• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Because you failed to and couldn't?

What about the rest of your article?

Lol, how did I fail to? Did not think I had to. It's not rocket science.

Targeting a manger like Rafa Benitez is both unrealistic and unlikely for a plethora of reasons.

You spoke about people bringing up people like Warnock etc.

I pointed out that obviously people were bringing up names like that based on the reality of where we are.

I sarcastically put examples of managers and players which we would "ideally" want to give an example of why certain suggestions are non sensical.

Obviously nothing is impossible, but it's not that complicated to understand. lol

• Like 2

I think Benitez dropping to the championship was also a one-off, as he knew he had a good squad capable of getting promoted first time. Even if he left Newcastle, he would easily get a job at another Premier League club who sacks their manager early.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lol, how did I fail to? Did not think I had to. It's not rocket science.

Targeting a manger like Rafa Benitez is both unrealistic and unlikely for a plethora of reasons.

You spoke about people bringing up people like Warnock etc.

I pointed out that obviously people were bringing up names like that based on the reality of where we are.

I sarcastically put examples of managers and players which we would "ideally" want to give an example of why certain suggestions are non sensical.

Obviously nothing is impossible, but it's not that complicated to understand. lol

Would you agree that just quick fixes are the way forward.

Chop n change a manager every 12 months??

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

There are some managers who are good at this level but not at a higher level - if someone  got us up then as a premier club we would be able to attract a quality manager  maybe - watford seem to specialize in changing managers often and they still seem to thrive . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No, however I would agree that chopping the manager until we find 1 which can progress with the club, long term is.

Even better, would be putting a system into place where, we can survive with or without a "manager" so to speak.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

No, however I would agree that chopping the manager until we find 1 which can progress with the club, long term is.

Even better, would be putting a system into place where, we can survive with or without a "manager" so to speak.

That is what this current clown was supposed to do.

I don't know about you but I am bored of the chop n chnage merry go round now after 10 years.

I will maintain we need a major name manager who has atleast won an honour in his management career.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That is what this current clown was supposed to do.

I don't know about you but I am bored of the chop n chnage merry go round now after 10 years.

I will maintain we need a major name manager who has atleast won an honour in his management career.

RDM?

:trollface:

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, sidcowans21 said:

I think Benitez dropping to the championship was also a one-off, as he knew he had a good squad capable of getting promoted first time. Even if he left Newcastle, he would easily get a job at another Premier League club who sacks their manager early.

Yes, he joined Newcastle as a premier league club too. Literally zero chance of him leaving to join us. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Any chance you can do another poll with any new suggestions and Dean Smith involved? 

What new suggestions have been put forward, Jankovich, Yorke, Warnock, Allardyce, Paul Jewell, John Gregory, Brian Little, MON, Garde, Peter Taylor, Chris Coleman, Gordon Strachan, Brendan Rogers, Terry Venables, Kevin Keegan, Ian Taylor, Stan Collymore, Mellberg and Laursen, solksjaer, Christian Gross, klinsman, bob Bradley, Martinez, Garcia, poyet....

Any chance we can delete this thread until we actually are managerless? Leaves such a bitter taste that this thread remains highly active and has already reached 33 pages when Bruce is still in charge. 

• Like 2

The thing is though, it's passed the point of no return with Bruce. From hereon, wins will pacify at best, appease, but won't be enough to secure us promotion. The evidence is clear from our three league games with the many questions raised when we have no excuses for getting 1 point from 9. 

Maybe the players deserve a lot of the blame too. But, that also comes down to the ineffectiveness of a manager to either lose them, or not be able to get them firing. And it's mostly his squad too, so no excuses there. It is "harsh" to have a next manager thread before he's even been sacked but, I like many genuinely feel his time is over. And before / if Bruce ever gets sacked, it is interesting to see the consensus as things stand with regard to who could take over or who we would want. 

As for Benitez no chance. We are a massive step down for him, a risky one at that. Last year there was similar talk with Premier League Burnley's Sean Dyche which didn't have any realistic chance either. 

The squad we have is nowhere near a complete jigsaw puzzle for the next manager. However, with what we have we should be Playoff standard minimum in terms of expectation should a change occur, furthermore be playing like that as soon as possible as with each week going by, we are drifting further away. Early days yet but the signs are not encouraging. Losing / lost sections of the fan base and it won't be long before sections of the dressing room lose his support too, if that hasn't happened already. 

Change is due. It's a matter of time. Superficial wins they'll be if we get them as they won't come from consistent - Champions form all of a sudden, there's too much wrong with the ability / performance of the management team for that to happen. 

Sorry long post. 

• Like 1

Also, I respect the opinions of others and their wants for who the next manager would be in their eyes. Even if I disagree with them. 

Mine, Mellberg manager, Laursen assistant, or secondarily, Terry as player/ assistant manager. Yes, laugh away. However. My logic is this. 

The appointment of RDM didn't work. This, a man who (however it happened en route) was a Champions League Manager. Superb accolade. You'd think. Bad choice. 

The appointment of Bruce hasn't worked. A man, with several promotions and apparent "track record" but seemingly too old school and dinosaur taking us backward, stagnant at best. Not the right man.

