Villa Classics

Don_Simon

So whilst packing my bag last night for a sneaky trip to Romania today, I opened a beer, or four, and I watched on YouTube my favourite ever Villa match. In all its glory.

1994 Coca Cola Cup 2nd leg semi final against Tranmere. 

It's incredible. The noise from the stadium, the players we had, the complete drama. It was a little emotional too, watching Ugo and DalIan on the pitch. Big Ron too, full of swagger.

Then the there's the less discussed heroes like Earl Barret, Kevin Richardson and Shaun Teale. Bozzie with the penalties, (quite how he avoided a red card I'll never know!) God of course is beyond hero status. 

So, I'm curious. What's your favourite Villa game? Perhaps we could include some links so we can catch up on the best of Villa times whilst the current time is in a slight lull...

• Like 3

Thats one up there - I must admit

Drawing 2-2 with barcelona - after being 2-0 down with 8 to go.

Drawing 2-2 with qpr in the league cup semi final 1977

Beating blues 5-1 - always good to beat the noses but this was such a complete team performance.

Beating Bradford 1-0 in the 1987/8 promotion campaign - weird game - it was as though the holte won the game on sheer willpower.... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tismyk said:

There is only one for me, Aston Villa 2 Manchester United 1 - December 23, 1970 League Cup semi final second leg at VP

3rd Division Villa beat the best team in Europe to get thru to the League Cup final, beating a team containing the likes of

Bobby Charlton, Alex Stepney, Nobby Stiles,  Dennis Law, Brian Kidd, and George Best 62,500 attendance 28,500 on the

mighty Holte End, a  noise like you have never heard before or will ever again at a football match, and you get up the next

day and its Xmas eve

sounds awesome

however, 

, if Carling ever made football matches,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

we'd all be watching tennis :P ( i hate carling! )

Edited by Rodders

Villa 5 Liverpool 1 in 1976 was my best first half. Best game too many to pick just one other than the 82 final for its importance. I would also offer the 1970 LCSF Villa 2 Manchester United 1, the 1977 LCSF (R) Villa 3 QPR 0, the 1977 LCF (R2) Villa 3 Everton 2, the 1994 LCF Villa 3 Manchester United 1, the FA Cup SF Villa 2 Liverpool 1, D1 1980 Villa 3 Small Heath 0, D1 1981 Villa 2 Liverpool 0 & D3 1972 Villa 2 Bournemouth 1 from what would be my long list.   

• Like 3

94 League final form me too. But to add another I loved; 1-1 away at OT when Stan scored this goal 

and gave us a sniff at the title in the first ever PL. 

And then the Inter Milan game in the UEFA in 94/95. Amazing atmosphere. Watched it back on a dodgy VHS so many times! Loved that team, the kit, the exotic opposition. Parker was a favorite of mine, but Fashinu and Whittingham intrigued me!

• Like 1

Tranmere definitely. Cup Finals certainly. But none of those I saw in person.

So as a 16/17 year old travelling to matches an hour and a half away by myself (as all my mates were Liverpool/Man Utd fans) I remember going to my first European tie against some random team I'd never heard of.

It started appallingly. 2-0 down with 7 minutes left...

Other notable games have to be 'Merson's Everton winner' and 'Young's Everton winner' games. Oh and definitely that Boxing Day turn around against Arsenal - you know the one where Santa tried to kill himself...

Barcelona in 78 was great as cruyff was my hero but the Liverpool 5-1 game in 76-77 season was outstanding.all the goals in the 1st half and playing the best team in Europe at the time off the park.a night game as well which made it perfect as they always seemed to have the best atmosphere for me somehow.1-0 against albion in 81 was another for me.not the best game but when the goal went in you could hear the cheer for miles.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

So whilst packing my bag last night for a sneaky trip to Romania today, I opened a beer, or four, and I watched on YouTube my favourite ever Villa match. In all its glory.

1994 Coca Cola Cup 2nd leg semi final against Tranmere. 

It's incredible. The noise from the stadium, the players we had, the complete drama. It was a little emotional too, watching Ugo and DalIan on the pitch. Big Ron too, full of swagger.

Then the there's the less discussed heroes like Earl Barret, Kevin Richardson and Shaun Teale. Bozzie with the penalties, (quite how he avoided a red card I'll never know!) God of course is beyond hero status. 

So, I'm curious. What's your favourite Villa game? Perhaps we could include some links so we can catch up on the best of Villa times whilst the current time is in a slight lull...

