play (which is possible), Mayweather will stop McGregor, probably not a one shot KO, but an accumulation of clean hard right hands over the course of 6-8 rounds and the ref will jump in as it's clear McGregor will be too badly hurt and unable to protect himself and fire back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

What's the odds it'll be a draw, with a rematch (already) planned ?

Or am i just a cynical old git ?

You're just an old git :P

• Haha 1

If one thing this has shown it is how idiotic McGregor fans really are. I think being a die hard fan of a sportsperson is akin to a mental disease. 

I think both are extremely unlikable, but McGregor is a lot more unlikable (somehow). Mayweather's style is boring, as a purist of the sport I don't even admire that much, give me James Toney over Mayweather any day of the week, that's real boxing, Mayweather is far too negative in his work. However I doubt Mayweather will be particularly defensive in this, he just won't need to be. He will open up on McGregor like the 'pretty boy' Floyd of old when he used to box at lightweight and below.

• Like 1

I love mcgregor, he's a salesman making his money, sport needs characters and he's a massive one, talks shit before the fight humble after it, these pair will be hugging and laughing best mates come 6am Sunday morning, that's pretty much my opinion of the fight industry, they all do it but he's probably the only fighter in the world right now I'd watch fight at 5am and I'm not the only one

his fans are how I'd be if I was there, buzzing my tits off, getting drunk, booing, cheering, that at the weigh in from Connor is nervous energy, fans feed off it, he feeds off the fans, it'd be like me at the fa cup final, his performance will probably be the same as villa's...

would love to know how paddy power ended up sponsoring mayweather, bet that didn't come cheap

watched the interviews and coverage after the weigh in, to be fair to mayweather that looks a good undercard

• Like 1