• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

Just now, villan_007 said:

You can say that about any manager we would be in for.

Maybe he doesn't want to go down the classic german manager route. 

Maybe he fancies the challenge of going for the league this yr then he is in the prem with a club owner he can progress with.

This is the level we need to aim for or we fade away into leeds territory 

I don't disagree but we are hamstrung by who will come. I wouldn't be against enquiring, obviously.

This is the conundrum with replacing a manager, who is actually available to us?

I voted Dean Smith, but I would like to give an honourable mention to Sheffield United's manager, Chris Wilder.

Chris Wilder is 50 years old, and has been in the managing game for 15 years. Although before Sheffield United, he managed relative minnows like Altheon, Halifax, Northampton, and Oxford United. Although small clubs, there is a pattern there of him building those teams up, getting them to perform above their potential, and leading them to win plastic trophies and promotions.

Last season Sheffield United were among the top favourites to earn promotion to the Championship, and he did his job by ensuring that was delivered. ( Sound like something we need?)

The down side? Villa would be a massive step up for him, but if he integrates the principles and fundamentals that have gotten him success so far, we might be pleasantly surprised. Also, Sheffield United is his boyhood club. He just got them promotion, and probably wants to see just how high he can take them, so chances are slim he is motivated by money or prestige.

Oh yes. If what is read to be believed, apparently he has never been sacked.

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

I don't disagree but we are hamstrung by who will come. I wouldn't be against enquiring, obviously.

This is the conundrum with replacing a manager, who is actually available to us?

It's a good point. We need his replacement to be better.

But are our hands already tied. Its a massive appointment.

• Like 1

I hope that whoever comes in will not have their only remit being to get promotion instantly, but instead be given time and space to implement their style. This rush we have been in was to be expected, and fair play to Tony for investing but maybe now we need to take our time. We'll be dependent on the RHMs and O'Hares next season anyway given the drop of income. 

• Like 1

The top half of that list is like asking if you want kicking in the left bollock, or the bottom half if you want kicking in the right bollock! 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I hope that whoever comes in will not have their only remit being to get promotion instantly, but instead be given time and space to implement their style. This rush we have been in was to be expected, and fair play to Tony for investing but maybe now we need to take our time. We'll be dependent on the RHMs and O'Hares next season anyway given the drop of income. 

A third season in this division would be an absolute disaster. We can't be dropping expectations after 2 games. 

We need a young modern progressive thinking manager in the mode of Klopp and Wagner. We need to give him time to change the whole theosis of our game. The process of which wont take one year. Its something we need to build so it sustainable. You can keep getting provem old style managers like Bruce,  Sam and so forth but we're just going to end up back at square one again. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A third season in this division would be an absolute disaster. We can't be dropping expectations after 2 games. 

At this point, after what 6 manager changes in the last few years, I honestly cannot see us attempting to short cut our way to success as being a viable ploy anymore. Expectations have dropped after 2 games, there is still time for Bruce to pull this around, but if the Bruce route (4 promotions to his name) turns out to be the wrong one, then we'd better get used to life in this division and get us a first team that plays the football we all want. That football will take time to develop and the last thing the new man needs is the relentless pressure to make us great again overnight.

• Like 1

Someone who actually has a clue and doesn’t delegate training to other people would be a start. Someone who coaches players hands on and has a set style of play even if takes a while to implement as quite frankly I’ve seen enough to suggest we aren’t going up as things stand with the way we laughably attempt to play football. 

• Like 2

Tim Sherwood seems to have the biggest backing on Twitter. Tbh I would actually be happy to see him back at Villa even though I do know that is mental. I just enjoyed the gung ho approach and the 'pashun'. Something just makes me believe that he'd have us tearing up the championship and Hogan would get like 35 goals...

Jeez that list is bad. Like choosing between various diseases. 

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think it's one of those names. 

I think we need people who know the club, who the fans can really rally behind and know what it's like to represent the club. 

I'd go for Little and Laursen. Laursen as manager, with little in there as an experienced guiding hand. Might not work, but it would unite the club for a start.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

What a loser mentality. Someone who can win football games and get us promoted. This season. 

It's a loser mentality because right now AVFC is a club of losers and has been for a while. Shall we keep doing the same thing over and over? Or try a different way? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Tim Sherwood seems to have the biggest backing on Twitter. Tbh I would actually be happy to see him back at Villa even though I do know that is mental. I just enjoyed the gung ho approach and the 'pashun'. Something just makes me believe that he'd have us tearing up the championship and Hogan would get like 35 goals...

Err absolute emphatic no from me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Err absolute emphatic no from me.

And this is the response I expected as well lol.

The only other option I like the sound of is Olof Mellberg. Why the hell not. He lost only one game last season and what do we have to lose right now...he could be our Zidane...

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Dean Smith. Knows how to get Hogan scoring. 

Dean smith makes a average Brentford team look great and times. I think he would be able to get this lot playing.

my only question mark with him is he a big enough character to manage the likes of terry a And gabby?

maybe giggs?