• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

3 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Warburton.

Would be my choice. Due to his background he thinks a bit more outside the box than many managers.

Did a great job at Brentford and is slowly turning Forest around. Plays good football and nurtures young players.

Dosen't Jokanovic's contract run out at the end of the season? I agree with the point we've wasted so much on mediocre players we surely won't blink at spending 2-3m on buying a managers contract out as long term that could be a far more beneficial move.

• Like 1

Unless we can poach a tactically sound, progressive manager (British or not, I don't care) I would honestly consider Olof. With the options available currently out of contract, I'd much prefer making it a project with him than be in the same situation a year from now with a Moyes or Pardew

• Like 1

In terms of names I don't have a clue. What I do think is that this club offers a unique challenge that not many managers will have experienced. I thought Bruce with all his experience would be ideal but I think he has struggled with us being the big fish in the smaller pond.

If we were to say go for Dean Smith he has managed Walsall and Brentford. Of course all managerial jobs come with pressure but nothing at those clubs would have prepared him for the pressure of managing Aston Villa in the Championship. At the moment we are the biggest club in this division. Other teams are still desperate to take our scalp and our fans have huge expectations. In this league we are the equivalent of a Chelsea/Man Utd/Man City in the Prem league. Those clubs don't go for a manager who has done well managing Bournemouth, Watford, Stoke, Burnley. They go for managers who have managed big clubs and know how to handle that expectation and how to get players to handle it.

The longer we are in this league then that big fish in a small pond aura will wear off but for now it is still there. I think we therefore need a manager who has shown he can manage, embrace and thrive on the pressure of being at a club with big expectations and be successful at a big club relative to the league they are playing in. We need someone to come in that can have us playing with a bit of arrogance, instill belief into players so that they can handle the pressure that comes with playing for us, can play their natural games and are prepared that opposing players will raise their games against us and that the first thing we have to do is match them in terms of effort. We have too many players at the moment who have looked very good at other clubs but have gone into their shells here. We need someone who can inspire them and bring the best out in them.

I honestly don't know who would be attainable who would meet the above criteria. I do think though we'd be taking a huge risk going for the likes of Dean Smith or any manager who has done well at smaller clubs.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

In terms of names I don't have a clue. What I do think is that this club offers a unique challenge that not many managers will have experienced. I thought Bruce with all his experience would be ideal but I think he has struggled with us being the big fish in the smaller pond.

If we were to say go for Dean Smith he has managed Walsall and Brentford. Of course all managerial jobs come with pressure but nothing at those clubs would have prepared him for the pressure of managing Aston Villa in the Championship. At the moment we are the biggest club in this division. Other teams are still desperate to take our scalp and our fans have huge expectations. In this league we are the equivalent of a Chelsea/Man Utd/Man City in the Prem league. Those clubs don't go for a manager who has done well managing Bournemouth, Watford, Stoke, Burnley. They go for managers who have managed big clubs and know how to handle that expectation and how to get players to handle it.

The longer we are in this league then that big fish in a small pond aura will wear off but for now it is still there. I think we therefore need a manager who has shown he can manage, embrace and thrive on the pressure of being at a club with big expectations and be successful at a big club relative to the league they are playing in. We need someone to come in that can have us playing with a bit of arrogance, instill belief into players so that they can handle the pressure that comes with playing for us, can play their natural games and are prepared that opposing players will raise their games against us and that the first thing we have to do is match them in terms of effort. We have too many players at the moment who have looked very good at other clubs but have gone into their shells here. We need someone who can inspire them and bring the best out in them.

I honestly don't know who would be attainable who would meet the above criteria. I do think though we'd be taking a huge risk going for the likes of Dean Smith or any manager who has done well at smaller clubs.

But one would argue both Bruce and RDM should be able to handle the pressure due to their careers...

Agree with the big club comment though. We are a scalp to any team in this division (like Man Utd of the 2000's) teams give that extra 10-15% to bear t use and we need to handle that.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Any managers been tearing it up on the continent? Any of the Laudrops free or de boers? What about that Garcia bloke, did well at Brighton and Watford, arguably he got Watford into the premier league. 

He's at St.Etienne now. He managed Watford for 2 weeks. Jokanovic took them up.

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

If jokanovic can be got for £5m then we should do it   - better option than those above.

Gotta be realistic I do agree but dr will not pay that esp with our financial situation. The same with the lines of warburton and stam. All have big compensation to be paid should they come.

if the dr could afford it jokanovic would be my number one choice

6 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

If he does a job here i dont care what happens in 2 yrs 

Why would he move from a settled job where he's already got the attention of those top teams to come to Villa with a good chance of damaging his career?

Never going to happen.

As I'm coming to terms with yet another bloody manager change, I wish to be greedy and now join those demanding sexy football and an actual set of tactics which change dependent on the opposition and sometimes within games. I shall also join them in that they know not who that is or could be. SOS. 

13 minutes ago, birdistheword said:

But one would argue both Bruce and RDM should be able to handle the pressure due to their careers...

Agree with the big club comment though. We are a scalp to any team in this division (like Man Utd of the 2000's) teams give that extra 10-15% to bear t use and we need to handle that.

In terms of their playing careers then yes. Di Matteo though aside from his few months managing Chelsea, with his influence there disputed, hadn't experienced managing the huge club relative to the division they were in. Likewise Bruce had played for the biggest club but had no experience of managing one. Managing Wigan, Hull, Blues even Sunderland is not like managing Aston Villa in the championship and the expectation that comes with that. I genuinely thought he could handle it but given how he appeared in his interview yesterday I think he is wilting under the pressure and looks lost.

Someone has just mentioned Rodgers. He has managed clubs with huge expectations and has experience of this division and getting out of it. Maybe he isn't a bad shout.

• Like 1

We either need a massive personality or an ex player. Someone who knows the club and is willing to just go for it. 

We are just a dear in the headlights at the moment. 

Bring in Olof. Mandatory beards to make men of these millionaires. 

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Why would he move from a settled job where he's already got the attention of those top teams to come to Villa with a good chance of damaging his career?

Never going to happen.

You can say that about any manager we would be in for.

Maybe he doesn't want to go down the classic german manager route. 

Maybe he fancies the challenge of going for the league this yr then he is in the prem with a club owner he can progress with.

This is the level we need to aim for or we fade away into leeds territory 

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

In terms of their playing careers then yes. Di Matteo though aside from his few months managing Chelsea, with his influence there disputed, hadn't experienced managing the huge club relative to the division they were in. Likewise Bruce had played for the biggest club but had no experience of managing one. Managing Wigan, Hull, Blues even Sunderland is not like managing Aston Villa in the championship and the expectation that comes with that. I genuinely thought he could handle it but given how he appeared in his interview yesterday I think he is wilting under the pressure and looks lost.

Someone has just mentioned Rodgers. He has managed clubs with huge expectations and has experience of this division and getting out of it. Maybe he isn't a bad shout.

His press conferences are concerning because it looks like he can't handle the pressure. 

No chance Rodgers leaves Celtic to come to us.