• O'Hare
    • Hogan
    • Hepburn-Murphy (Adomah 69)
    • Davis (Hogan 73)
    • De Laet (Green 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Perfomance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/17 at 13:59

Not a good performance, but the pitch was awful and the weather shite, so i'll let them off. Onomah has just locked in a starting role for the rest of the season. O'Hare was very good. Likewise Steer. 

• Like 1

Again, it was the final ball after good build up play that let us down.  Adomah and Hepburn-murphy were really guilty.  Put those balls on target and we're through on goal, 1 v 1.

It could and should have been game over much earlier than 75 mins.

The lack of that 2 goal cushion just inevitably invites pressure as the game (players) wears on. 

Was like a game of ping pong. Boys never seemed to get it under control (like always). Richehading back and forth. 

Nice to see the young guys play. Thought O'Hare was very lively. 

Bjnarson was aweful. Samba dodge. Hourihane and Onomah stayed in second gear all game. Nice to see RDL back. 

Jed Steer MOTM. 

Very unconvincing. 

Poor performance, not impressed with many players today. O'Hare looked good at times with some smart passes, but disaperred a lot. Samba looked awful, Bjarnasson is not a left back. Adomah looked decent, definitely considering the lack of pre season because of his injury. The Spurs fella looked decent also. Worst performance by Green so far, seems to lack confidence or something. Steer easy man of match for me. 

Overall - Perform like that in the Championship and it is a loss. Poor performance, but I guess we are not allowed to complain, as we won. 

• Like 1

O'Hare was good, Steer too, RHM when he came on was good, Onomah needs some others on his wavelength in order to get the best out of him I reckon. Very disappointed with Hourihane, spent most of the game standing still and pointing when he could have been doing something about when we didn't have the ball and didn't look very good with the ball either.

Poor as a whole, though, our 2 goals were both assisted by them, the second was offside. Took us a long time to wake up int eh second half, and whilst we carried a threat for a while we didn't score, against a league two side's second string central defence. Both first choices were injured. 

Not looking good, not looking good at all.

Edited by romavillan

In reality that was a very weak side we put out so not surprising we came under pressure. But they withstood it so that's a positive, The only other positive is we won a match. 

Continue to be puzzled at how Hogan managed so many goals with previous clubs. He doesn't seem to have that killer instinct that true goalscorers have.

The weather was the same for both teams, the pitch was the same for both teams. Colchester can feel a little bit hard done by with that result, we were largely outplayed but definitely outfought. Horrific performance and shows how weak our squad is.

Steer is definite no.2 keeper now, maybe should be pushing Johnstone. Sell Bunn? None of the kids are ready for a start but O'Hare is closest. Bjarnasson is going to have an awful career here if he's given limited game time and then in the wrong position - yes he was awful but easy to see why. Bruce's tactics stifle/ ignore midfield and we'll not see best from Hourihane either. Hogan's finishing is poor. If we ever have to play Samba then all is lost, awful performance in his position.

If we've replaced Baker with Samba and Amavi with Bjarnasson then we're in big trouble. More evidence that we're miles away from a promotion side. Great result, awful game and bad signs.

It wasn't pretty, but I'll take anything at this point. We need results to build up confidence. 

Plenty of positives. Steer was excellent, O'Hare too. Onomah and Hourihane showed there's no need to start Bacuna. Samba better towards the end. Chester solid as ever. Birkir and Green were awful though.

Impressed with O'Hare, Onomah and Steer while Samba settled in the second half. Subs left Villa's play a tad disjointed but in difficult conditions a win is always welcome.

That second string of Villa's is good enough imo to challenge top six in the Championship so no more excuses for Bruce.

But, but, we have the best squad in the championship...?

Outplayed by a poor League Two outfit who were beaten convincingly by Accrington at the weekend.

We're a very average side and will struggle with injuries to key players this season. 

Onomah and O'Hare the positives. 

Hourihane, Bree, Samba, Green, Adomah, Bjarnasson - shite.

Oh, and it was raining on the Colchester players too. 

Considering a), our history against lower league sides b.) the conditions - it was clearly so heavy under foot and wet, tough to play well and c) the mixed side with kids in, I think that is a satisfactory result.

Steer was excellent in goal - cracking crucial save at the end and he did his cause no hame

Bree - was fine ish, nothing enough to suggest Hutton won't start next week though

Samba - that tackle for the penalty was woeful :D but he did get his foot in the way for some useful clearances

Chester - solid and no nonsense

- Bjarnason - not a left back so a bit harsh to be too critical with him

Adomah - glad to see him back in action - a useful hour and in the second half showed some good forward thrust that had been missing beforehand.

Hourihane - tough game to really shine but there was some touches in the link up - should be given more forward license

Onomah - I barely saw him tbh

Green - good effort but still struggling with the end product, but conditions not helpful either

Hogan - glad to see him get a goal, still at times fumbling for sharpness, but it was a goal that got us under way, hope it gets him going

O'Hare - understandably enthusiasitc but lacked compousre, a bit over excited, and fluffed a couple of chances, but nice to see the lad out there, experience will do him good.

subs

davis - didn't do too much in his short time on the pitch

de laet - excellent to see him back in action on the pitch, only a few minutes but a positive all the same

RHM - showed a couple of glimpses of energy but difficult in the match situation to do too much.

Bruce - job done, a win away to a potential banana skin  of the dangers we know all too well. Performance was scruffy at times but the conditions were wretched and the team mixed. I'm glad he gave some minutes to the youngsters too. So, no criticism for him from me tonight.

Safe passage.

Onomah is going to instrumental for us this season I think. Breaks up play well, holds up the ball calmly and always looks up prior to passing. O'Hare looks promising too. Steer played the best game I've seen him in (my MOTM). Hogan makes some good runs, but really should have put that header away. Green I thought did well on the side challenging defenders and pushing play forward, something we really need to energize our attack.

I saw some glimpses of good play in Hourihane too, but he fell out of the game at times. He should really push along more when we attack to give the back pass option for a shot. Good to see Adomah back in the fold too. Does well to beat a man, but his crosses weren't right on the mark this evening.

Defensively Chester is the man. I'm never nervous when he's near the ball. Samba must've been drinking lean prior to the game, but gladly the effects seem to have worn off in the second half. Bree did alright and Birkir really shouldn't be playing at LB (I mean, why?) so I'm not going to thrash his poor performance.

It rained on everyone, but we won it. And mostly with a bunch of kids too. I'm happy with that. UTV!

• Like 1

We will not go up this season.  We can blame the weather, individual players, the squad strength/weakness, the fact it wasn't a league game or whatever you want. But the fact of the matter is we are being coached to mediocrity.  We are now Hull, or Blues or any other Bruce Club, dour, uninspiring and average.

• Like 1

Steer motm obviously.  Of the rest, Onomah is the one who continues to impress me. Composure way beyond his years and quick thinking in tight situations. Rarely wastes the ball and put probably our most dangerous ball into their box.  He's twice the player Hourihane is on this showing. I'll give Hourihane some credit for a couple of nice free kicks but in open play he was hopeless.

Callum O'Hare could be good. I'm not convinced at all by Green.

Â