Snap but tied with the final. You're right though that game was mental. In all my years supporting Villa those two matches were truly euphoric. Do you remember after the game all the traffic, cars non stop horning victory horns. Me as a 15 year old on the longest number 7 bus trip back into town ever that day, squished into the luggage bit, chanting and singing with my mates led by blokes in their 40/50s who were elated almost to tears, the happiest they'd ever been in their lives. Was literally like a happy non-violent riot. Then hours later at home, being sat in and still hearing cars driving around doing the same victory horn pattern. Memories

And the United match. We weren't expected to win and to actually win was crazy. I went with schoolmates, no accompanying adults which scared the crap out of my parents with us all heading to big bad London. Aside from all the obvious things about the victory, the match itself, for me it was the trip too with the nutters who sat near us in the Trinity Lower at the time. The coach. The beers they got for us (only a couple), the cigs, the freedom. Sounds petty I know but mid teens and no parents, great victory on and off the pitch that day. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, John said:

Villa 5 Liverpool 1 in 1976 was my best first half. Best game too many to pick just one other than the 82 final for its importance. I would also offer the 1970 LCSF Villa 2 Manchester United 1, the 1977 LCSF (R) Villa 3 QPR 0, the 1977 LCF (R2) Villa 3 Everton 2, the 1994 LCF Villa 3 Manchester United 1, the FA Cup SF Villa 2 Liverpool 1, D1 1980 Villa 3 Small Heath 0, D1 1981 Villa 2 Liverpool 0 & D3 1972 Villa 2 Bournemouth 1 from what would be my long list.   

Villa 5 Liverpool 1 in 1976, don't forget Sir Dennis Mortimer also hit the crossbar twice in this match, amazing the footage from it was destroyed, probably by some sad scouse bin dipper

• Like 2

Also sorry just got to throw one last one in. I could live for the rest of my life stuck in a Groundhog Day spanning the latter Ron times and Brian Little times

this match needs little introduction. But what it meant for me, around that time was in my mid teens, life was a sort of unknown quantity at that time but football a constant. I  was so in love with this club back then that watching some replay like this just brings so much back. Damn , life goes so quickly, this is as vivid as a yesterday for me.

Damn that's really got to me o:rolleyes:ne day, these times will come to VP again. For the club, I wouldn't want it to be the Man City / Chelsea way but somehow "our way" when one day we have an identity / trusted formation / settled squad and staff. We will know what our way is too one day. Personally I'd like it to be a blend of 

Iceland in the Euros 75% - who were like a fearless spaniel pup biting chunks off staffies and alsatians impetuously 

millwall 1% - and by that I mean only one thing. They have a phrase: 'no one likes us we don't care' and forget the obvious negatives about them but I mean their almost Wimbledon crazy gang plain just not giving a F , a bit like Iceland but with slight swagger of arrogance. 

Leaving 24 random per cent for hopefully some nice quick passing and retaining old school Liverpool style ,Pass and move, get forward... lose it? Get back and get that ball back asap repeat. With some in built Leicester / Ranieri

Anyway. On a tangent. But my point is, our spell there say 94 ish was magical. Football has moved on so much since. The cartel elite, ok were interrupted by Leicester but we have so many mountains to climb to even think just with Tony's wealth and ambition we could ever be one of the big boys again. So much so that all that BS about ah they can't take the memories off you. I love my memories of the old days and while I was 3 years old at the time of our greatest achievement, fair play to the lads on here who were around for it. Envy that. 

Oh and one random point is... you look at the young uns these days and the "sexy" teams like Chelsea Man City united, and it makes it even more special that kids support villa as they do. By that, I mean our sheer lack of success over the years. It'll come one day you skinny jeans wax-haired hipster millenials you! 

• 1 month later...

So there I am, as usual, busy doing nothing . What shall I Google, I ask myself and feeling a sense of nostalgia, I type in C - Crew, who , for those not in the know , were a good firm of Villa fans, back in the day when it was all about Pringle , Lyle and Scott and Farrah strides, and lest I forget , a hair style called the wedge , which I swerved. 

The result of my Google was a photo of the C - Crew on there way from town to the Sty , if memory serves me right, I'm sure that was the year we went in the Kop, we could be quite naughty at times;) . It was when I happen to look at the photo, that I said to myself , " I might be in that " , lo and behold, who do I spot ? A young handsome  Sheepy ,looking as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth , just a shame it was quite the opposite.

It just seemed really weird , in a nice way , that of all the things to Google I chose that ,anyway here's the link if you fancy a gander,you'll find me two back from the middle of the two smiling ,or is that snarling , wedge heads at the front : grey jacket ,black hair with my double crown defying gravity.  . https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c+crew+aston+villa&oq=c+crew&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.4891j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=JIOSgMa5lr7nBM:

• Like 1

My first game on the Holte the day we came back from 0-2 to relegate Coventry was pretty special!

In recent years maybe an odd one to choose but Norwich away in the league cup QF, Benteke was starting to show just how good he could be. Great atmosphere that night too.

27 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

The 2-1 against Ajax in 2008. Our first game back in Europe in a long time, and my first time back at Villa Park in a while. Atmosphere was electric and even better, we won!

The future looked so bright that night.

was at that game myself, we looked like we were going be a force. some members of that Ajax team didnt turn out too badly either

On 11/08/2017 at 18:52, mikeyp102 said:

Villa 6 Blackburn 4 best live game I've ever been to

This for me too.

What a game !!

Favourites on the tv were the 94 final first time I've seen us win something and the 2-0 vs inter Milan(91 I believe) purely because this was the match in which the villa chose me.

Edited by dounavilla

11 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

League Cup final vs United at Wembley - what a game and what an atmosphere!

Magical day:

After the birth of my children, the best day of my life!

• Like 2

Â