Nkw for my choice. 

Mellberg, inexperienced yes. Only Bromma on CV. However. Having failed with the two managers above who make more sense than Mellberg in theory, what would Mellberg have in his corner, that would be worth the risk? 

Knows the club, despite it moving on since his time, deep down it's the same club. He is and will always be part of the tapestry. 

Progression. This is a man who will I'm sure manage a top division team in Europe in the near future and I don't think his career will go down the Solskjaer route. We could be the glove that fits. His career is on the up, minimal apprenticeship served, yes, but a promising candidate. He was a flawless captain and that carries forward for some, into management, the traits I mean.

Lionheart attitude. There's something infectious about Mellberg or his type of personality that we need. You could have all the experience of Steve Bruce and RDM and still not have a tenth of Mellbergs passion, work ethic. His organisation and drive. 

A risky appointment I don't disagree. However, one day, someone will take the job that actually gives a shit about this club, picks us up and drags us forward. Someone who learns from issues that emerge from our play and tweaks things to try to stamp it out. Someone progressive. Young. Hungry for success and as said, knows this club. Things like that also tie in to being a manager who feels the pulse of this club. 

Whatever people think of John Terry, he's here he is ours. A captain, like a manager on the pitch. We all remember that iconic photo of Terry on the touch line with RDM in the background... but Mellberg, a god level central defender with Terry available as captain? Well that fits too. I'm sure they'd have massive mutual respect and work well together. 

Some people believe in Jesus. I believe in Mellberg.

Yes whilst Bruce is in charge it is a thread about who we want, that's just my want above. Some will definitely think it is crazy but anybody here, who has ever been part of a selection panel or job interview panel, so frequently it is the case that the outside bet candidate, I mean the inexperienced one with all the fire and drive, many times over often proves to be the right choice. You just have to find the right one. 

I'm going back to my padded cell now :ph34r:

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 3

If we're going to take a punt, rather than go down the tried and tested route, how about Pep Clotet? Former assistant manager to Monk at Leeds, and now the manager of Oxford United who have just made a flying start to League 1. 

22 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why do people keep suggesting Benitez? Has he left Newcastle and I live under a rock?

He's still at Newcastle, I cannot attest to your location.  If you look up what do you see?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

Also, I respect the opinions of others and their wants for who the next manager would be in their eyes. Even if I disagree with them. 

Mine, Mellberg manager, Laursen assistant, or secondarily, Terry as player/ assistant manager. Yes, laugh away. However. My logic is this. 

The appointment of RDM didn't work. This, a man who (however it happened en route) was a Champions League Manager. Superb accolade. You'd think. Bad choice. 

The appointment of Bruce hasn't worked. A man, with several promotions and apparent "track record" but seemingly too old school and dinosaur taking us backward, stagnant at best. Not the right man.

Nkw for my choice. 

Mellberg, inexperienced yes. Only Bromma on CV. However. Having failed with the two managers above who make more sense than Mellberg in theory, what would Mellberg have in his corner, that would be worth the risk? 

Knows the club, despite it moving on since his time, deep down it's the same club. He is and will always be part of the tapestry. 

Progression. This is a man who will I'm sure manage a top division team in Europe in the near future and I don't think his career will go down the Solskjaer route. We could be the glove that fits. His career is on the up, minimal apprenticeship served, yes, but a promising candidate. He was a flawless captain and that carries forward for some, into management, the traits I mean.

Lionheart attitude. There's something infectious about Mellberg or his type of personality that we need. You could have all the experience of Steve Bruce and RDM and still not have a tenth of Mellbergs passion, work ethic. His organisation and drive. 

A risky appointment I don't disagree. However, one day, someone will take the job that actually gives a shit about this club, picks us up and drags us forward. Someone who learns from issues that emerge from our play and tweaks things to try to stamp it out. Someone progressive. Young. Hungry for success and as said, knows this club. Things like that also tie in to being a manager who feels the pulse of this club. 

Whatever people think of John Terry, he's here he is ours. A captain, like a manager on the pitch. We all remember that iconic photo of Terry on the touch line with RDM in the background... but Mellberg, a god level central defender with Terry available as captain? Well that fits too. I'm sure they'd have massive mutual respect and work well together. 

Some people believe in Jesus. I believe in Mellberg.

Yes whilst Bruce is in charge it is a thread about who we want, that's just my want above. Some will definitely think it is crazy but anybody here, who has ever been part of a selection panel or job interview panel, so frequently it is the case that the outside bet candidate, I mean the inexperienced one with all the fire and drive, many times over often proves to be the right choice. You just have to find the right one. 

I'm going back to my padded cell now :ph34r:

he has done a great job since taking over but think he needs a job at a bigger Scandinavian team before being looked at by Villa

48 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

If we're going to take a punt, rather than go down the tried and tested route, how about Pep Clotet? Former assistant manager to Monk at Leeds, and now the manager of Oxford United who have just made a flying start to League 1. 

Start bring the operative word. Let's not get too giddy now and make decisions we may regret, or another one in a long line of them were tend to make. Clotet looks promising. It's 3 games in though. That's all.