Jake Doyle-Hayes

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Every player who makes an appearance in the first team has to have a squad number, Bruce has signalled his intentions when it comes to Jake Doyle-Hayes by not handing him one.

Whelan has nothing to with it, but Bruce deserves every criticism for this. I actually would not be surprised to see another 30+ aged slow central midfielder added to the squad to add more experience. 

But youth players don't need a number assigned until they actually play, they just get given a number whenever they make an appearance. It's only the older players (over 21? Maybe 23?) that you actually have to assign a number to before the season. Really think too much is being made of this. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ramshackler said:

Not even given a squad number...

F*@k off Bruce. (Whelan number 6 again I see...)

He doesn't need to be registered with a squad number so hasn't been. Chill the **** out ?

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Id say he will be going out on loan.  Hopefully anyway.

This is an avenue that we have never utilised properly, it allows the player development time without the pressure of 30k+ fans on their back for a misplaced pass.

You would have thought that lower league clubs would be queuing up to take some of our youngsters on loan. It makes me wonder if they are not as good as we think, or whether we hold them back?

• Like 2

I think we hold on to players too long to be honest. Gary Gardner is prime example of that, should never have had the contract renewal. We did it with Delfouenso too. We don’t loan them quick enough either and majority stall in their development, has been a problem for many years now and I don’t see anything changing.

2 hours ago, NeilS said:

This is an avenue that we have never utilised properly, it allows the player development time without the pressure of 30k+ fans on their back for a misplaced pass.

You would have thought that lower league clubs would be queuing up to take some of our youngsters on loan. It makes me wonder if they are not as good as we think, or whether we hold them back?

Jake Doyle-Hayes doesn't misplace passes.?

If he did and he was at least ten years older, he'd be one of the first names on Bruce's team sheet!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, weedman said:

But youth players don't need a number assigned until they actually play, they just get given a number whenever they make an appearance. It's only the older players (over 21? Maybe 23?) that you actually have to assign a number to before the season. Really think too much is being made of this. 

You're getting mixed up with premier league rules where you have to name a 25 man squad with unlimited youngsters that can play as and when. Theres no squad limit in the championship.

Thats not to say the same doesnt apply in the championship with young players though, but the issue remains, he is out of the managers thoughts if he is deemed not to require a squad number.

It's quite simple really - If Bruce was planning on using him in the match day squad he would have been given a number. He will only play if there is an injury crisis.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This. I thought he played well, but he needs masses of game time and we have more than half a dozen other CM's. I like his composure on the ball. 

Really? I thought he was mostly awful. 

Jake did some good stuff but made quite a lot of mistakes under severe pressing by Yeovil.

I think he's good enough technically to persist with - the mistakes will grow less with experience - but I just can't see Bruce risking him very often in the league.

When we thought we would lose JG and had no inkling of McGinn coming in, it looked like Jake's big chance.  But now?  Loan out asap.

1 hour ago, Stockport_Villain said:

Nice start, grew into the game and took control after about 20 mins. Will do him good and would like to see him brought on at the end of games to build his confidence. 

That’s not what a centre mid needs, strikers yes but not cm. They need full games for experience and match sharpness. We have enough cover, he needs to go out on loan. 

Â