Villa Classics

Don_Simon

Many of the aforementioned games had more significance, more profile and coverage but the one that always sticks in my mind was a midweek home game against Sheff Weds, we won 3-2, it was my 14th (I think) birthday and my old man had taken me (from Newport, South Wales).

I was wished a happy birthday on the tannoy at half time whilst stood on the Holte and my favourite player at the time scored what I think turned out to be the winning goal (Townsend).

A certain Regi Blinker also scored on his debut for Wednesday.

• Like 1

This is a well trodden path, and we've had many of these threads over the years (not to say I don't enjoy them). I think the obvious games will all get a mention. For the older guys, Bournemouth in the 3rd Division, Man U in the League Cup semi, Everton in 77, Barca 2-2, Rotterdam, Super Cup final, Inter x 2, Tranmere, Leeds in 96, etc etc. Most recently though, the FA Cup semi was as enjoyable a Villa moment as I can recall. Brilliant day from start to finish, a victory against Liverpool, and Slippy G (ruining his birthday, and the media hard on for him), and the feeling that when the Villa are good, there's probably nothing better in the world.    

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'll go with the 2-2 with Barça. We'd have won the away leg (and the tie), too, if He-Who-Walks-On-Water hadn't got injured. 

I was born in 1974 so before my time but from what I read about this game didn't Cruyff run the show till he was subbed? We scored both our goals after he left the pitch to a standing ovation?  Was Brian Little playing in this game?

Refreshing thread.

For me the lge cup final of 94 was a great game and one that stands out.

The other one was our 96' lge cup final v Leeds.

I was getting pelters at school on the friday by all the Leeds fans saying Villa where going to be demolished.

Nice to see the Monday after the game I never heard a peep from them that day, or as much even seen them.

All great memories.  :thumb:

Another from the league winning season was the 2-0 against Liverpool, who were champions at the time. Packed ground, good game - 2 really good sides. I remember the walk from Aston Station, the queues to get in to the Holte... Dennis running towards us, second half, and the realisation he was clean through....then getting hugged so I could hardly breathe by some massive bloke stood next to the teenage me. And also Dalglish lashing one just over down the far end, and same bloke going "Jimmy had it covered" (he didn't, not by a million miles).

Happy days :)

• Like 1

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned, the Tranmere and Inter games at home.  However, supporting the Villa during big Ron's time has to be my favourite period to date.   Big Ron's first game and I was there with my dad, such a special day.  I could have cried when Staunton scored at the death.   Beating Liverpool at home when Saunders scored two on his home debut.  The cup final win v Man Utd of course and a real stand out away game for me was beating Spurs 5-2 away in April 1992.  I was 17 years old and my dad surprised me with two tickets the night before.  Two nil down then Regis, Daley and Yorke tore Spurs a new one with some fantastic interplay and goals.  Great time to be a fan.   

On 11/08/2017 at 08:56, hippo said:

Thats one up there - I must admit

Drawing 2-2 with barcelona - after being 2-0 down with 8 to go.

Drawing 2-2 with qpr in the league cup semi final 1977

Beating blues 5-1 - always good to beat the noses but this was such a complete team performance.

Beating Bradford 1-0 in the 1987/8 promotion campaign - weird game - it was as though the holte won the game on sheer willpower.... 

The only game of those listed above I managed to get to was the 2 -2 with qpr in the 1977 semi final second leg......a great game 48000 and the announcement that the Holte end was now full and gates were closed to prevent anymore in..........that was a rare occasion (all standing in them days)

Strange how these games all come back like it was only yesterday isnt it?

I did have the pleasure of meeting one of my hereos for the first time before the Brentford game, Sir Brian Little, shook is hand, and told him that I saw him scoring a hat trick against QPR in the 1977 replay at Arsenals old ground (the library). He said "oh I remember that!"......not washed my hand since......Brian Little a true gentleman and Villa legend....with a bit less hair now.

VTID

Del

• Like 1

On 19/09/2017 at 18:48, ferguson1 said:

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned, the Tranmere and Inter games at home.  However, supporting the Villa during big Ron's time has to be my favourite period to date.   Big Ron's first game and I was there with my dad, such a special day.  I could have cried when Staunton scored at the death.   Beating Liverpool at home when Saunders scored two on his home debut.  The cup final win v Man Utd of course and a real stand out away game for me was beating Spurs 5-2 away in April 1992.  I was 17 years old and my dad surprised me with two tickets the night before.  Two nil down then Regis, Daley and Yorke tore Spurs a new one with some fantastic interplay and goals.  Great time to be a fan.   

