Jake Doyle-Hayes

Villan4Life

Being released at the end of the season. Seen him in a league cup match and he really looked the part had high hopes for him - shows how's difficult it is to judge young players.

I'm quite surprised by that, looked like the best central midfielder to come through our ranks in a long time, and has done well at both his loan clubs. Wouldn't be surprised to see a championship team pick him up on a free.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Being released at the end of the season. Seen him in a league cup match and he really looked the part had high hopes for him - shows how's difficult it is to judge young players.

Yes, he made a big impression during that game. I thought that we really had found a player on the night. I wish him well, but hope this decision doesn't come back to haunt us too much in the future.  

Shame he will be released but it's only the start of what i think will be a great career for him. From our perspective i think we are looking to have absolute quality in the 16 to 20 year old age bracket from here on out going by Purslow's comments. You get 2 or 3 of those pushing for the first team each year and that's fantastic. Not going blowing smoke up Ramsey but the kid does look handy. Bossed it at Doncaster from the first game. If we go down, he has to be in our match day squads. Not gonna lie im excited about Barry. Also mindful of the fact the kid turns 17 tomorrow. Very impressed since the summer in particular about how Purslow is reshaping the youth set up. We are making a big effort to get elite 15 to 16 year olds. Instead of " they might be good in their 20s". I'm still not sold on Suso. He might not hang around though. Call it snobbery but id prefer a top British guy in charge of that department.

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Like Traore.....hope its not another one of them.

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Watched him quite a few times this season, looked good in league 2 but I didn't really see anything that made me think he was going to trouble the premier league. 

My thoughts exactly. He's neat. Tidy. Their ten a penny though. Nothing stands out that blows you away.

He's a very good passer of the ball two footed as well, I think he will go on to have a good career and could do so in one of the top two divisions as happened with Robinson, Johnson, Lichaj, Bannan, Hogg and so on. I think it's one of those catch 22 situations where they can become good players but because of their age you have to let them go to become that good player, similar might happen with Green, Hepburn-Murphy, O'Hare, and Sarkic, shame to lose them all on frees though.

I genuinely think this is a mistake. He is a ball playing midfielder, yet has looked good in lower leagues with increased physicality where it is hard to be a ball playing midfielder.

In his appearances with first team he has stood out and looked better with better players around him.

I think not signing him up particularly with relegation likely may really come back to haunt us.

People talk about the physicality of the lower leagues but I guarantee that the players in the Champions League and the Premier League are way stronger than those in the lower divisions.

The lower leagues are just hoofball games of head tennis. The game has moved on. If he was good enough then he would be in the first team or thereabouts. 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

People talk about the physicality of the lower leagues but I guarantee that the players in the Champions League and the Premier League are way stronger than those in the lower divisions.

The lower leagues are just hoofball games of head tennis. The game has moved on. If he was good enough then he would be in the first team or thereabouts. 

No but if you are a technical player it is often more difficult down there as it is primarily hoofball, on poorer pitches surrounded by poor quality. I wasn't saying he is stronger as playing in more physical league, I'm saying his game is one that proves with better players around him.

Given the outstanding performance in his one chance in the first team, I think it's absolutely criminal that he has never had another opportunity with us, despite performing well on loans

Edited by ramshackler

Doyle-Hayes is a promising player I wouldn't have been disappointed if we gave him a contract, but really players of his age we need to be good enough for the first team now, and given that next season we will either be in the premier league or more likely the championship aiming for automatic promotion then he's not going to be good enough, he might be good enough in a couple of seasons but it would be unfair to keep him around waiting for that to happen, in fact we'd probably have to let him go and get game time where there's less expectation for him to develop into the player he can become.

When you think of players like Doyle-Hayes and O'Hare, the question is would any of our rivals take them, they wouldn't get anywhere near the Norwich, Watford, West Ham, or Brighton teams, and if you think ahead to the championship if that's where we are next season I can't see them being transfer targets for any of the teams likely to be challenging us for promotion.

Comical reading threads like this, the fans are half the problem as they dont give time to the younger players and demand big money buys.

Albrighton was seen by a lot as not good enough and then when he goes and is successful people are up in arms

Albrighton had played for the first team in the premier league and had at times been very impressive, I remember him being linked to Liverpool and fans of other clubs were raving about him. Doyle-Hayes, has played in a few league cup games for us and had two loans to two league two clubs, so it's completely different to Albrighton. We can't keep every youth player just in case they become the next Albrighton, for every Albrighton there are scores of our youth players playing in the lower leagues or non-league football.

• 3 months later...

He's being linked with Stoke, QPR and Portsmouth, Cheltenham manager said that they wanted to sign him but can't compete financially with the other teams that he's in talks with. As with Green he'll find a club.

• Like 1

Â