• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

And this is the response I expected as well lol.

The only other option I like the sound of is Olof Mellberg. Why the hell not. He lost only one game last season and what do we have to lose right now...he could be our Zidane...

I'd take him or Laursen, working with Little. 

People that have played and managed the club, at least they know what it takes. 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

By would Rodgers  leave Celtic where he is loved and has an easy life to come to to villa where ffp means he has no money to spend ?

If Rodgers has stilk has ambitions to manage a top club in England, getiing us up and keeping us there would surely be a greater achievement than winning another SPL title at Celtic? They will never get out of a CL group.

Alan Pardew would not be a bad shout I reckon that he could get us playing and scoring loads. Only issue is that he is not good at building a squad long term. 

Jokanovic for me should be the number one target BUT how does this affect the FFP situation?

Maybe he is enjoying winning trophies too much. Villa will never even get in the champions league let alone the group stages so really cant see Rodgers leaving Celtic for us

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Gotta be realistic I do agree but dr will not pay that esp with our financial situation. The same with the lines of warburton and stam. All have big compensation to be paid should they come.

if the dr could afford it jokanovic would be my number one choice

Given the depressing alternatives, I hope Xia can somehow make it work and find the money for Jokanovic. It's obvious he'll eventually go on to bigger things so we need to get him now. He could be our Wagner. We've already got the players to suit his style of play, so someone like him would find it easy to bring it all together. 

Although he signed a new contract a few months back, there are rumours that he's been unhappy with Fulham's transfer policy this summer, so we'd need to take advantage of this ASAP. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I wouldn't think managerial appointments would count towards it?

They would. 

If we have to pay off Bruce and potentially pay another club compo to take their manager, it would be more operating costs and add to the losses. 

Anything financial that affects the day to day, operational running of the club has an affect. 

• Like 1

in my opinion no one who is doing well at their club in england is going to join us at this stage of the season, especially the likes of Warburton who have only just taken on a role.

My mate and I were discussing this subject earlier. There is no clear name there, so outside of giving it to Terry, we may as well go for someone to unite the fans as one. Mellberg is that man. It's probably too early for him, but we've tried everything else. We've got the experienced manager, we've tried the foreign, we've tried a couple of upcoming, one who had success and one who had done youth teams and yet we still can't find success. So let's go for someone who loves the club. Get the coaches he wants (as I said yesterday when was the last time we did that fully, Lambert when he first started?)

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If you gave me the choice of signing a player for 5m or getting jokanovic I'd take the manager every time. He is a top manager and what he could do with this team is frightening with attacking content

100%. Whatever we have left in kitty should go towards getting the right manager. 

Bruce could spend another £20m and have us playing sh#t football in mid table.

Spend £5m on decent manager and he may very well get this squad promoted without further additions. 

Edited by av1

2 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I honestly think Remi Garde would do a good job with the squad we have. You could always see he was trying to get us to play some nice passing football but he just didn't have the players or the support to do so. Was disappointed when he left but understood completely. 

I agree. I really wouldn't have minded if we had kept Garde on when Tony took over.

3 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I honestly think Remi Garde would do a good job with the squad we have. You could always see he was trying to get us to play some nice passing football but he just didn't have the players or the support to do so. Was disappointed when he left but understood completely. 

I'd take Garde back. He was dealt the worst hand in our history. I don't know if many people would begrudge him a second chance.

having said that if this club rang him I'm sure he'd just burst out laughing and hang up.

• Like 3

The only moment should we ditch Bruce is if a manager of Rafa Benetez calibre becomes available. If the job is too big for Steve Bruce there's no way on earth Dean Smith etc would cope.

Apart from the worlds top managers, the only other guy I would consider is Allardyce as he seems to have the huge ego neccessary to run this place, but I'm sure his football acheievments are pretty much on a par with Bruce's.

• Like 1

Paulo Sousa would be an ambitious target.

Don't trust the people who are handling the recruitment.

We'll probably end up with Moyes, Giggs or some old school journeyman who like proper men and waves his arms a lot.

Xia needs to have a hard look on his football people and preferably replace them.

• Like 1