Ratings & Reactions: Bristol v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/09/17 at 18:45

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

If our goal was mid table a draw would be fine.   It's not our goal.  I'm not fine with that result 

Agree with this completely.

You draw all your games you get relegated.

We need to avoid drawing games.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Bruce is a man that makes a lovely pizza - then smothers it in pineapple - nobody likes pineapple.

Bruce is a man with all the right ingredients for a great pizza but hasn't a clue what to do with them so cooks them in the wrong order for the wrong timings and ends up with something akin to a road traffic accident ...... but, even then, some fans are happy because it still tastes okay ..... ish ...... and its better than eating excrement so they are happy with that too !!!

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, TRO said:

And who is that?

I am sure there must be such a manager out there who would walk to VP. I think Jokanavic (sic) would be gettable and my first choice.....if not there are other managers outside of the usual suspects currently out of work. I'd even be tempted to give Smith a go - averaging around 25 shots a match with 60% possession for the season. Team plays the expansive football we require. Agreed Brentford are a bit suspect defensively at moment but with better defenders this would be resolved. Admittedly Smith would be a gamble but I genuinely think he would do a better job than SB. 

Bruce already has the 'must not lose' mentality engrained into his phsyche and will never change. I understand your point TRO but Bruce will not take us up so do we just stick with him because there is no obvious replacement in your eyes? We should NEVER go away to a championship team and play 5 because Bruce thinks it would 'make us more solid' !! I mean come on......and Bruce wants us to get our 'swagger' back??!! We are Aston Villa, we should go at every team we play and attempt to dominate them and try to blow them away (within reason) as we did vs Norwich first half. 

This job, or rather the expectation, is too big for SB - he will never succeed because if this. We must change now or else the season is over and a third season in the championship makes me extremely nervous. 

9 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Bruce has had two good results in a week, so what does he do? He changes things! He comes up with a dog's breakfast of a shape and system that nobody can play, and then he has to change it after the first 20 odd minutes because we are being torn apart.

Result? We now have an out of shape team with no proper right back! Remind me, how many right backs do we have?

In the end we sneak a point because of a lucky deflection from a weak shot that was never going in.

What do Hogan and Bree have to do to start a game? Why does Bruce totally discount Adomah?

Why the hell are we wrecking our season by letting this clueless manager continue to try and guess what to do in the next game, and the next?

Nail on head, sir. 

• Like 1

I'm glad I was watching the Birmingham Bears last night, I avoided the Villa result so I could watch the re-run "live" this morning on Sky, just watched it. 

Echo what most of you are saying, why change the system from the Norwich game? Bruce thinks there's some kind of hoodoo for away games, so why not treat it like a normal game rather than think you need to do something different, trying different things and being scared of the opposition and away days in general is probably whats causing the bad results. Take the game to the opposition, attack them rather than sitting back - and you will find that you wont be dropping points all the time.

A lucky deflected goal is the only thing that has stopped us from 3 straight away defeats. They should have had a penalty as well. 

Thats 5 points from 5 games, we should be double that if we want to be in the mix. Last year RDM had a similar start, averaging a point a game (with less time getting to know the players etc) and got sacked for it. Please just get rid of him, its obvious he's not up to the task and we are just wasting more time for the next manager.  

• Like 3

Don't think anyone can work out why you hand the initiative to the opposition from the start by inviting them onto you through using the wrong formation when you've been playing well using a different system. Villa didn't look like a team until Bree was brought on and players put in their correct positions.

Second half I thought Villa played some lovely stuff in parts with Davis outstanding in his hold and link up play allowing others to run off him. Davis first touch is excellent as well so he is a real find.

Generally speaking a point at Bristol considering the first half debacle (caused by Bruce's tinkering) is not a bad result as most teams visiting will struggle to get anything there but unless Bruce settles on one system (not three at the back) and stops paying Championship teams too much respect then he will be out of a job with Villa too far behind again to allow any new manager to play catch up.

If we'd have played the same team that beat Norwich, I'm convinced we would have won. 

I'm not one to bang on about tactics, but that was atrocious from Bruce. Why change a winning team? It is really, really odd. Does he want to be sacked?

Think Hourihane looks much better recently and is more effective in that advanced role than Lansbury. 

Green looks really sharp at times and is so quick with the ball at his feet, I think he'll get better.

Davis looks a real handful, still a lot to work on but he is great to have in the squad. Actually though Hogan looked great when he came on though, so with him, Kodjia and Davis fighting over that 1 spot, it will be interesting. 

Its almost like we should be winning most games, but the manager is doing his best not to. 

Snodgrass will be a solid addition. 

• Like 1

Forgot I had an account on here!

I thought a draw was a fair result, missed our goal, but apparently there was an offside shout wen we scored.

With the deflection for yours, we both had a slice of luck.

Felt we perhaps should have had a pen for a handball by Terry, but as before. A draw was the fair result.

Bamba was stopping everything first half, was happy to see him subbed.

A better overall performance by Villa than in this game last season.

Edited by JamesBCFC

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I thought a draw was a fair result, missed our goal, but apparently there was an offside shout wen we scored.

Felt we perhaps should have had a pen for a handball by Terry, but as before. A draw was the fair result.

Nice to hear that, even if I think you're being a little generous. I thought you looked a bright, decent side - I suspect you'll do pretty well.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2017 at 13:54, JamesBCFC said:

Disagree, James. I thought we were extremely lucky to get a draw there. Good luck for the season.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2017 at 12:41, VillanousOne said:

Bruce was so obsessed with not losing away from home he forgot that you can win games away from home also.

Bruce is constantly telling us the players wilt under the expectation of a club the size of Aston Villa.

But the problem is that Bruce, not the players, feels the weight of expectation and is just not up to it.

The job is too big for him and he realises that.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2017 at 13:35, GingerCollins29 said:

A draw is terrible. Anybody saying different needs their heads  checking!

I'm in the queue......its better than a defeat.

15 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Bruce is constantly telling us the players wilt under the expectation of a club the size of Aston Villa.

But the problem is that Bruce, not the players, feels the weight of expectation and is just not up to it.

The job is too big for him and he realises that.

There's something in that, but the constant repetition of all that stuff is counter productive, self destructive claptrap.

It's true the expectation/demand is promotion. That's what the owner set as the target for him and the club. That's what he's been resourced to do, and that's what he wants to do, himself and it's also what the fans also want. So no issue there.

The club has good players, good support, good facilities...many advantages. The only negative is (unsurprisingly, after years of crap) the home support can get a bit anxious at times - particularly if the team sit back and invite the oppos on to us. But that is solvable.

But basically if you keep telling the players it's a hard task, or telling yourself it's hard, then you'll make it more difficult, if not impossible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2017 at 19:22, AntrimBlack said:

Disagree, James. I thought we were extremely lucky to get a draw there. Good luck for the season.

Only just been back on

Best of luck to Villa too, assuming neither club goes up or down I will be aiming to go the game at VP next season (finances mean it almost certainly wont be this year). A ground I have always wanted to go to.

Â