Robert Snodgrass

alreadyexists

There have been plenty of rumours about us trying to get Robert Snodgrass on loan from West Ham. Here's an article in the Birmingham Mail about it...

Aston Villa want to sign West Ham’s Robert Snodgrass on loan.

The winger, who turns 30 next month, has been told he can leave before the transfer window closes and is edging towards a move to Villa.

Steve Bruce signed Snodgrass for Hull City and tried to bring him to the Midlands in the last transfer window but missed out to West Ham.

However, after a difficult seven months in London, the Scot is now on the move and is could be re-united with his former boss.

Edited by alreadyexists

22 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I like him and would be an excellent loan signing if it happens - but where is he going to play- would he really be happy kicking his heels on our bench and at his age?

Snodgrass would be one of the first names on the team sheet - he's class!

• Like 2

Elmo and now Adomah have done pretty well for us so far, for the most part.   The concern I have with bringing in Snodgrass is that if he's being promised regular game time they will both be sitting on the bench.   In a year's time he'll go back and our own players will not have been playing regularly.   We then start the season (hopefully in PL) with right wingers who haven't been playing and aren't likely to be up for it, so we'll end up having to replace them.  And/or they'll be disgruntled and trying to move on.  I realize we'd ideally like to upgrade  them in the PL anyway, but you need to keep a critical mass of the squat together to maintain cohesion and avoid looking like Bambi on ice in a league that will take no prisoner, and FFP will still be enough of a concern that it's best to avoid having to replace players unnecessarily.

• Like 1

He's a really good player but how many of his goals and assists are from set-pieces? Hourihane can and will provide on that front. His delivery is upper Prem class from set-pieces, like Snodgrass. 

It's a long old season and the likes of Green, Adomah and Elmo will blow hot and cold so it'd be great in terms of depth and quality but at the same time it adds to the confusion of getting a somewhat settled side. I'm not against it at all but at the same time, it just creates more questions. I don't know why I'm not jumping for joy as before his move to West Ham he was on fire and was no doubt in countless fantasy teams in a league above where we're playing. 

I suspect Snodgrass, Hourihane and Onomah would terrify the opposition though, provided we continue with allowing forward thinking mids the freedom to play as such. 

It kinda feels like an Arsenal situation where there are so many talented players around the midfield area that they never quite excell because of the chopping and changing. 

In conclusion, I don't bloody know! :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Farlz said:

Hasn't been good at all apparently at West Ham but I'd still be pleased if we get this sorted. Always liked him, would think he'd be great at this level. 

8 games 7 as sub. Hardly had a run. Was the main man at Hull and I think they got him as a cut price Payet for set pieces and it didn't work out

Bruce has worked with him and got the best out of him before, I think he'll be a very good signing.  

He's good at set pieces, so that'll give us Hourihane and Snodgrass as set piece takers.  He works pretty hard, and you know you'll get around 7 goals a season out of him, which is a good thing we've been missing from midfield lately. 

If it's a loan, even better for us - he'll want to stay at the end, or hope to try and get back down to West Ham, so he'll work even harder.  

I won't be complaining if this does happen :) 

• Like 2

Â