Football Manager 2018

Villaphan04

if you think its complicated head on over to the steam workshop and download a couple of tactics or shortlists etc

after that go to the staff responsibilities tab and put everything on your assistant manager, just pick the squad and manage the match day tactics, thats more or less all i do

• Like 1

On 16/08/2017 at 16:54, TrentVilla said:

Think this will be the year I bow out having played it forever, just doesn't hold my attention any more.

I used to like building squads on the cheap, flogging people at their peaks and building clubs. The stuff above is right re transfers, it's taken the enjoyment out of the game for me, I find the game a little dull now.

It pains me to agree with TrentVilla. FM has had a hold over me since secondary school back when I X copied the first ever one on the Amiga I have had every one every year since. 

Kind of weird to think come release day I won't be there. Has always been a ritual for me to hermit up that very weekend , an annual event. Literally sat playing in the training gear for whatever club I would manage real geeky stuff I confess. Have confessed that before in prev FM thread. 

I consider myself an FM veteran then. Not an FM know it all, just an absolute fan. 

However , my game time has lessened recently and so I'm out of the FM pattern. 

Writing this, feels weird. Almost like I'm planning to dump a girlfriend. That's what FM sometimes is in a way! The time , the excuses. Anyway. 

So yeah I just read this post and I agree. I could think later in the year sod it and give in but... I've already decided I'm borderline giving it a miss. If I get the urge , I have unfinished business on FM2017 in two saves anyway. That, once you're in about 2030 etc and real players are virtually all retired then a new version won't grab me. For the first time it'll seem like a "data disk" if anyone remembers that phrase. And then it'll only be the new features that raise one of my eyebrows. 

I'll pop back in the thread when it's out and no doubt get jealous reading the posts but I dunno it feels weird breaking literally the habit of a lifetime. Without doubt, year on year though, that 30 quids spent is absolutely incredible value for the money and so rewarding. This isn't going to be an amicable break up. No tears but definitely a broken heart. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yup, I think this will be first one I don't get since about FM06 when I didn't have a laptop.

I lost interest with this years, I tried a few saves with different clubs and always struggled, it doesn't hold my attention anymore.

(I'll probably still get it)

I think that was my issue with the game as it got more complicated. I found it very difficult to do well on it.

I know there's a certain pleasure to be had by battling around the lower leagues, surviving relegation etc, but eventually you get bored if you can't succeed.

• Like 1

I tend to skip versions and I got FM2017 so won't be getting FM2018.

Interesting that I've always thought the same regarding transfers that many have put here - if the CPU makes an offer for my player and I reject it/ask for an obscene amount, the CPU team will end negotiations and the player will often become unhappy to the point of transfer requests etc.  Inevitably, I'll have to accept a lower offer or run the risk of letting them go for free at the end of their contract... because they refuse to sign a new one.

If I attempt the same on a CPU player, the CPU team asks for £340m, which I refuse to pay, and the player is fine.  Nothing happened.  Absolutely dandy.  They value him at £340m, but want to pay £20m for my £30m star striker.  Annoying as ****.

• Like 1

I used to love Champ Manager 2 (around 1996 was it?) but looking at the game now it appears massively complex and detailed. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the patience for it. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I used to love Champ Manager 2 (around 1996 was it?) but looking at the game now it appears massively complex and detailed. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have the patience for it. 

It's a lot better - and I do occasionally go back to CM96/97 as that game was amazing.  However, playing it now is mainly frustrating.  Stats don't correlate properly - it's all a bit random.

FM nowadays is certainly more detailed, but you can almost tune that down to whatever level you're after.  Personally, I tend to set tactics initially and then keep them... forever.  My team gets shaped around those.  But some people tweak tactics for individual players, game after game.  That's way too much for me.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2017 at 13:37, bobzy said:

It's a lot better - and I do occasionally go back to CM96/97 as that game was amazing.  However, playing it now is mainly frustrating.  Stats don't correlate properly - it's all a bit random.

FM nowadays is certainly more detailed, but you can almost tune that down to whatever level you're after.  Personally, I tend to set tactics initially and then keep them... forever.  My team gets shaped around those.  But some people tweak tactics for individual players, game after game.  That's way too much for me.

What I've found in more recent versions, those I've played briefly, is that the AI adapts to your tactics much quicker than previous versions.

So you can no longer have a tactic that suits everything and just use it forever as the AI will learn it and counter it.

Annoying really as I used to do exactly what you do. Find something that works and buy the players to suit it.

On ‎7‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 00:15, Stevo985 said:

I'll be purchasing this this year.

Haven't played a full FM game since 2013, and even then I only really dabbled in it. The overcomplication put me off.

I realise that might be a problem again this time, but I'm hoping some time away from it will have helped!

this is where I was at but decided to get fm17 a few weeks ago and gave my assistants the fun of doing pep talks, opposition analysis, press conferences and other 'lovely' add ons in recent versions so I can just manage the tactics and scout / buy / sell

On 9/8/2017 at 12:09, bobzy said:

I tend to skip versions and I got FM2017 so won't be getting FM2018.

Interesting that I've always thought the same regarding transfers that many have put here - if the CPU makes an offer for my player and I reject it/ask for an obscene amount, the CPU team will end negotiations and the player will often become unhappy to the point of transfer requests etc.  Inevitably, I'll have to accept a lower offer or run the risk of letting them go for free at the end of their contract... because they refuse to sign a new one.

If I attempt the same on a CPU player, the CPU team asks for £340m, which I refuse to pay, and the player is fine.  Nothing happened.  Absolutely dandy.  They value him at £340m, but want to pay £20m for my £30m star striker.  Annoying as ****.

Football Manager - Levy Edition

I hope they fix the way transfers work.

One thing that annoys me is how easy it is to get a player once you've tapped them up in the press.

Had Joao Carvalho on loan at Lazio and Benfica wanted £65m and 50% sell on fee.

His loan expires.

I Leak to the press that I want to sign him.

Make an enquiry which gets rejected.

Then wait.....

A week later he's kicking off, requests a transfer and I get him for £12m.

Did exactly the same with Frank Kessie. Got him for £17m when they wanted £72m

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from a brief dabble with FM13 I largely stopped with FM early on. Have been playing CM01/02 for the past couple of weeks with the updated database for current players and dates. It's good easy fun for a bit.

Anyway, reason for bump is this bizarre list of banned names:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/football-manager-the-full-list-of-banned-names-for-2018-game/r9xe0mclpwcn1rj0q2pwlcnzy

Football Manager 2018 is set to release on November 5, and with it comes a list of banned names that you will be unable to use as you pick your team to start the game.

From innuendos, to the very worst of society, the list is comprehensive and features a number of names that will be familiar to the UK public.

The likes of Jimmy Saville, the prolific convicted paedophile, Osama bin Laden, the mastermind behind the 9/11 atrocity in the USA and Oliver Cromwell, the anti-royalist, are all understandably outlawed.

Georgia vs Wales 06/10/2017 - 18:00

WHO WILL WIN?