Jake Doyle-Hayes

Villan4Life

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Thought he looked good in the 4-3. Until he gets bigger, I can't see him featuring for us though - he'd get bullied by any reasonably physical CM, I feel. 

Didn't think he seemed that small when he played in the cup. Is cairney at Fulham or Woods at brentford much bigger? 

6 hours ago, lexicon said:

Thought he looked good in the 4-3. Until he gets bigger, I can't see him featuring for us though - he'd get bullied by any reasonably physical CM, I feel. 

I take it you never saw Billy Bremner or Johnie Giles then. Both small, both absolute terrors. Sid Cowans was pretty lightweight when I saw him make his debut aged 17. If they’re good enough, they’re big enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

I take it you never saw Billy Bremner or Johnie Giles then. Both small, both absolute terrors. Sid Cowans was pretty lightweight when I saw him make his debut aged 17. If they’re good enough, they’re big enough.

No I didn't, I'm only just in my thirties. I don't think it's worthwhile using footballers from that long ago as a benchmark,  though - it's a lot more prudent to look at your average CDM in the top two tiers of football in this country and compare him to that. He's smaller and not as strong, which IMO is stopping from him getting game time at this point. 

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

You are right.

we all mention size, buts its not.....Its intrinsic.....its passion, bravery,determination, single mindedness, courage.

and it does boil down to......are they good enough?.....because physicality and above is an integral part of the game, some choose to ignore.

Its crucial.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I think Doyle-Hayes has come on enormously this season, I think the outing in the league cup really helped him. I also think he looks bigger and stronger than he did at the start of the year. If we're not promoted I think he could be important next season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Doyle-Hayes has come on enormously this season, I think the outing in the league cup really helped him. I also think he looks bigger and stronger than he did at the start of the year. If we're not promoted I think he could be important next season.

Very Bright prospect.

Of course physical size strength is an asset, but it’s not an essential.   Messi is small and slow.  Maradonna was short.  But they could roll off the hits.  A low center of gravity and good balance are also positive physical attributes.  

• Like 2

I was impressed by how Grealish has bulked up this season - just enough to make a difference.

Doyle-Hayes is young, and is probably working on doing something similar, as will be many of the young lads.

Definitely one for the future - had an excellent game the other night. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

Of course physical size strength is an asset, but it’s not an essential.   Messi is small and slow.  Maradonna was short.  But they could roll off the hits.  A low center of gravity and good balance are also positive physical attributes.  

Messi is slow now?! He's certainly got some acceleration on him—he breezes past players from standing. He's not slow either. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

Â