Robert Snodgrass

alreadyexists

On 16/04/2018 at 09:49, lexicon said:

That's a redundant statement though, most wingers struggle when they're doubled up on. 

You said that he was useless without a RB overlapping. I disagree. 

You're right. He certainly isn't useless without Elmo.

But he is noticeably better with Elmo playing behind him instead of Hutton. But as you say that's more credit to Elmo rather than a negative against Snodgrass.

12 hours ago, Czechlad said:

So they want 12 million for him?! Are West Ham crazy? He is going to be 31 next season, has played in the championship the whole last season, and they bought Snodgrass last January for only 10 million when he was a premier league player. 

Snodgrass has been good for us, but there is no reason for his price tag to have gone up...

You're right, there's no reason for his price to have gone up, and I would imagine that like most starting prices in a negotiation this one will be open to bargaining down, since he's useless to them as an asset. 

This will be his last season here, he has been excellent, but that price is extremely poor value, especially given his age. For that fee I think we could get someone younger and just as effective at this level, if we do go up, then we should be looking at better players anyway.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This will be his last season here, he has been excellent, but that price is extremely poor value, especially given his age. For that fee I think we could get someone younger and just as effective at this level, if we do go up, then we should be looking at better players anyway.

I understand your point however (should we go up) for the sake of hitting the ground running Id say it would be quite important keeping as much as our best team as possible. 

Early points will be vital and we will stand a far better chance with an attack that knows each other, especially with him being such a vital part of that unit.

12 million is cheap for the division, however its not down here. 

If we dont go up he wont be here.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I'd say it would be quite important keeping as much as our best team as possible. 

That's the kind of thinking that gets you relegated IMO. If we go up we should be looking to improve our current "best" team as much as possible. We would need to upgrade 5 or 6 of that team at a minimum. If we could keep Snodgrass as a squad player relatively cheaply then that would be good but that's not realistic. 

Edited by villa89

34 minutes ago, villa89 said:

That's the kind of thinking that gets you relegated IMO. If we go up we should be looking to improve our current "best" team as much as possible. We would need to upgrade 5 or 6 of that team at a minimum. If we could keep Snodgrass as a squad player relatively cheaply then that would be good but that's not realistic. 

Well, it's pretty much the exact approach the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth, Swansea, Southampton, Leicester etc have taken and it's worked out okay for those (Southampton are struggling this year obvs).

They've largely kept the same group of players but have added pockets of quality here and there, which is exactly what we should be looking to do.

Wholesale changes rarely work out well, as we know.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wholesale changes rarely work out well, as we know.

We're not good enough to stay up without wholesale changes IMO. Wolves are but not us.

Edited by villa89

48 minutes ago, villa89 said:

We're not good enough to stay up without wholesale changes IMO. Wolves are but not us.

I'm pretty sure you would have looked at the Bournemouth, Leicester, Swansea, Burnley squads and said the same thing, at the time of their respective promotions.

Having good players is 50% of the equation, team spirit and culture is the other 50%, Leicester proved that by winning the league, Burnley are proving it this season sitting in 7th place and 2 points off Arsenal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

No.  You do have to upgrade, but by getting rid of your weaker players, not your best.

22 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Albrighton? 

• Like 2

It's probably possible that Moyes would want to take a look at him in pre season, strikes me as the sort who'd play Snodgrass a bit although not a great situation as the fans and owner hate him while he gets loads of love here.

Excellent player at this level, hope we can get him here full time. No club will sign him for 12m.

8 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Doesn't deserve it, but is currently in the lead. 

Yeah, I voted for him but feel a bit guilty about it. He arguably deserves it the least out of those five, and Neves should clearly win. 

On 18/04/2018 at 11:59, villa89 said:

Wolves are good enough with this current team - let alone the money that they can now spend - it's not exaggerating to say they can afford whoever they want - this makes me sad!

He and Hourihane are on “You Know the Drill” tomorrow on Soccer AM

Soccer AM is shite but that but is actually usually decent, so should be good with Snodders starring. 

• Like 1

Â