• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

23 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yeah but apart from that...

Not sure, might potential new signings be tempted by the charm and sophistication of a lovely stroll around ethnically diverse Stratford? The planners have even done their best to restructure the area so there is clear divide between the haves and the have nots.

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Eastie said:

If it is clotet then I'd be happy with that - seems a very innovative modern thinking coach who has worked his way up - the next  Wagner in some ways ? 

Agreed.

I just did a bit of reading up on him and a number of things stand out; he has excellent English and is clearly intelligent, but more than that, you can tell he thinks about the game and his decisions are taken after careful consideration, rather than based on hunches after years of experience.

In other words, he feels the risk and trusts his judgement, rather than just trusting his judgement, as our current manager appears to some to do. 

The following section taken from a recent Guardian article exploring his career to date, including his relationship with Gary Monk and their success at Leeds in revitalising the club, was particularly interesting...

“When you look at the club we went into, it was a little bit broken and the team was not attached to the fanbase,” he says. “There had been too many changes and the club had lost that sense of competitiveness Leeds were famous for. The end product is that the fans got their team back, they saw that we had a real sense of stability among the staff and players and I think we gave back a better club than the one we took in the beginning."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/09/pep-clotet-oxford-united-challenge

It may be too big of a leap from Oxford to Villa, but he has lots of positive attributes and it is interesting that he and Tony have started following each other on Twitter, as this has often proved to be the start of something more serious in Tony's thinking.

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Like 1

Seems to tweet fans often on twitter too which is somewhat unusual for a manager but so does Garry monk . 

Clotet would be a risk but I guess anyone could be deemed a risk - he could just be the man to get this club back on the road to success. 

He was 7/4 for the Leeds job in the summer but just missed out . 

Edited by Eastie

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Seems to tweet fans often on twitter too which is somewhat unusual for a manager but so does Garry monk . 

Clotet would be a risk but I guess anyone could be deemed a risk - he could just be the man to get this club back on the road to success. 

A bit like our chairman with his tweeting, then! I know some on here don't like anything to do with social media, a little ironically perhaps given they are on Villa Talk, but I think there is something interesting about professional individuals who are open and communicate with their customers rather than treating them like irrelevant numbers on a spreadsheet. I think it shows the person cares about the job they are doing if they are also prepared to talk about that job and encourage debate. Tony may just see a kindred spirit.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I hate to indulge in Bruce ridicule outside of the Bruce thread, but the thought of Steve Bruce using Twitter really did make me chuckle. 

He would be constantly hitting the block button judging by his reaction  to crticism ;)

Edited by Eastie

Just now, a m ole said:

very interesting that Clotet and Xia have followed each other, would he leave Oxford after only a few games though?

Leave oxford for villa ? No brainier surely and he knows the division from his time at Leeds .

Just now, Eastie said:

Leave oxford for villa ? No brainier surely and he knows the division from his time at Leeds .

of course, but he seems a principled man. Chose to stay with Monk when under pressure when offered the Brentford no 1 position. He might see Oxford as a better place to develop as a manager and feel like he's earned a big job.

Just now, Jareth said:

I hate to indulge in Bruce ridicule outside of the Bruce thread, but the thought of Steve Bruce using Twitter really did make me chuckle. 

Gap in the market surely... Dinotwit... for the redundant, yesterday's man in a confusing modern world. Just press the potato icon for any number of automatically generated old school, honest to goodness, sayings your fans will just lap up.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

of course, but he seems a principled man. Chose to stay with Monk when under pressure when offered the Brentford no 1 position. He might see Oxford as a better place to develop as a manager and feel like he's earned a big job.

I wouldn't have thought so - I think a club like villa would be too much to turn down and I'd expect he has a releases clause in his contract as did Appleton before him . 

If he is as confident as he seems then he would surely back himself with a squad like ours at his disposal . 

27 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Gap in the market surely... Dinotwit... for the redundant, yesterday's man in a confusing modern world. Just press the potato icon for any number of automatically generated old school, honest to goodness, sayings your fans will just lap up.

#PotatoBot

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

London, Premier League, higher wages

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Yeah but apart from that...

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what is the lure of West Ham?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

#PotatoBot

" Amy! What does this mean? The boss just tweeted me this. :wave: #Brucexit. "

" Aww, Dad. I told you not to play three at the back."

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Pep Clotet is a student of football and a manager/coach who analyses every aspect of every game in order to improve a fraction at a time. looking to the future

Contrast that with Steve Bruce who gave up studying years ago and now seems incapable of grasping new ideas, and is repeatedly looking over his shoulder to his past for inspiration.

Clotet changes formation during a match because he's noticed an opposition full back is out of position, and he feels that his side could take advantage of that for a few minutes before the opposition adapt to counter his change.

Bruce stands there looking mystified and counters opposition by telling his players to "put their boots on". 

It's not rocket science .... it's tactics!

I'm not advocating Clotet as our next manager, but he's one of a new generation of pro active and tactically astute young managers who could improve Villa.

As I've said a few times now, it seems to me XIA will have been studying football himself, and admires intelligent managers.

His tweets, even such as the one with regards to Watfords Silva, indicate this.

We have to remember he came into this whole thing blind, I'm sure he is watching and analyzing everything.

I feel he will be relying less on Wyness etc in future, in the sense of, being confident enough to go against some of their decisions and put his 2 cents in.

If Tony doesn't get fed up and jump ship, or get totally screwed by the Chinese government, long term I think he will try his best to do right by us.

I genuinely don't think he is impressed by Bruce, and Bruces bollox he has been spouting about the fans, and emphasising "I've not had millions to spend" even without prompt won't have helped.

He actually followed Clotet weeks ago.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

Clotet also a strong man who takes no nonsense - he's had his bust ups with monk down the years and it will be interesting to see how monk manages without him this season . 

I don't think working with so called big name players would phase him in the slightest and tactically light years ahead of Bruce , he assisted laudrup originally and I have no doubt the football would be much better to watch .

Jokanovic would still be my first choice though but I'd be happy with clotet.

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1