• Elmohamady
    • Davis
    • Lansbury (Onomah 30)
    • Bree (Hutton 64)
    • Samba (Davis 87)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/08/17 at 18:45

The positives definitely outweighed the negatives in that match (the defending). However it shows that we can actually play football and that our midfielders are good players if allowed to play! Fantastic performance by Davis today who should keep his starting spot, also Lansbury looked pretty decent when he came on. Onwards and upwards B)

The good:

4 goals was totally unexpected. Not only that, we attacked, got men forward and the players seemed to actually have met before. Davis was a revelation, only pipped to the MoTM by Hourihane who had what will probably be the best performance of any Villa player this season, brilliant going forwards and defensively. We can play well. Bruce subbed Hutton when it was patently obvious he couldn't cope with Murphy.

The bad:

Conceding twice. Bruce starting Alan Hutton in the first place and not making the sub before the inevitable first goal. That using Davis was forced upon him and not a tactical decision. That the game was won by outstanding individual performances and moments and not necessarily through very obviously dominant football.

Mostly pleased. Consider the cracks papered over for now.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 4

we got the result, and some goals. Can't be down when you're kids play so well and Hourihane bags a hat trick. 

Hutton needs to stop playing for us pronto and we have the issue of being so defensive when leading, which nearly got us into trouble again. However, today, I choose to say well done and enjoy today. It doesn't undo the previous 40 or erase all concerns re him staying around, but today they can all just enjoy a win and 3 points. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The good:

4 goals was totally unexpected. Not only that, we attacked, got men forward and the players seemed to actually have met before. Davis was a revelation, only pipped to the MoTM by Hourihane who had what will probably be the best performance of any Villa player this season, brilliant going forwards and defensively. We can play well. Bruce subbed Hutton when it was patently obvious he couldn't cope with Murphy.

The bad:

Conceding twice. Bruce starting Alan Hutton in the first place and not making the sub before the inevitable first goal. That using Davis was forced upon him and not a tactical decision. That the game was won by outstanding individual performances and moments and not necessarily through very obviously dominant football.

Was playing Davis forced upon him? Hogan could've started, or RHM? Or Gabby, or is he injured? I'd not heard that but could be wrong.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

Just... Wow. From now on, that's how you play! 

I thought defensively Hutton was our weak link. Looked better when he went for Bree.. Something to build on and hopefully we kick on from here! 

I expect Bruce to talk like he is Jose Mourinho in his post match presser now.

"Was all a part of the plan, down to the conceding of two, i've done it before and just wanted to create some excitement for the fans, it would be boring just winning with clean sheets wouldn't it?"

:P

It baffles me that we played so badly in the other matches if we can play like that, defensively still a lot to work on but Davis led the line and held the ball up brilliantly, got one assist and deserved at least one goal, Hourinhane was superb.

every touch vs Reading was a hoof forward, today we passed really well, why?

Kids all played fantastic IMO and Davis was immense!

Hourihane MOTM and Green could of had a hatrick to.

Defence is still a worry, far to slow.

I've supported him before but Hutton really has been totally gash so far this season and needs to be dropped.

Why can't we play like that every week?

So I guess Bruce gets to keep his job...for another week.

Don't need to say much more about Hourihane and Davis - both fantastic. We clearly have confidence issues, when we have the confidence to push the midfield forwards, make forward passes and have shots from distance it does work. When they scored our confidence took a hit and we were starting to fall apart again, but in the end we didn't which is promising. Hopefully we can build from the positives.

Taylor was great. probably went mostly unnoticed but he supported the attack down the left just the right amount, didn't bomb forwards and get caught out of position, defended well. Bring Bree into the team ask him to do the same and our defence will improve significantly.

Just now, VillanousOne said:

It baffles me that we played so badly in the other matches if we can play like that, defensively still a lot to work on but Davis led the line and held the ball up brilliantly, got one assist and deserved at least one goal, Hourinhane was superb.

every touch vs Reading was a hoof forward, today we passed really well, why?

I think the problem is away from without support and when teams attack us.  The same intensity and desire isn't there. We crumble. It's a problem. 

Excellent. Actually enjoyed a Villa game for a change. 

Hourihane and Davis both superb. The Norwich backline couldn't cope with Davis. Hourihane further forward does damage, and that today will do wonders for his confidence. 

The big response now is Friday night away at Bristol. Can we turn up away from home?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Amazing result! Absolutely chuffed.

Question: I've read how amazing Davis played but heard that he missed three one on ones. Can anyone elaborate?

I'm going to V to get smashed and watch Stormzy.

Why you watching Lukaku?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the problem is away from without support and when teams attack us.  The same intensity and desire isn't there. We crumble. It's a problem. 

One thing for me was the first goal we conceded.  Earlier in the match we had been doing some pressing, which I gather from other comments we hadn't done much of in earlier games.  For their first goal, we stood off Reid, who played the long ball that led to the goal.  That links to the poor possession stats.  I think that needs changing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The good:

The bad:

Fair assessment.

Â