Jake Doyle-Hayes

Villan4Life

9 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Of course physical size strength is an asset, but it’s not an essential.   Messi is small and slow.  Maradonna was short.  But they could roll off the hits.  A low center of gravity and good balance are also positive physical attributes.  

Messi isn't slow, firstly but more importantly you're talking about attackers here. For defensive players it's more important to have some size and strength about you. 

18 hours ago, lexicon said:

No I didn't, I'm only just in my thirties. I don't think it's worthwhile using footballers from that long ago as a benchmark,  though - it's a lot more prudent to look at your average CDM in the top two tiers of football in this country and compare him to that. He's smaller and not as strong, which IMO is stopping from him getting game time at this point. 

Makalele wasnt and Kante isnt that big for CDM's

On 04/05/2018 at 02:22, praisedmambo said:

Messi is slow now?! He's certainly got some acceleration on him—he breezes past players from standing. He's not slow either. 

Sorry, I was imprecise.  His first few steps are very quick.  But coaches talk about quickness over the first yard or two and speed over 20 yards.  Messi has quickness but not speed.  But my bigger point is that the blanket statement that “he’s not big enough” is not precise either.

of course strength and size and speed can be assets, but they are not necessarily ceiling limiting.  A low center of gravity is an asset,   But you wouldn’t say someone is too tall to play midfield.  Good players use their physical assets effectively, whatever those assets are   

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/857543-lionel-messi-and-the-25-best-small-players-in-the-world-right-now#slide2

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/in-soccer-being-short-can-help/372617/

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think Doyle-Hayes is particularly short and he's physically developed over the course of the season. We're not talking about a 16 year old whippet thin strip of stuff here.

To be fair, cowans was slight when he first appeared on the scene, they have to develop.

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

To be fair, cowans was slight when he first appeared on the scene, they have to develop.

But Doyle-Hayes isn't really that slight anymore. I understand the conversation, I'm not sure how much it will apply to the player next season.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

But Doyle-Hayes isn't really that slight anymore. I understand the conversation, I'm not sure how much it will apply to the player next season.

What i mean is.......i want to see him in that environment to form a comfortable judgment.

at youth level they do play in a lesser physical environment, naturally....there is less of a tendency for their game to be negated....its an observation, not a criticism, they have to learn skills first, i understand that.

Many players move up, only to find the skills that got them there are nullified by the rigours of leagues like the championship.....we need to see them in the fist team, to be sure.....but when you are going for promotion, opportunities are slim.

its tricky.

• 2 months later...

Wow, saw this lad absolutely run a league cup game against Wigan a year ago and he looked like 5'4". He is at least 6 foot now. If his game continues to develop could be a great player

Nearly scored a screamer there! Great technique

Edited by ramshackler

2 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Wow, saw this lad absolutely run a league cup game against Wigan a year ago and he looked like 5'4". He is at least 6 foot now. If his game continues to develop could be a great player

I went to that game, he didn't look 5'4" lol. Looks a brilliant prospect though.

2 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

This thread all mentioning he may be too small. Certainly remember him being small in size. A quick Google shows last year's recorded height was 1.65m? 5 foot 4.9inches?

I think this thread is referring to his build rather than his height. 

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What’s a Cavan lad?

- A Cavan man and his wife were at the fair and a pilot was offering a free flight to anyone who would stay quiet while he did loop the loops in the small plane. If they screamed it would cost $50.

- The Cavan couple climbed on board and the pilot did his worst to complete silence from the back of the plane.

- Finally he landed and he complimented the Cavan man on the two-way radio for staying quiet.
“Ah now, I nearly shouted when the wife fell out," the Cavan man replied.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, heffoman said:

- A Cavan man and his wife were at the fair and a pilot was offering a free flight to anyone who would stay quiet while he did loop the loops in the small plane. If they screamed it would cost $50.

- The Cavan couple climbed on board and the pilot did his worst to complete silence from the back of the plane.

- Finally he landed and he complimented the Cavan man on the two-way radio for staying quiet.
“Ah now, I nearly shouted when the wife fell out," the Cavan man replied.

Thanks 

Â