• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

Just now, Eastie said:

Never liked warnock , however on reading his autobiography my opinion on him change a lot - one of the best books I've ever read . 

I like him, although he can come across an horrible clearing in the woods. Cardiff bully us when we play them and that's how I want us to be. I want us to be an horrible team to play against and to kick a few people up the arse when the ref ain't looking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

This is our problem.

The belief in some quarters that we could attract someone like Benitez.

When you have people seriously believing stuff like this it makes the job ten times harder for whoever we do hire.

Jeeez, speculating in a football speculation thread - HUGE problem for our club. 

3 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

I agree that none of our more recent managers have been able to build. Constraints and a basic lack of ability has meant that a project was out of reach.

That's why I desperately want to see a younger manager with his own football philosophy come in and lay down a progressive system that can be tweaked and improved (with the right minimal additions) over the next couple of seasons.

Bruce is clearly not a builder. He's recently proved that by buying half a team that will be too old to be part of any project that lasts more than a year or two.

Whether we agree or not....I think he brought in older players because he thought Experience was a major issue....that is now becoming questionable

I think your comments have validity....but I reiterate, there is a job of an immediate nature, that has a huge bearing on the future......don't get that right and there is no future for that builder.

I think if you go back in time and as an example Ron Saunders took over from Vic Crowe, who left a very decent legacy of young talent.....most of our previous managers have not had that luxury.

This is not a 5 minute job and whether Steve Bruce is here or anyone else the difficulties still remain.....Building is not easy, because while you are redesigning the house and that costs money, the bills still have to be paid.....we still have to get wins, while the development takes place....its tricky.

I know many want him gone and the claims are plentiful, but I will be very surprised if there is a Knight in shining armour coming to the rescue......we may get lucky.

I hope I am wrong because i am as frustrated and bored with it all just like most.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Good response TRO..

Are we with me in the 3rd Bracket then being our next manager needs to be one to build their own castle and not jist rebuild the bricks of the one currently crumbling.

We do need a very serious name.

I know I have been shot doen for continuous rafa rafa rafa plea's..

We need to set a stardards/sights to this calibre surely if it it is not rafa!

A lot of people would have said we we're also on smack if we told them we will get John Terry...

Nothing is impossible in football anymore.

Its all very well looking for a long term builder and nothing wrong with that but we need an impact manager to get us out of this league....first things must come first.

I thought he was that impact manager, but i do share Martin O'Connors views, I have doubts some of the players are good enough....perhaps a new manager may decide that.

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's unrealistic though, so when we go and hire Nigel Pearson it becomes underwhelming again and almost immediately sets if all off on a negative footing! 

Well yeah, it's not realistic, I agree, it was never intended to be anything other than a distant punt. But one can live in hope. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Well yeah, it's not realistic, I agree, it was never intended to be anything other than a distant punt. But one can live in hope. 

I get that mate, and honestly don't want to come across as some sad bstard picking on your posts but the sooner we, as a fanbase become self-aware and realistic we might just stand a chance of getting somewhere.

Off topic a little but I've been looking at the sides in the PL and looking at some of their players and I tried to imagine the response on here if we had signed them and I think in a lot of cases there'd have been uproar and yet, they're in the PL and we're scratching around near the bottom of the Championship.

The quicker we accept that we're not that big a club any more and have no right to be in the PL let alone challenging for trophies/top 4 the better, in my opinion.

17 hours ago, lexicon said:

Would you then bash the club for not having a replacement lined up if we were to sack Bruce? 

It's the way things work nowadays. 

I'd say they should have a plan for what to do, which should involve a short-term arrangement of having someone internal act up or else knowing a couple of stand-ins who might take it as a short-term contract, should have an idea of the shortlist they want to recruit from, and should know how they plan to handle recruitment, eg external advisers or not.

That would be very far removed from sacking someone and then wondering what to do next.

The idea that you go round lining up a permanent replacement before sacking the current one is not just poor as a principle, it's also likely to create a very poor atmosphere once it gets out, and may create an impression that the management are not to be trusted.

6 hours ago, mattjpa said:

Or the alternative is sack the manager, then start sounding out potential replacements, develop a shortlist, ask clubs for permission if candidates are already in work, interview candidates, second interview candidates, choose a manager, negotiate terms, offer a contract and get it signed. Then start planning for 2018-19 season as this one will be too far gone.

Who would want to be that club?

its a big bad world out there.... 

Nothing to do with "big bad world", shich implies you've got to be tough and competitive.

Have a contingency plan and activate it, and move quickly.

If you get yourself in the position where your appointment was so poor that you have to sack him a few games into the season, and your succession planning so inadequate that you don't know what to do other than act in bad faith and in an underhand way, that's not being the tough guy in a fierce world, it's making an arse of it.

48 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I get that mate, and honestly don't want to come across as some sad bstard picking on your posts but the sooner we, as a fanbase become self-aware and realistic we might just stand a chance of getting somewhere.

Off topic a little but I've been looking at the sides in the PL and looking at some of their players and I tried to imagine the response on here if we had signed them and I think in a lot of cases there'd have been uproar and yet, they're in the PL and we're scratching around near the bottom of the Championship.

The quicker we accept that we're not that big a club any more and have no right to be in the PL let alone challenging for trophies/top 4 the better, in my opinion.

Hey FWIW I've been banging that drum for a while, the Rafa big club thing was tongue in cheek but probably impossible to convey that in a few typed words. Moreover I think it's the expectation levels that are killing us and have for a while - directly linked to the big club mentality. We need a new guy in, give him lots of time and patience and develop an identity for this club. If we don't go up this year, then we may as well get comfy in this league, start from scratch and build something special like Saints did. 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Was welcomed back like a messiah by many when he left Newcastle for palace .

True, but much of that fondness dated back to his Palace playing days. I live near the ground and know a few of their fans, most of whom couldn't wait to get shot of him when it all started going wrong. He's not great at reversing bad runs, but more to the point, he has a bit of a reputation for being a total clearing in the woods. I once spent a train journey talking to a Geordie who used to drink with the players and he told me Pardew's exit from Newcastle actually had something to do with the close friendship he had with the wife of one of his players. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

True, but much of that fondness dated back to his Palace playing days. I live near the ground and know a few of their fans, most of whom couldn't wait to get shot of him when it all started going wrong. He's not great at reversing bad runs, but more to the point, he has a bit of a reputation for being a total clearing in the woods. I once spent a train journey talking to a Geordie who used to drink with the players and he told me Pardew's exit from Newcastle actually had something to do with the close friendship he had with the wife of one of his players. 

You know what they say about gossip ?

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I thought it was Pardews alleged gambling debts meant he needed a hefty pay day ?

guesd it could be both .... or neither