• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

10 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

I can't see a British manager that is available who fills me with confidence - I therefore hope we go abroad and identify someone with a specific attacking style.

Frank De Boer is available!

We need to be realistic though and now the cash has been spent and we are struggling with ffp there will be little to spend for whoever comes into the job - it's much less enticing than a year ago .

I think it will be moyes or pardew if bruce is sacked. Wouldn't mind pardew on a one year deal with view of extension if takes us up. He gets results short term and i think he despite what a lot people think is a big name on British football although a bit of a cock.

I cant see us paying compensation with ffp. 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

In terms of a our new managerial appointment in the near future..

- Is he just a plug the rott and stable the ship for now?

- Is he a come in and get us promotion if they can and leave come June?

- Is he someone who can build the club.. try for promotion and remain beyond june and for the next few years.

Bracket A.   Smith, Yorke,  esq.

Bracket B.   Allerdyce, Warnock, Garcia, Puel esq.

Bracket C.  Moyes, Benithez, Coleman, esq.

Thoughts please..

I think its difficult to think about the 10th fence on a race course when negotiating the 2nd.

I thought all our previous managers would be long term.

only their short term success that leads to medium term success can lead to long terms success......sadly they never got past short term.

its a building job and you have to build gradually your own castle and your own moat.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think its difficult to think about the 10th fence on a race course when negotiating the 2nd.

only their short term success that leads to medium term success can lead to long terms success.

its a building job and you have to build gradually your own castle.

Castle ? I wouldn't trust him to build a wooden shed ;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

If he comes or not, if this is the type of manager we are looking at, then it suggests the wheels of the villa engine will be put into motion and taking a big step away from Bruce style.

Garcia was looked before , when we recruited RDM - Don't think it means anything TBH. If Bruce goes in the near future I can't see past Pardew or Moyes. 

The concern with a manager like Smith is that we might face another Graham Turner situation where players ask him to show them his medals when he attempts to change things. I think Chris Wilder has a good track record but might face the same issues and others such as Warnock, Monk and Clough might well choose to stay at their current clubs rather than to move to us.  

If and when we do have a vacancy, I would anticipate that the good Doctor would look for a big name from abroad who would be prepared to ply his trade in the Championship (that list may not be a long one). I would guess that our owner is currently still loathe to face the cost of sacking another manager and his back room staff as well as starting from square one again. 

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Garcia was looked before , when we recruited RDM - Don't think it means anything TBH. If Bruce goes in the near future I can't see past Pardew or Moyes. 

That fills me with melancholy....but feasible.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, John said:

The concern with a manager like Smith is that we might face another Graham Turner situation where players ask him to show them his medals when he attempts to change things. I think Chris Wilder has a good track record but might face the same issues and others such as Warnock, Monk and Clough might well choose to stay at their current clubs rather than to move to us.  

If and when we do have a vacancy, I would anticipate that the good Doctor would look for a big name from abroad who would be prepared to ply his trade in the Championship (that list may not be a long one). I would guess that our owner is currently still loathe to face the cost of sacking another manager and his back room staff as well as starting from square one again. 

I think Warnock may have the the most profound impact on us and bully us in to promotion.....my worry is would he **** off the seniors?

Its just hard to tell, what the reaction of anyone would be.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

only their short term success that leads to medium term success can lead to long terms success......sadly they never got past short term.

its a building job and you have to build gradually your own castle and your own moat.

I agree that none of our more recent managers have been able to build. Constraints and a basic lack of ability has meant that a project was out of reach.

That's why I desperately want to see a younger manager with his own football philosophy come in and lay down a progressive system that can be tweaked and improved (with the right minimal additions) over the next couple of seasons.

Bruce is clearly not a builder. He's recently proved that by buying half a team that will be too old to be part of any project that lasts more than a year or two.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

Good response TRO..

Are we with me in the 3rd Bracket then being our next manager needs to be one to build their own castle and not jist rebuild the bricks of the one currently crumbling.

We do need a very serious name.

I know I have been shot doen for continuous rafa rafa rafa plea's..

We need to set a stardards/sights to this calibre surely if it it is not rafa!

A lot of people would have said we we're also on smack if we told them we will get John Terry...

Nothing is impossible in football anymore.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

25 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A lot of people would have said we we're also on smack if we told them we will get John Terry...

Yer know, that Rafa fella, he wants out of NUFC, Ashley wants him out too, but they are both waiting for someone to come and pay the compo - maybe just maybe with West Ham doing better lately Tony can free Rafa and sweet talk him into the villa job. Rafa loves a big club after all. 

41 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yer know, that Rafa fella, he wants out of NUFC, Ashley wants him out too, but they are both waiting for someone to come and pay the compo - maybe just maybe with West Ham doing better lately Tony can free Rafa and sweet talk him into the villa job. Rafa loves a big club after all. 

This is our problem.

The belief in some quarters that we could attract someone like Benitez.

When you have people seriously believing stuff like this it makes the job ten times harder for whoever we do hire.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Good response TRO..

Are we with me in the 3rd Bracket then being our next manager needs to be one to build their own castle and not jist rebuild the bricks of the one currently crumbling.

We do need a very serious name.

I know I have been shot doen for continuous rafa rafa rafa plea's..

We need to set a stardards/sights to this calibre surely if it it is not rafa!

I think nearly everyone here would love us to get Rafa - but it really is extremely unlikely that he would come here when all the money has been spent - I just don't see it as realistic . 

Maybe there are championship managers we could well attract here but I do not see any current premiership manager leaving his club to come to Aston villa . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

Very good points. I could see someone like terry being like that

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it will be moyes or pardew if bruce is sacked. Wouldn't mind pardew on a one year deal with view of extension if takes us up. He gets results short term and i think he despite what a lot people think is a big name on British football although a bit of a cock.

I cant see us paying compensation with ffp. 

I think you're right about Pardew, I personally can't stand the bloke, but he gets results for about 18 months. Not an inspiring choice, but probably a pragmatic appointment. Hang on that sounds familiar.....

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

I think nearly everyone here would love us to get Rafa - but it really is extremely unlikely that he would come here when all the money has been spent - I just don't see it as realistic . 

Maybe there are championship managers we could well attract here but I do not see any current premiership manager leaving his club to come to Aston villa . 

Technically we would be buying him though?

But yes.. whether HE wants the Villa jib is a different kettle of fish.

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'd like warnock, solely to knock a few of these fairies we have into shape. 

Never liked warnock , however on reading his autobiography my opinion on him change a lot - one of the best books I've ever read .