• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

It depends on what we want. If we want to get up this season, and not think about the future, then I think we should seriously consider Neil Warnock - as much as I dislike him. Look at what he has done at Cardiff ever since he was appointed. 39 matches, W18 D9 L12, 1.62 points per game. With a Cardiff side. 

Previous to that, he somehow managed to keep up Rotherham in the Championship thanks to an unbeaten run of 11 games. 16 matches, W6 D6 L4, beating the likes of Middlesbrough, Sheffield Wednesday and Brentford. No surprise that when he left, Rotherham were a complete and utter failure and finished bottom of the league. 

My point is, he has a bad reputation, he's not a very nice person and it would be a pretty ugly appointment. But, he's a damn effective manager and I think this squad would suit his style of football perfectly. 

1 minute ago, screwdriver said:

The only moment should we ditch Bruce is if a manager of Rafa Benetez calibre becomes available. If the job is too big for Steve Bruce there's no way on earth Dean Smith etc would cope.

Apart from the worlds top managers, the only other guy I would consider is Allardyce as he seems to have the huge ego neccessary to run this place, 

So let me get this straight, so I'm not misinterpreting your post. 

Given the fact that the "worlds top managers" are not going to rock up at B6. And the fact that big Sam has retiered. Are you saying that there is not another manager in world football that could do a better job than Steve Bruce?

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Not sure what the love in for Karanka is all about he really is an ultra negative manager.

He's also a moaning prick who constantly throws his toys out of the pram. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

I just don't think the likes of dean smith and gary rowet would be able to do any better than bruce.

But thats not what you said. You said you would only swap Bruce 'for the worlds top managers, or Big Sam'

8 minutes ago, av1 said:

So let me get this straight, so I'm not misinterpreting your post. 

Given the fact that the "worlds top managers" are not going to rock up at B6. And the fact that big Sam has retiered. Are you saying that there is not another manager in world football that could do a better job than Steve Bruce?

I think the point he is making is that people keep saying the job is too big for him and then in the same breath want someone who has only ever managed a small club for a short period. Who's to say they wouldn't crumble if someone like Bruce can't handle it?

I get the point. If Bruce can't do it then we need someone truly huge like Benitez. If Newcastle can get a Benitez why can't we?

• Like 2

Graham Potter Östersund.

Might be a year or 2 too early for him.

But much rather go for someone like him than for someone who is 5 -10 years past it.

We need someone who's a tactician and with meticulous attention to details.

A clear plan on how to play and who has a team with him to implement said plan.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I think the point he is making is that people keep saying the job is too big for him and then in the same breath want someone who has only ever managed a small club for a short period. Who's to say they wouldn't crumble if someone like Bruce can't handle it?

I don't really Bruce has crumbled because of the size of the club. I just think he's a crap manager. 

9 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I get the point. If Bruce can't do it then we need someone truly huge like Benitez. If Newcastle can get a Benitez why can't we?

I think its important to remember that Benitez did not join Newcastle as a championship club, he joined them in the PL. 

Whether he choose to stay out of loyalty. A genuine affection for the club, or even felt responsible for their relegation, who knows.

What i do know is Newcastle would not have attracted someone of Rafa's class after relegation. And neither will we. 

Luckily we don't need a "world class" manager to perform miracles. We have one of the strongest squads in the league. 

Edited by av1

2 hours ago, Nicho said:

We either need a massive personality or an ex player. Someone who knows the club and is willing to just go for it. 

We are just a dear in the headlights at the moment. 

Bring in Olof. Mandatory beards to make men of these millionaires. 

No we just need somebody who can coach and play reasonable football on a limited budget. 

• Like 2

Still think this is an exciting job for the right manager, we have a talented & mix squad of players. I am of the belief that the next manager needs to be for the long term, somebody who promotes youth and plays attacking/technical football - I believe the fans will get behind youth attempting to play the right way.  

• Like 2

Steve Bruce has been labelled a dinosaur and his football is hopelessly out of date. My concern is that Wyness and Round might also be struggling with out of date concepts about how football should be played. These are the guys who Dr T is going to have to trust to get the next managerial appointment right, and I worry whether they are up to the job.

In my opinion we have to be ruthless, and be prepared to upset a club by making an aggressive (expensive) move for a currently contracted manager. Jokanovic and Rodgers spring to mind. Dr T has to be creative with his RECON sponsorship in order to put a very strong financial package together to indicate to our target that AVFC are serious about a quick return to the Premier League.

It makes good financial sense to spend big on the right currently employed manager, if you weigh this expenditure against the wasted multi million pounds worth of talent that is being misused at Villa.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Steve Bruce has been labelled a dinosaur and his football is hopelessly out of date. My concern is that Wyness and Round might also be struggling with out of date concepts about how football should be played.

This is why I'm worried they might give kt Terry. 

Already on the books, considered a leader, old school, and would excite in some quarters. They would probably see it as a safe gamble if that makes sense?

I don't think it would work though. The whole appointment would be viewed as a chelsea audition, and come February we would may aswell change our name to chelsea reseves. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

This is why I'm worried they might give kt Terry. 

Already on the books, considered a leader, old school, and would excite in some quarters. They would probably see it as a safe gamble if that makes sense?

I don't think it would work though. The whole appointment would be viewed as a chelsea audition, and come February we would may aswell change our name to chelsea reseves. 

We need Terry at centre half having ridiculously sold Baker.  I think the earliest he could take the manager's job is when we mathematically can't get in the play offs.

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

I love Olof to bits, but I think the third tier club that he's managing attract crowds of less than a thousand spectators.

second tier, he was promoted from the third tier and is now top of the second.

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Steve Bruce has been labelled a dinosaur and his football is hopelessly out of date. My concern is that Wyness and Round might also be struggling with out of date concepts about how football should be played. These are the guys who Dr T is going to have to trust to get the next managerial appointment right, and I worry whether they are up to the job.

In my opinion we have to be ruthless, and be prepared to upset a club by making an aggressive (expensive) move for a currently contracted manager. Jokanovic and Rodgers spring to mind. Dr T has to be creative with his RECON sponsorship in order to put a very strong financial package together to indicate to our target that AVFC are serious about a quick return to the Premier League.

It makes good financial sense to spend big on the right currently employed manager, if you weigh this expenditure against the wasted multi million pounds worth of talent that is being misused at Villa.

Wish we had someone like the Old Southampton Director/team in place here.

Forget the name but he used to be mentioned on here quite a bit.

You are right, I'm not necessarily knocking Wyness etc but let's face it, they are from the older era of Football.

Whilst they know the basics, and fundamentals of football, and football clubs. Do they have the modern knowledge and type of progessive thinking we require in this day and age?

It might sound stupid but it wouldn't surprise me to see even Wolves overtake us, on current form.

1 hour ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Still think this is an exciting job for the right manager, we have a talented & mix squad of players. I am of the belief that the next manager needs to be for the long term, somebody who promotes youth and plays attacking/technical football - I believe the fans will get behind youth attempting to play the right way.  

I think it's a big job still that people want. I also think a large portion would see it as a poisoned chalice and it's a no win situation because it's promotion or failure and if you are promoted it was expected anyway.

i think this myth that fans will give youth time is nonsense, if results stayed the same fans would be on players backs just like now. Fans would criticise the board for not spending money and kids would be disheartened more so than established players. Younger fans want to see clubs spending, want to see named players come to their club.

• Like 1