I'm old enough to remember the title winning side - however for me watching Big Rons teams play also represented my best period of watching the villa - it was pure entertainment. I'd love to shake his hand and say thank you.

Villa 4- Baggies 3 was a classic - I think Ormsby scored in this game?

• Like 1

This one for me is one of my favourite days a Villa Park. I was 12/13 and had friends at school who were Liverpool fans from Brum and were always going on about them so I HATED Liverpool… I hated the team, I hated that stupid kit with the giant stripes, I hated Ronnie Rosenthal (I think he'd dived under a challenge from God to win a penalty against us at some point around this time) and I hated that Mark Walters scored for them and celebrated in front of us! 

For us to go on and win 4-2 was good enough but Deano scoring two made it even better. Plus the extra special highlight was that amazing Ronnie Rosenthal open goal miss… I remember the whole of Villa Park laughing so hard at him, it was bliss! :)

• Like 2

On 19/09/2017 at 18:28, blandy said:

Another from the league winning season was the 2-0 against Liverpool, who were champions at the time. Packed ground, good game - 2 really good sides. I remember the walk from Aston Station, the queues to get in to the Holte... Dennis running towards us, second half, and the realisation he was clean through....then getting hugged so I could hardly breathe by some massive bloke stood next to the teenage me. And also Dalglish lashing one just over down the far end, and same bloke going "Jimmy had it covered" (he didn't, not by a million miles).

Happy days :)

Yeah quality - that game was the turning point, Liverpool were still big guns and widley tipped to make a charge for the title. 

When that second goal went in - I thought   "f...n hell we might actually win the league......." 

• Like 2

On 12/08/2017 at 15:40, Midfielder said:

Also sorry just got to throw one last one in. I could live for the rest of my life stuck in a Groundhog Day spanning the latter Ron times and Brian Little times

this match needs little introduction. But what it meant for me, around that time was in my mid teens, life was a sort of unknown quantity at that time but football a constant. I  was so in love with this club back then that watching some replay like this just brings so much back. Damn , life goes so quickly, this is as vivid as a yesterday for me.

Damn that's really got to me o:rolleyes:ne day, these times will come to VP again. For the club, I wouldn't want it to be the Man City / Chelsea way but somehow "our way" when one day we have an identity / trusted formation / settled squad and staff. We will know what our way is too one day. Personally I'd like it to be a blend of 

Iceland in the Euros 75% - who were like a fearless spaniel pup biting chunks off staffies and alsatians impetuously 

millwall 1% - and by that I mean only one thing. They have a phrase: 'no one likes us we don't care' and forget the obvious negatives about them but I mean their almost Wimbledon crazy gang plain just not giving a F , a bit like Iceland but with slight swagger of arrogance. 

Leaving 24 random per cent for hopefully some nice quick passing and retaining old school Liverpool style ,Pass and move, get forward... lose it? Get back and get that ball back asap repeat. With some in built Leicester / Ranieri

Anyway. On a tangent. But my point is, our spell there say 94 ish was magical. Football has moved on so much since. The cartel elite, ok were interrupted by Leicester but we have so many mountains to climb to even think just with Tony's wealth and ambition we could ever be one of the big boys again. So much so that all that BS about ah they can't take the memories off you. I love my memories of the old days and while I was 3 years old at the time of our greatest achievement, fair play to the lads on here who were around for it. Envy that. 

Oh and one random point is... you look at the young uns these days and the "sexy" teams like Chelsea Man City united, and it makes it even more special that kids support villa as they do. By that, I mean our sheer lack of success over the years. It'll come one day you skinny jeans wax-haired hipster millenials you! 

Ron A's face after that penalty

Stark contrast to this season eh?

• Haha 1

On 11/08/2017 at 14:27, tismyk said:

There is only one for me, Aston Villa 2 Manchester United 1 - December 23, 1970 League Cup semi final second leg at VP

3rd Division Villa beat the best team in Europe to get thru to the League Cup final, beating a team containing the likes of

Bobby Charlton, Alex Stepney, Nobby Stiles,  Dennis Law, Brian Kidd, and George Best 62,500 attendance 28,500 on the

mighty Holte End, a  noise like you have never heard before or will ever again at a football match, and you get up the next

day and its Xmas eve, if Carling ever made football matches,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I was there, squashed against the back of the right concrete cut-out (looking at the Holte-End from the pitch). I was 8yo, I loved the Villa and George Best (via Motd) was my favourite footballer.

We beat them and I just couldnt believe it. Surely the greatest atmo at Villa park in my lifetime.

• Like 2

Â