• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

It's interesting how football is....and shapes up.

it wasn't long ago that Neil warnock was put forward as a possibility as our next manager.....which resulted in an avalanche of laughter from quite a few posters on here.

how times change.

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

it wasn't long ago that Neil warnock was put forward as a possibility as our next manager.....which resulted in an avalanche of laughter from quite a few posters on here.

how times change.

Im sure if we put a poll up we would find out how little times have changed.

On 04/10/2017 at 13:00, TRO said:

how times change.

You say laughter, I think it was horror.

I think most people could see at this level he is a good manager, but they also thought he was a horrible little hate filled goblin who they wouldn’t want associated with the club.

You day times change but despite how well he has done at Cardiff Warnock has 4% of the vote in this thread.

So what’s changed?

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2017 at 22:33, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn't Watford sack the manager that got them promoted? Also Southampton were always planning on bringing Pochettino in regardless of what Atkins achieved. 

Its cruel but good forward thinking by the clubs. I hope Villa are already eyeing up our Premiership manager for when we return. 

I agree with this. And it's an approach I've backed for a while now.

It's why when people were moaning when we appointed Bruce that he wasn't good enough to get us into, say, the top 6 in the Prem I said it didn't matter.

The appointment of bruce was an appointment to get us out of the Championship and MAYBE have a year in the Prem keeping us in that league.

After that the manager should be evaluated to see if he's the right person to take us a step further. And if he isn't then we bring a new guy in.

I really hope that's the approach. I also hope the fact Bruce is on a rolling contract reflects that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

You say laughter, I think it was horror.

I think most people could see at this level he is a good manager, but they also thought he was a horrible little hate filled goblin who they wouldn’t want associated with the club.

You day times change but despite how well he has done at Cardiff Warnock has 4% of the vote in this thread.

So what’s changed?

But they are top.....its all some are concerned about.

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

But they are top.....its all some are concerned about.

I think that more the point is.

4% wanted/still wanted NW over the time that the vote has been open.

so nothing has changed in that respect. However, NW joined Cardiff around the same time as Bruce joined us.

Now if you "graphed" the table positions of the 2 clubs I think every villa fan would prefer the Cardiff curve in the graph. and therein lies the respect for NW and the job he is doing.

Some of the comments in support of Bruce are along the lines "so what if the hoofball is shyte - it gets results and thus promotion". Well if the deduction is as simple as that, then there is as much, if not more, logic to respecting and comparing the 2 managers achievements so far, so as the table never lies NW is indeed doing a better job.

Going by the league table, lets get him in then and complain about the turgid football that gets results.

IF results is all that matter, no matter how? who? or what? Bruce replaced by Warnock then we can start a whole new discussion once we are PL

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I think that more the point is.

4% wanted/still wanted NW over the time that the vote has been open.

so nothing has changed in that respect. However, NW joined Cardiff around the same time as Bruce joined us.

Now if you "graphed" the table positions of the 2 clubs I think every villa fan would prefer the Cardiff curve in the graph. and therein lies the respect for NW and the job he is doing.

Some of the comments in support of Bruce are along the lines "so what if the hoofball is shyte - it gets results and thus promotion". Well if the deduction is as simple as that, then there is as much, if not more, logic to respecting and comparing the 2 managers achievements so far, so as the table never lies NW is indeed doing a better job.

Going by the league table, lets get him in then and complain about the turgid football that gets results.

IF results is all that matter, no matter how? who? or what? Bruce replaced by Warnock then we can start a whole new discussion once we are PL

Where i am in agreement with you GH i would much prefer to be playing the better quality football to get our results....but bear in mind Cardiffs 1 goal against has currently equated to 5 points, such is the complexities of analysing in mid season.

there are far too many factors and variables to be making judgments so early in the season.

i understand the anxiety we put ourselves under to get out of this league, but we need to keep our nerve and take each game as it comes. even looking ahead at fixtures just adds to that anxiety.....If you look at any one game, we can win it....its all in our hands.

injuries, suspensions etc will have a bearing on all the teams challenging and thats where a bit of luck comes in.

i have never been under any illusions of the standard of manager, we have, but i think he is a safe pair of hands in terms of healing an ailing club and a decent guy in terms of personality.

There are better managers out there for what we are trying to evolve to, but our time will come......we need all our fans onside in our quest for promotion.....plus the fact, if he does get us up, he needs/ deserves the respect that goes with that achievement.

UTV

ps whatever happens at Wolves will not determine our season, one way or the other.

On 04/10/2017 at 13:00, TRO said:

how times change.

What players do we have to wrestle teams off the pitch, cheat, dive and act like thugs?

Just now, TRO said:

"some" being the operative word.

Think you are making strawman argument personally.

Some of the 4%/10 people that voted for him? Of whom you have no idea what their view was previously on Warnock.

Sorry, doesn’t really stack up.

11 minutes ago, Dick said:

What players do we have to wrestle teams off the pitch, cheat, dive and act like thugs?

don't shoot me....just being devils advocate.

but hey! a fair few of our opponents have been like that.

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Think you are making strawman argument personally.

Some of the 4%/10 people that voted for him? Of whom you have no idea what their view was previously on Warnock.

Sorry, doesn’t really stack up.

Well, I am not sure what to glean from the motives of the voters.....because 4%/ 10 votes voted for the current top of the league manager and 30.7% 69 votes went to the manager currently occupying 19th.

I do not favour either, but interesting IMO.

The point I was alluding to and was in my thoughts was how changeable football fortunes are and that can influence our opinions....mine included.

ps I think from a derisory position to 10 votes is a change for me.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Well, I am not sure what to glean from the motives of the voters.....because 4%/ 10 votes voted for the current top of the league manager and 30.7% 69 votes went to the manager currently occupying 19th.

I do not favour either, but interesting IMO.

The point I was alluding to and was in my thoughts was how changeable football fortunes are and that can influence our opinions....mine included.

ps I think from a derisory position to 10 votes is a change for me.

You are trying to demonstrate that football fortunes are changeable yet trying to do so in reference to supporters opinions, which aren’t the same although they are obviously linked. 

Yet you’ve picked an example which actually contradicts the point you are making because regardless of Warnock being top of the league I doubt he would get more votes now if we started a fresh pole.

Smith would almost certainly get less but would I’d wager still get more than Warnock. Because it isn’t just current performance people would vote on especially with someone like Warnock, while fans will always have a greater draw for a contender who is in effect one of them. 

• Like 1

This thread has now descended to

"It's not about a poll for a new manager but the need for a new poll to find out if a new poll would differ and to what/which degree from the original poll about a new manager - even though we are not getting a new manager (as its an International break - and we havent lost to Wolves yet!)"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

You are trying to demonstrate that football fortunes are changeable yet trying to do so in reference to supporters opinions, which aren’t the same although they are obviously linked. 

Yet you’ve picked an example which actually contradicts the point you are making because regardless of Warnock being top of the league I doubt he would get more votes now if we started a fresh pole.

Smith would almost certainly get less but would I’d wager still get more than Warnock. Because it isn’t just current performance people would vote on especially with someone like Warnock, while fans will always have a greater draw for a contender who is in effect one of them. 

I have told you my motives.....you are attempting to put words in to my mouth.

your point is valid, but it was not the motive.;)

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I have told you my motives.....you are attempting to put words in to my mouth.

your point is valid, but it was not the motive.;)

No I’m not.

But there is no vacancy and no realistic prospect of one opening up right now so this thread has run its course.

• Like 4