• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

On 8/18/2017 at 20:08, KJT123 said:

If we're going to take a punt, rather than go down the tried and tested route, how about Pep Clotet? Former assistant manager to Monk at Leeds, and now the manager of Oxford United who have just made a flying start to League 1. 

The Dr has just followed Pep on Twitter :detect:

I used to work for OUFC and was there when he was appointed, the owner was blown away in his interview by his detailed approach to training and his plansfor how he wanted to play and what he expected from individual players and the team over the season. He had seriously done his homework on the club and players. They apparently spoke to Lampard also. I  believe he has a high release clause as they believe he will prove to be a star and won't be there long. 

15 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I used to work for OUFC and was there when he was appointed, the owner was blown away in his interview by his detailed approach to training and his plansfor how he wanted to play and what he expected from individual players and the team over the season. He had seriously done his homework on the club and players. They apparently spoke to Lampard also. I  believe he has a high release clause as they believe he will prove to be a star and won't be there long. 

Prefer jokanovic who has proved he can do the job at this level and has a release clause at Fulham I believe .

39 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

A few weeks ago people were saying the Norwich manager would be this seasons Wagner. Just goes to show there is always a big risk 

Only a few managers have that X factor - Wagner certainly does image-6-for-one-direction-cher-lloyd-and

• Haha 1

The new manager discussion is heavily colored by the view of the manager.  Any new manager is a risk.  The question is, if we have "a bird in the hand," then all options are too risky.  On the other hand, if we have a "turd in the hand."  then all sorts of risks are worth taking.  I don't think we're going up with the current manager, so I would be willing to take the risk on any number of the names floated here.

I like the idea of a young manager who made a huge name for himself as a player within the recent past.  (Including Olaf)  But I'm open to many names.  Not because I believe in taking risks, but because I belief we have no chance of going up with the current manager.

• Like 2

Ok dream scenario, the Noses continue to tumble and sack Dogs Best Friend Harry. Brucie get all nostalgic for his true love and crosses the great divide and successfully takes SHA out of the division in a downwards trajectory. We appoint Jokanovic and go unbeaten for the rest of the season with only 1 draw, the point is enough to keep Burton up and send the aforementioned SHA down by 1 point. 

Ok it's not a school night and so a little drinkie is in order, but you've got to admit, it's a lovely thought :D.

Edited by DaveAV1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

A few weeks ago people were saying the Norwich manager would be this seasons Wagner. Just goes to show there is always a big risk 

Or Eddie Howe as the next messiah.

5 games nil poit.

we need to calm our jets.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Or Eddie Howe as the next messiah.

5 games nil poit.

we need to calm our jets.

Eddie Howe who took Bournemouth to the premier league and has kept them there? Not sure thats a great example. 

People talk about Bruces 4 promotions, its worth remembering that sha and Hull are back in the championship. 

Chris Wilder.

16 years experience, has a habit of improving the teams he manages, and never been sacked.

With what he has got now, he is doing very well.

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

Eddie Howe who took Bournemouth to the premier league and has kept them there? Not sure thats a great example. 

People talk about Bruces 4 promotions, its worth remembering that sha and Hull are back in the championship. 

So perhaps they have poorer managers now;)

look my overall point is .....i believe fans look too much in to what managers do in a short window......there influence is over a much longer period.

Steve Bruce as an example can be appraised on so many fronts, but folk are rarely specific in their claims just the usual......shite, it covers a multitude of sins.

i was talking to a few stangers in a pub this evening.....villa fans ......and said some are calling for his head......ridiculous was the reaction.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was talking to a few stangers in a pub this evening.....villa fans ......and said some are calling for his head......ridiculous was the reaction.

I've been talking to a few thousand posters on a fans forum called VillaTalk....Villa fans. 

I said a few people still think Bruce is the right man.....ridiculous was the reaction ;)

I could be totally wrong, but I genuinely feel people who engage on the forum, and online in general are more involved/passionate Villa fans than the casual go down the pub every now and then to watch the Villa type fans.

Before anyone becomes Captain Obvious and mentions age relative to social media and online engagement etc, I am referring to it being the rule not the exception.

I have family and friends who "grew up by Villa park" and are "Villa through and through" who don't put half the heart, engagement or effort into Villa as I do, and I've been an overseas fan for near 25 years!

They mostly catch the news/banter with mates every now and then, will see "Bruce has only been here for so long" and "they are already calling for his head" etc on a broad base as a pose to knowing the intricate details.

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

So perhaps they have poorer managers now;)

look my overall point is .....i believe fans look too much in to what managers do in a short window......there influence is over a much longer period.

Steve Bruce as an example can be appraised on so many fronts, but folk are rarely specific in their claims just the usual......shite, it covers a multitude of sins.

i was talking to a few stangers in a pub this evening.....villa fans ......and said some are calling for his head......ridiculous was the reaction.

Well, if strangers in the pub think it, I must be wrong.  I'll change my view immediately. ;) 

• Like 1

For me now, if Bruce went I'd want Olof if we were going untested, Jokanovic if we were going for proven and someone who deserves a crack at taking a team up and keeping his job.