• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

My order (jonakovic would be top but I don't think we have a chance unfortunately)

1. Stam

2. Allardyce

3. Pardew

i like dean smith but I don't think he will be a big enough personality to deal with the likes of terry and gabby

3 hours ago, Warnock said:

Any chance we can delete this thread until we actually are managerless? Leaves such a bitter taste that this thread remains highly active and has already reached 33 pages when Bruce is still in charge. 

Bruce still being in charge is what is causing that bitter taste, not this thread. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Also, I respect the opinions of others and their wants for who the next manager would be in their eyes. Even if I disagree with them. 

Mine, Mellberg manager, Laursen assistant, or secondarily, Terry as player/ assistant manager. Yes, laugh away. However. My logic is this. 

The appointment of RDM didn't work. This, a man who (however it happened en route) was a Champions League Manager. Superb accolade. You'd think. Bad choice. 

The appointment of Bruce hasn't worked. A man, with several promotions and apparent "track record" but seemingly too old school and dinosaur taking us backward, stagnant at best. Not the right man.

Nkw for my choice. 

Mellberg, inexperienced yes. Only Bromma on CV. However. Having failed with the two managers above who make more sense than Mellberg in theory, what would Mellberg have in his corner, that would be worth the risk? 

Knows the club, despite it moving on since his time, deep down it's the same club. He is and will always be part of the tapestry. 

Progression. This is a man who will I'm sure manage a top division team in Europe in the near future and I don't think his career will go down the Solskjaer route. We could be the glove that fits. His career is on the up, minimal apprenticeship served, yes, but a promising candidate. He was a flawless captain and that carries forward for some, into management, the traits I mean.

Lionheart attitude. There's something infectious about Mellberg or his type of personality that we need. You could have all the experience of Steve Bruce and RDM and still not have a tenth of Mellbergs passion, work ethic. His organisation and drive. 

A risky appointment I don't disagree. However, one day, someone will take the job that actually gives a shit about this club, picks us up and drags us forward. Someone who learns from issues that emerge from our play and tweaks things to try to stamp it out. Someone progressive. Young. Hungry for success and as said, knows this club. Things like that also tie in to being a manager who feels the pulse of this club. 

Whatever people think of John Terry, he's here he is ours. A captain, like a manager on the pitch. We all remember that iconic photo of Terry on the touch line with RDM in the background... but Mellberg, a god level central defender with Terry available as captain? Well that fits too. I'm sure they'd have massive mutual respect and work well together. 

Some people believe in Jesus. I believe in Mellberg.

Yes whilst Bruce is in charge it is a thread about who we want, that's just my want above. Some will definitely think it is crazy but anybody here, who has ever been part of a selection panel or job interview panel, so frequently it is the case that the outside bet candidate, I mean the inexperienced one with all the fire and drive, many times over often proves to be the right choice. You just have to find the right one. 

I'm going back to my padded cell now :ph34r:

Lovely, impassioned post. But do you really want to hear the Mellberg out chants in 10 months time?  I'd give him a bit longer to get experience and for villa to sort itself out.

• Like 2

Just now, rubberman said:

Lovely, impassioned post. But do you really want to hear the Mellberg out chants in 10 months time?  I'd give him a bit longer to get experience and for villa to sort itself out.

Well said regarding the effective dilution of icony. That's the one thing that is a shame in football that icons can have their reputations tarnished by a bad stint at the helm. Many examples in history. 

However, I think if given the chance he would get a higher win ratio overall than RDM and Bruce and certainly not be worse. All opinion only. 

Maybe won't happen "this time" not that there's even a vacancy, but he will be manager in max 5-8 years at the most. Some players in our history, not many, some, have a destined path back to VP. Mellberg is one. Somebody that embodied not just the lion on the badge, but also as an individual, in his character something needing to be installed from the top-down in our club. Better, than what the no-cojones man currently at the helm could ever hope for. 

For the record I'm not Mellbergs agent nor his Stalker B)

worse candidates out there. Better candidates out there.

But after years of getting it wrong and all the BS on the pitch, off the pitch, one day a manager will come and unite all. There'll be minimal fanfare from "he", no promises, no big talk. Just someone who comes in and gets to work, accepts the squad they have, gets the best of them and lets the results do the talking. That's Mellberg. 

Still, interesting seeing others thoughts. Just my opinions above. 

Peace lads

I've made no secret in many posts that I get to max 3-4 games a season. Brummie exile. But what about all you lads that get to more games, our season ticket holders. What about the lad I read about on here today / yesterday who is taking his boy to only his second game... I feel sorry for that kid the way things are at the moment, what he will experience. 

I first went as a young kid with my sisters BF, crushed up against a bar in the Holte. Scary as every corner, people piled forward, the exhilarating craziness when we scored... incredible. Awe and excitement, then the Big Ron years when my parents allowed me to go unsupervised with school mates. How in my youth we knew we weren't going to win the league or every home match but we were entertained and got value for money. 

Next appointment needs to bring a, sorry don't know how best to put this, but a value for money factor. That, win lose or draw we go away at the final whistle at peace with what we saw, the opposite of the now. 

We know we won't win the premier league when we're up or even at this rate the Chanpionship but the next appointment hopefully gives us the above. Whoever that may be. 

About time we broke this effing curse on us. Just takes amongst many lesser factors, the right appointment. 

Last mention for Mellberg. Remember the old Batman series on telly. That spotlight thing with the bat silhouette shone into the sky? We should get a beard silhouette and shine it as far as Stockholm. SOS Mellberg! 

Although in saying that, judging by @theboyangel 's avatar, he might answer the call. But do you know what, fk it, here's a vote for The Boy Angel as our next manager as backup. This lad, can do NO worse than Bruce. 

Night lads

• Haha 1

Best choices - Ranieri, Hiddink, Bielsa, Allardyce, Pellegrini, Howe, Sanchez Flores, Pulis.

Worth considering - Heckingbottom, Guidolin, Laudrup, Warburton, Garcia, Van Gaal.

50/50 - Moyes, Lambert, O'Neil.

30/70 - Pardew.

Not for me - Karanka, Jokanovic, Warnock, Pearson, Rowett, Benitez, Rodgers, Coleman, Puel, Klinsmann, Hodgson.

Edited by Michael118