Football Manager 2018

Villaphan04

I love this game series but I can't think of many of the new features I've used in recent years.

The fan tweets this year added an extra comedic element, especially as you can spot the VillaTalk style responses amongst them but in general they add about as much as sports scientists do.

I almost feel that they need to bring out a new game every 2-3 years and just bring out database updates each year instead.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone playing the Beta yet?  I had a look last night, but I can't change the zoom which means the text is really blurry.  I've not tried the beta before so I'm hoping that I'll have the option to zoom and get the same smooth looking text I have in the full game of FM17.

18 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Anyone playing the Beta yet?  I had a look last night, but I can't change the zoom which means the text is really blurry.  I've not tried the beta before so I'm hoping that I'll have the option to zoom and get the same smooth looking text I have in the full game of FM17.

I am, you have to remember that it isnt a fully released game.

But, I think its taken alot of steps back. The tactics screen is poor, they have added a load of random reports for scoutning and they have removed 2D Classic for a half arsed 2D. Miles the developer has stated this due to very few people using the 2D engine. I know I use it.

Been using the 3D, lines are blurry, cant see the ball and the whether its my laptop or the game it takes ages for the game to go by even on the fastest match day settings. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2017 at 17:07, NurembergVillan said:

Yeah, I got it.

Games not really grabbed me, think this is my last purchase as can’t see me using it much.

Not sure what it is but it’s just lost whatever it had that made it so damn addictive.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yeah, I got it.

Games not really grabbed me, think this is my last purchase as can’t see me using it much.

Not sure what it is but it’s just lost whatever it had that made it so damn addictive.

I've not gone back into it since that first day.  I dunno what they've updated since.  I'm quite enjoying my FM17 save, but it got to the point that transfers were becoming ridiculous so even that's got on my tits recently.

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've not gone back into it since that first day.  I dunno what they've updated since.  I'm quite enjoying my FM17 save, but it got to the point that transfers were becoming ridiculous so even that's got on my tits recently.

I think that’s the main issue.

You go for some 18 year old valued at £1.8m and you offer a decent amount and it comes back with £81m asking price.

Or someone is listed at £12m you offer £11.5m but there is no budging because the asking price is set.

But then when it comes to selling players, you seem to only get offers below value.

Then there is some of the behaviour of players around moves.

I think they’ve spoilt it trying to be clever.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think that’s the main issue.

You go for some 18 year old valued at £1.8m and you offer a decent amount and it comes back with £81m asking price.

Or someone is listed at £12m you offer £11.5m but there is no budging because the asking price is set.

But then when it comes to selling players, you seem to only get offers below value.

Then there is some of the behaviour of players around moves.

I think they’ve spoilt it trying to be clever.

Agreed.  My last save was Ajax, and every transfer window players could come demanding a transfer even if they'd only joined in the previous window.  Then if I finally got a club to accept a bid for one of their players I'd have them asking for nonsense wages and joining a worse club for less money.

Like you say, I can see what they're trying to achieve but it's a crucial mechanic of the game that they've got horribly wrong.

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Agreed.  My last save was Ajax, and every transfer window players could come demanding a transfer even if they'd only joined in the previous window.  Then if I finally got a club to accept a bid for one of their players I'd have them asking for nonsense wages and joining a worse club for less money.

Like you say, I can see what they're trying to achieve but it's a crucial mechanic of the game that they've got horribly wrong.

Especially given that it’s limited (beyond their control) by the transfer window.

An FM YouTuber called lollujo (I hadn't either, but he seems popular) has been 'signed' by Nuneaton Town as the subject for the guys 'non league to legend' challenge, and was invited to the club before starting the game proper. I don't play FM anymore, but I'm very curious about how this series goes. Here's part 0, the preview when he visits the club for real, with the first proper video to come on Tuesday 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, hogso said:

An FM YouTuber called lollujo (I hadn't either, but he seems popular) has been 'signed' by Nuneaton Town as the subject for the guys 'non league to legend' challenge, and was invited to the club before starting the game proper. I don't play FM anymore, but I'm very curious about how this series goes. Here's part 0, the preview when he visits the club for real, with the first proper video to come on Tuesday 

Up the Boro!!

For anyone that wants this and has a season ticket, they've added FM 2018 as a Pride Reward, use 1000 points to get a copy. Have no idea if this works out as a good deal but I don't know what else I would have used the points for... 

I pre-ordered the game but don't usually make the changeover until this time.

Where has the 2D view gone??

I noticed you can view the 3D game as 2D but it doesn't look as crisp as it used to and highlights are still in 3D. Alan Hutton has a full head of hair for christ sake.

I remember when Football Manager topics would have 20-50 pages in the first weeks of release. I think this game really only appeals to those aged 12-16 now. I miss the good old days when it was fun and I wasn't quoted 60m for an 18 year old playing in the reserves, whilst my decent prospect has bids of 2m and gets unsettled.

• Like 3

Â